Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Yes, I did, used Davinci Resolve. Side note, had no audio on my video side as i did not have a speaker setup on the focusrite, so did it a bit ‘manually’ but it worked! adding speaker for a monitor to focusrite for next time.

THANKS!!!

3 Likes

That was great!
Very relaxed, precise, great job on the slide timing.
Love the fadeout at the end too, the little touches…

5 Likes

:clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4:
Great job everyone! I was not planning to jump in since I started the course recently but I feel like I’m missing out the fun by not participating. Loving it!!!

9 Likes

Don’t worry, you’ll catch up. There are 11 songs in the easy category, so that’s 22 weeks. And a lot of these are doable just halfway into B2B.

4 Likes

Hey, its an green Ibanez, so I put a brick wall on it lol its an ehb1005

3 Likes

Great job so far everyone! Love how much activity this is getting and hearing everyone’s recordings. I liked the brick greenscreen effect on the bass from @Vegaswizzle, that was pretty creative. Here’s my contribution. Recorded on Fender P with La Bella flats, tone about 50%, direct into DAI.

This is the first time I’ve tried recording video of myself – all of my previous covers were audio-only. Figure it makes sense, with this challenge being all about feedback and improving together. I will say recording video has made me aware of how much of a “flying finger” my pinkie still is :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Really well done! I didn’t notice any mistakes at all.

Only thing I could throw out for improvement (besides the flying pinky [mine is the same!]) is that you lose a bit of efficiency in movement on your slide to the 12th because you are using your middle finger then micro-shifting to get your pointer finger on the 10th. If you slide with your pinky or ring finger, then you won’t have to micro-shift as you can just hit the 10th fret with your pointer finger. Honestly, this is just be trying to give you something to look at since you asked for feedback to improve, but it doesn’t impact what the song sounds like. However, in a faster piece of music, you might find little elements like that can make a difference. You really did an amazing job though. Probably better than I’ll be doing. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

That was a great cover, and great tone as well.

Have you tried using the ring finger for the slide? You’d probably have an easier time with the 10th fret.

4 Likes

@JT and @akos thanks, I practiced this one quite a bit :slight_smile: and agree 100% that it’s better to slide with ring or pinky in this song for economy of motion’s sake. Unfortunately I am not totally comfortable yet sliding with those fingers, I still miss my target a lot. Had a couple attempts where sliding with ring finger screwed up an otherwise good recording so I went with what I knew would work for me, efficiency be damned :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

That’s totally cool. Especially if you were already aware. I was just being nit-picky and trying to give you some useful feedback. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Whatever works best for you is the best choice. :slight_smile: I tried a lot with the pinky, but just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t keep it straight during the slide, and it always ended up pointing sideways, under my middle finger. That’s why I went for the ring finger instead.

4 Likes

@MattHinchliffe - Great job, you sounded great!

@y.farkash - you sound definitely keep recording and sharing because you sounded great!

@Regina - Nice playing! It was super smooth and solid. Loved your tone as well. Nice work!

@akos - Your version sounded fantastic, nicely played!

@Retta75 - Okay, there is only one way to play the first D bomb, and you nailed it! Nice work on the song it sounded really good.

@John_E - You sounded great, nice work! Do you often have your tone rolled off, or you change with the song? Also, do you ever have it wide open?

@Vegaswizzle - That brick overlay on the bass is amazing! Nice work your playing and tone sounded great.

@bjams - That was a great take. All of your notes were right on the money. Nick work!

8 Likes

Awesome work @bjams! :star_struck:

Regarding the slide: I use my pinky stabilised by my ring finger with my eyes fixed on the 12th fret.

I’m intrigued by how many different ways there are to fret and how many individual challenges and solutions.

6 Likes

Wow, that was amazing!
Really, I love everything about this one. :slight_smile:
Flying pinky aside, the timing was spot on, the tone perfect for the song. I couldn’t tell I am listening to anythig but the original…

5 Likes

Thanks, TK :slight_smile: I do love those low D’s and E’s :wink:

5 Likes

Great job @Vegaswizzle! The five string sounded good. I also like the way you super-imposed the Brick Wall on the body of your bass.
:+1:

5 Likes

Nice job @bjams,
great tone, hit every point :+1:,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good idea, don’t know why I haven’t tried that

4 Likes

Okay, here’s my take. Used my phone to record it, have no idea why I shot it vertically. Constructive feedback most welcome!

17 Likes

Well done on that! Proved you don’t need any fancy video stuff for this challenge. I love the head bob Joe Dart thing you have going on to keep the beat. :slight_smile:

I am left wondering what your shirt says in full though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes