Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Wow, that was amazing!
Really, I love everything about this one. :slight_smile:
Flying pinky aside, the timing was spot on, the tone perfect for the song. I couldn’t tell I am listening to anythig but the original…

5 Likes

Thanks, TK :slight_smile: I do love those low D’s and E’s :wink:

5 Likes

Great job @Vegaswizzle! The five string sounded good. I also like the way you super-imposed the Brick Wall on the body of your bass.
:+1:

5 Likes

Nice job @bjams,
great tone, hit every point :+1:,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good idea, don’t know why I haven’t tried that

4 Likes

Okay, here’s my take. Used my phone to record it, have no idea why I shot it vertically. Constructive feedback most welcome!

17 Likes

Well done on that! Proved you don’t need any fancy video stuff for this challenge. I love the head bob Joe Dart thing you have going on to keep the beat. :slight_smile:

I am left wondering what your shirt says in full though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Nice cover :slight_smile: Only thing I’ve noticed is that sometimes you really curl up your middle finger (I think it’s when you fret with your ring finger). That’s probably something worth working on. The closer you keep your fingers to the fretboard, the easier it is to “send them into action” when needed.

5 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t fully realise I was bobbing my head until watching the recording, hehe. I stomped my feet during a previous attempt, but it sounded pretty distracting.

Many good videos posted on here, though too many to comment on individually. Fun to see such participation!

And the text on my shirt is a certain Arnold quote from Commando :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah, I noticed my hand acting kinda strange when watching the video, have to work on that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @kowry,
Good first up cover,
The tone was probably a little brite in the the mix, a few fretting issues, some minor timing issues.
The low D in the song ceases after 1 bar, you let it ring out for a couple of bars, its no big deal, minor thing.
As you develop you will see big improvements in your fretting fingers from an economy perspective.
Another thing I’d probably do is keep this recording in the archives and do it again in 6 months and compare them.
You will be amazed, keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

super super tone!

Great job!
Nice wall back there

3 Likes

Excellent!
Man I need to up my video production game now too!

3 Likes

I slid with my Index but put my ring finger down on the 12th fret instead of going all the way up…another option, seemed to work ok for me, and no one missed the sound of poor fret 11.

3 Likes

Just for clarity, the open D ceases after 2 bars, not 1. But yeah, he let it go for 3 bars. It’s not very clear in the tab though to be fair.

2 Likes

thanks @John_E lol I just noticed that my wall is very on-theme for this one. However I can’t promise I will be changing walls for each song :slightly_smiling_face:

And +1 to your point about sliding with index and using another finger to fret 12, I think that works just fine.

3 Likes

@TK-421 - I’ve been into the Motown thing lately where the tone is rolled off and my ear is now happy there. I think I am starting to dislike any highs on bass. I read somewhere where someone said "why in the hell is there a trebble knob on a BASS?. I do get why, haha, but liked how it sounded as is.

5 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve been struggling lately with “what do I want my tone to be?” and it’s helpful to hear what everyone else is doing. Currently, I have my amp at 5 (noon) for bass, mids and treble. And my tone is between 50% and 60% “on.” I do love the Motown bass tone… buttery goodness.

3 Likes

Lol, Video production is above my comprehension. my dad is starting to learn how to do it since he just retired. So I send him my audio from my DAW and my video from my phone and he put them together for me lol.

6 Likes

Hi @JT,
The written music shows 1 bar D and 3 bars rest before playing the open D for 1 1/2 beats onto C for 1/2 and full note on D and 1 beat rest.
Unless i am looking at a different transcription??
Cheers Brian

1 Like