Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

@Regina your next bass should be … one of each!
my next will most likely be a MM!!

5 Likes

These are both GREAT! Well done!
I am leaning more and more P bass the more I play mine.

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E,
The MM’s are really nice, mine has a really smooth neck and your fingers just glide real smooth,
i might use it on the next cover,
Cheers Brian

Hey Brian!
Two great covers as usual. I loved the comparison with the P and J basses. Glad to see you’re joining the challenge.

3 Likes

Just getting started. I am excited as this was perfect timing for me. I haven’t been practicing and I was hoping for inspiration. This could be the structure I needed. I will be behind at first and on music row this weekend. Video will have to wait till I catch up. Thanks so very much for the challenge. If I don’t practice then I will be letting everyone involved down. That’s key.

3 Likes

Wow, so many great covers already. Every time another one gets posted I get more nervous about having to post mine!
I won’t comment on them individually because i’m just not experienced enough, but I will say that they are all terrific and I think everyone deserves a big :+1: for giving it a go!

Okay, so this is my first cover ever! Took me a few goes to get the video and audio in one take but I think this is as good as I can get it.
The bass is a Yamaha TRBX174EW, straight into my Behringer UMC22, then into GarageBand, put it all together in imovie.

Cheers Brendan

22 Likes

Hey @Regina,
They are both great basses, and again it comes down to what type of sound you want.
If you have small hands the J-bass would probably be a better fit as it’s got a narrower neck on it, and it has the front and rear pick ups that can give more options as opposed to the fatter neck on the P-bass and the single pick ups.
I would try both and then make my decision based on what feels comfortable in your hands.
My J-bass is a lot heavier than the P-bass, not sure if it’s due to it being older and pre CBS.
Hope this helps you when you choose what you want.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hi @Brendan,
For your first cover you did an awesome job, hit every point spot on, nice tone and mix😎
If I was going to be critical on anything, I would say you should try and clean up your economy when moving your fingers on the fretboard.
But if you are comfortable doing it the way you currently are that ok :+1:
On faster songs that type of shifting may be difficult to sustain.
Great job,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hi @Brendan,
I record all my covers exactly the same way as you, garageband, photobooth and mix in iMovie.
Only difference is I us a presonus DAI,
Forgot to mention your Yammie looks really nice👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Glad to have you on-board. Don’t stress it about rushing a video out. We’re doing 2 weeks for each song, so there is plenty of time to catch-up if that’s your intention. Or you can just join in on the songs you feel like doing. Totally up to you. Just glad to have more people involved.

2 Likes

Really impressive for your first cover Brendan. You are definitely there with the rest of us. Couldn’t really fault this to be honest. You hit every note when you should and all were clear. Really nice job!

Also, your fret wrap is exactly what this song needs as it makes that open D end at the perfect time! It really gives this the feel of the original recording. I’ve been on the fence on those, but might pick one up for situations like this.

4 Likes

Excellent first cover @Brendan! Good tone and performance!
:+1:

4 Likes

Hi @TNKA36, Thanks! Yeah its great having a video to see me actually play, i’ll have to work on my fingering. I have found it pretty amazing whats possible with just the free pre loaded programs, it did take me a fair bit of mucking around to get the video and music synced up though, still don’t think it is perfect, but close enough. I like the look of my Yamaha too, it has been a really good first bass, the fit and finish is really nice, and I find it fun to play, the worst thing was the standard strings, but their gone now.

Hi @JT, Firstly, thanks for getting this all kicked off i’m looking forward to trying to get some more of the covers done, and cheers for the kind words on this cover. On the fret wrap, well this is the first time I have experimented with one, for the same reasons you list, I just wanted to tame some of the sustain on the open strings to try and somewhat match the original. I did not buy mine though, just for this experiment I pinched my 10yo daughters hair ‘scrunchi’ and just wrapped it around the first fret, seemed to work exactly like I was hoping. I would be happy to use it again if I find another song that I feel warrants it.

Hey @JerryP, Thanks mate! Hopefully I can improve as we move along!

Cheers Brendan

5 Likes

@Brendon Nice. Youv’e got that bass player look just right.

4 Likes

@Brendan I have to agree with everyone else, nice work. Your take sounded great! I’m glad you decided to join the challenge!

4 Likes

I’m doing it, it’s too fun to pass… I’m trying to record myself with my phone, just bass and amp gear wise… I see that @kowry you used your phone also and did not upload to youtube unlike most here, how did you do it? I’ll try to upload a vid with my attempt

4 Likes

Not sure what part of the process you mean, but I transferred the video from my phone to my laptop via my instant messenger app, and uploaded it to Vimeo, which seems to be the choice of several others here also. You can upload videos to Vimeo just the same way as to Youtube, but you have to pay for a subscription for more upload capacity, video editing options and such. I try to up my production values a bit as the challenge progresses :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks, I meant the uploading… not familiar with Vimeo :thinking:

3 Likes

Great job!
I have a fret wrap and have no idea when to use it.
Now I know…a song too late, ha!

4 Likes

Alright, here it goes :grimacing:… Watch out for flying fret fingers, missed notes, and a few sharp buzzes :joy:
I didn’t think I was gonna feel comfortable doing a cover this early in my training, but I figured it’s a good baseline to see my progress later.
Recorded on my phone (iPhone 7+), while song played through amp.

18 Likes