Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Very well done @bjams! Good tone and performance!
:+1:

3 Likes

Good job @kowry! A bit ‘bright’ on the tone but performance was good! Keep it up!
:+1:

4 Likes

There’s not much I can add to what has already been said. So I’ll just leave a few remarks

@y.farkash love the tone! I think the bass could be a little more prominent in the mix, overall great job!

@akos beautiful bass! I noticed some minor minor minor tempo issues and some notes deserved a little more length. Nevertheless, great job. The issues you refer with tempo are something that struck with me. When I’m recording, I think I nailed it 100% and when I check back with the recording I notice some tempo issues as well.

@Retta75 gotta love that MusicMan tone. Love the energy. Some fretting issues, probably related with looking away from the fretboard. And maybe too much force used when plucking. Nothing much, with practice this stuff will go away pretty quickly. That periodic table :smiley:

@BigAl nothing to feel sorry about. We’re all here for the same purpose. Juicy tone. Would love to hear it recorded directly.

@John_E love the environment and the tone. You look very relaxed. I like how you anchor your right hand with the pick. As other already said, some minor tempo issues and 1x more on the last portion of the song. Great job!

@Vegaswizzle very nice detail with the brick magic on your bass. That’s what I call being dressed for the occasion. Are the frets slanted or is it just an optical illusion? Don’t you get tired with the right arm hovering the bass instead of “sitting” on the bass? Great job!

@TK-421 groovy and relaxed, loved the attitude. Also very good tone. I think some of the notes were cut too short and 1 or 2 fretting issues, nothing to worry. Good job. And Settlers of Catan for the win.

@Regina as I told you on discord, I love how lightly you touch the strings. Really uncommon for a beginner. I had to do focused practice to get rid of this issue. Although it’s noticeable you’re counting you look very relaxed and in the groove, very nice attitude. Great great job.

@bjams Yeah, recording will reveal all our secrets :joy: . FWIW I think that your fingers didn’t flew that much, it was within acceptable distance, imo. Love the tone, I’m excited to try my LaBella’s also, now even more. Love the practice corner.

@kowry vertical shots are very instagrammable :innocent: . A bit of the flying finger disease (it plagues us all) and also the dreaded pinky curl. To address these issues I recommend some focused exercises on just that (keeping the fingers close to the fingerboard and relaxed). Other than that great job!

I’m so excited with all the participation. I confess I wasn’t expecting this much involvement! Congratulations @JT for the initiative!

Beautiful job so far everyone!

12 Likes

Thanks for your comment :slight_smile: I’m still kinda getting used to the MM, not having a neck pickup to rest my thumb on like I had with my old bass. And still getting familiar with the fretboard so I don’t have to look AS much. When I play I’m using Go Play Along so I kinda have to look at the computer screen more than I’d like until I’m more familiar with the song :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@gcancella
I just noticed this challenge today, March 17th. I think I can learn it and post a video–the video part is more challenging, actually, I have to do it on mobile. The backing track would be helpful. How do I get it?
Paul D.

6 Likes

Hi Guys,
I decided to join the party and do a cover of the Pink Floyd “Another brick in the wall”.
I did the cover twice using my 79 P Bass and the other using my 74 J Bass.
The reason I decide to post both was I couldn’t decide which version I liked better.
Cheers Brian
https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2021/03/17/another-brick-in-the-wall-part2/

15 Likes

Hi Guys,
J -Bass version,
Cheers Brian

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2021/03/18/another-brick-in-the-wall-j-bass-version/

12 Likes

Hi Brian,
both sound fantastic and for some reason I love watching your fretting hand! Something very elegant about it. Also love your groove and how you’re into it. Can totally picture you on stage. :star_struck:

And thank you for sharing both versions. I wouldn’t be able to decide which one I like better either. I’ve started contemplating whether my next bass should be a J or P bass and it’s great to have such a good comparison.

3 Likes

Great job on these! I wish I had long fingers like you do! I’m a Jazz bass man, but on these recordings I think the P-Bass sounds closer to the original, so prefer that one.

2 Likes

@TNKA36 Nice! Agreeing with Regina that those serve as a good P and J bass comparison.

Dunno if you’re aware of this, but I can’t watch the Quicktime (.mov) videos on Firefox, so I had to open the videos in Chrome. Based on quick googling seems to be that it’s because of the encoding (not mp4), so using other file format/encoding could be a thing you could consider in future uploads :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We’ve actually had 13 submissions so far! That’s awesome! I’m planning on doing mine this weekend and I know a few others are. Out of curiosity, are there any people doing this challenge that aren’t doing a video? That’s perfectly fine, I’m just curious.

3 Likes

Just checked them out, Brian @TNKA36 . . . well done!

Although I’m a J-Bass fan, I think I liked the tone on your P-Bass better :thinking:

(either way, both basses are sweet . . . real collector items :wink: )

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Beautiful covers. The 2nd one sounded like it had some kind of phasing here and there. Are you using our backing tracks?

I also like those detailed credits with the bass and string info you leave at the end.

As always you look very relaxed and in the words of @Regina, very elegant while playing.

3 Likes

Very nice @JT,
I thought I was listening to the original :+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Hi @Regina , @JT, @kowry, @Jazzbass19, @gcancella,
Thanks for the feedback,
I thought it was important to participate with everyone on the forum that has had a go at this first song.
Thanks @JT for your drive in getting it up and going, this type of participation encourages everyone to jump on board, we all learn by motivating each other to strive to be better players.:+1:
Thanks for the sheet music for 4 + 5 string @gcancella,
This makes it easier for everyone to participate, great effort to everyone who has been involved.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Hi @gcancella,
I’m not using any backing tracks on either, I recorded against the original track using garageband, just wiped the bass track out and recorded against the rest👍
I did use the transcribed music you put up :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Can’t really take credit for this one, 4 string is Josh’s and 5 string adaptation was done by Enkhiel. But I’m glad you found it useful!

3 Likes

Ye @JT I think I will be doing it and not recording. Im going to start next week… When I move I think I may start recording then more room and a techie boyfriend lol

5 Likes

This is such a great idea and thread @JT . It’s great watching all of these covers. I just ran through the song again myself last night a few times. Maybe this is a tip or trick, and has undoubtedly been talked about before, but for me (no equipment guy) I played the song on a decent speaker, and then practiced without an amp. That helped with the timing and being able to hear the original bass line, and then I turned my amp volume up. My play through was not perfect, still a few mistakes here and there, but it was perfectly cromulent.

Also @TK-421 wins the best forum name award me thinks…

6 Likes

@Regina your next bass should be … one of each!
my next will most likely be a MM!!

5 Likes