Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Hi @John_E,
Great first up cover, a couple of tiny little mistakes.
Nothing to worry about, I wouldn’t try and record through the amp unless that’s what you want to do??
The tone you got going directly into the DAI was awesome and i love the tone from the bass, as well as it looking very cool with the covers on it.
I also like your album covers in the background, and i noticed one of my favourite albums as well, Boston.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I could have done another take and it would no doubt have been better than that one, but I was tired and figured that was as good as it was going to get. I’d just been playing my fretless so I guess I was used to that, hence the fret buzz LOL.
What do you mean by smashing the strings??

4 Likes

Hi @Vegaswizzle,
nice first up cover, couple of little timing issues.
I liked the way you dressed up your bass for the video, looked really cool.
You have a nice relaxed style of playing, and i liked the tone of the bass.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Hi @Retta75,
When i look at the videos, i write my comments before reading everyone else’s.
This way i form my own opinion, and after reading Jerry’s comments and your response around the arm chair, this could also explain some of the reason around what i observed.
You may not be in a comfy position sitting on the edge??
Everyone has their own style of playing, and if this works for you that’s OK.
I just think by watching you play you appear to be very aggressive when plucking the strings, sometimes we do things without even noticing, and it takes someone to point out an opportunity for improvement, so please don’t take my comments as an insult, I only want to see you improve your playing.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

It’s all good, I just wasn’t sure what you meant about smashing the strings :slight_smile: I’m always happy to receive constructive criticism because I am a fairly new player but I’m not up on the lingo I guess haha. Also, I can be aggressive when its a song I’m really into. Like you said, I don’t even realize I’m doing it haha. I just play how I play :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey All,

Here’s my take. I wasn’t able to spend as much time with this as I would have liked, but I had fun doing this! I’m excited for the next song.

I look forward to watching everyone else’s takes.

Jay

26 Likes

I think what you were hearing is the bass overdriving the phone mic causing the song to drop out. Might be able to fix it by making the two roughly the same loudness.

I thought it turned out just fine though. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks, I was wondering what was causing that.

2 Likes

Alright fellows, this took longer than expected and is not exactly my finest playing. But I’m quite happy with it and proud to add my “voice” to the wonderful choir that has emerged these past days! I’m really impressed with everybody’s playing and all your individual styles.
Had so much fun spending time with this song but now it’s time to let it go and move on to the next. (or even squeeze in some B2B lessons again…)
Enjoy!

EDIT: It really bugged me that audio and video weren’t synched in the video I uploaded last night. After spending ages to record, I got sloppy (tired) at the finishing line. So I spent a few more minutes editing this morning and here is an improved version.

28 Likes

Hi Jay, @TK-421,
nice job, love the tone from your bass, couple of little blemishes up on the 12 back to the 10th, and you know where the others were, cuz i saw you smiling :+1:.
all in all very relaxed playing and right in the groove,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Hey @Regina,
Nice first up cover, again a couple little issues, i liked the way you were counting time while playing.
Nice tone , and there was a a bit of an issue with the synching of the video with the track.
It takes time to get that perfect, i look back at some of my early covers and cringe at the stuff i put up.
Its all a learning curve and you are making nice progress and looking really relaxed and in the groove,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

@Vegaswizzle Great job on this. Only minor thing I noticed was the end of the first repeat (the one with the two different endings) I think you played the quarter note as an eighth note, but that’s the only significant thing I noticed. BTW, lovely bass too! And nice to see the video editing. :slight_smile:

@TK-421 Really well done as well. Everything seemed to be where it should be. Bit of fret buzz here and there, but that will improve with time, so don’t stress that. I think it was mostly when you used your pinky, so am guessing it’s a pinky strength thing, which I have an issue with too. Gotta work that sucker out. :slight_smile:

@Regina Awesome job on this! I know you were working in particular on the rhythm as you found it tricky on this song and I think your work definitely paid off. Sounded spot on to me. And I’m jealous how parallel your fingers are to the frets! I really struggle with that. The video and audio weren’t exactly in sync, but that’s no big deal. We’ll all be video ninjas by the end of this.

I’m really impressed with all these videos everyone is doing and thrilled everyone is giving this their all. I didn’t expect such a large group and it makes me proud to be part of this awesome community. I’ll get mine out there sometime this week. Hope no-one is expecting perfection. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

My goodness I wish I could get my left hand to be in that position! Your fingers move effortlessly! Nice job. Good groove!

5 Likes

Great job! Great tone (nice bass too!). May want to have some of the notes ring a bit longer. Great job hitting the rests spot on.
Moving up to the 12th/10th fret I struggled with the tone being louder and a bit wonky as you did. I found a lighter pluck was needed to try to even it out. At first I thought it was my bass but I think since we both have similar Fender P’s it may just be a thing about them when strings get closer to the pickups going up the neck. Maybe someone knows? I don’t notice this as much on my jazz bass.

5 Likes

I just did a setup on my bass and I’ve noticed how much impact this has on the volume of each string. Fender advises you to have your pickups higher on the G string than the E string for example. Have a look at this link. I’m still experimenting on this… Lets talk on Discord or in another thread though, but it’s an interesting topic.

4 Likes

That was amazing! Maybe one mis-timed note in the solo, but the recording is great, the tone amazing. Not the mention the decor behind you!
:slight_smile:

Did you sync the audio and video post-recording?
What do you use to do it?

4 Likes

Great tone, feels like you are a bit ahead of the band though.
A few of us seem to want to push the song further. :slight_smile:

Is it a Strandberg bass?

2 Likes

Yes, I did, used Davinci Resolve. Side note, had no audio on my video side as i did not have a speaker setup on the focusrite, so did it a bit ‘manually’ but it worked! adding speaker for a monitor to focusrite for next time.

THANKS!!!

3 Likes

That was great!
Very relaxed, precise, great job on the slide timing.
Love the fadeout at the end too, the little touches…

5 Likes

:clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4:
Great job everyone! I was not planning to jump in since I started the course recently but I feel like I’m missing out the fun by not participating. Loving it!!!

9 Likes