Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

@Brendan I have to agree with everyone else, nice work. Your take sounded great! Iā€™m glad you decided to join the challenge!

4 Likes

Iā€™m doing it, itā€™s too fun to passā€¦ Iā€™m trying to record myself with my phone, just bass and amp gear wiseā€¦ I see that @kowry you used your phone also and did not upload to youtube unlike most here, how did you do it? Iā€™ll try to upload a vid with my attempt

4 Likes

Not sure what part of the process you mean, but I transferred the video from my phone to my laptop via my instant messenger app, and uploaded it to Vimeo, which seems to be the choice of several others here also. You can upload videos to Vimeo just the same way as to Youtube, but you have to pay for a subscription for more upload capacity, video editing options and such. I try to up my production values a bit as the challenge progresses :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks, I meant the uploadingā€¦ not familiar with Vimeo :thinking:

3 Likes

Great job!
I have a fret wrap and have no idea when to use it.
Now I knowā€¦a song too late, ha!

4 Likes

Alright, here it goes :grimacing:ā€¦ Watch out for flying fret fingers, missed notes, and a few sharp buzzes :joy:
I didnā€™t think I was gonna feel comfortable doing a cover this early in my training, but I figured itā€™s a good baseline to see my progress later.
Recorded on my phone (iPhone 7+), while song played through amp.

18 Likes

Good job @Anderson!
:+1:

3 Likes

Nice job on your first cover :slight_smile:

Is the one finger plucking a deliberate choice? Getting used to alternating plucking would probably make your life easier in the long run.

4 Likes

No, unfortunately it was a lack of focus. I tried alternating in some earlier takes, and was throwing me off. I do aim to alternate when practicing.

4 Likes

Hi @Anderson,
Great job of putting your self out there and sharing your first cover.
You are absolutely correct in doing this as a baseline to compare your progress.
I think if you put the sheet music on your left side so you can read it while looking at the fretboard you will instantly see a big improvement.
Great effort, keep up the good work :+1:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Hey @Anderson nice job!
I think you know your timing issues based on your ā€˜Mensa-mensaā€™ sign mid way. Thatā€™s what this is all about. Videoing ourselves ainā€™t easy.

You are doing great! I think we will all get more comfortable with the video/bass/audio thing as we go and settle into the groove.

I recorded Bad Moon Rising tonight and did the ā€˜one finger pluckā€™ through most of it, which I donā€™t normally do, but felt comfortable. Whatever works I say!

keep up the good work!!

4 Likes

Congrats on your first cover video and well done! Sure, it wasnā€™t perfect, but there wasnā€™t anything fundamentally wrong with it. As in, the things you missed were simply things all beginners need to practice as we arenā€™t bass playing masters out of the womb. Having to watch the tab and your fretting hand at the same time is not easy! Thatā€™s why I do recommend memorizing any songs where time allows it, because then you have one less thing to worry about. I appreciate not everyone has the time or desire to do that though.

What I think was excellent to see is that you recognized when you did something wrong. Awareness of mistakes and intentionally practicing those elements is the key to getting better. I have no doubt that you will quickly progress on all of these things.

As I did mention on Discord though, one-finger plucking might work for slow songs, but it will become a barrier when we get into the faster songs later on. Just imagine running on one leg instead of two. You just canā€™t go as fast and itā€™s a hell of a lot more tiring. So, thatā€™s something I would try to work on when you can. I know getting fingers to do what you want is hard sometimes though. Iā€™ve been playing various instruments for over 30 years and my pinky still acts like a stubborn teenager. :stuck_out_tongue:

Again though, great job on your first cover and thanks for taking the plunge and sharing your playing with us. First one is always the hardest.

4 Likes

Great effort there @Anderson ! Donā€™t worry about flubs, just keep on going. Youā€™re lightyears ahead of me :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I actually thought by one finger plucking the slow driving beat came out better vs. the slight variability in two fingers and keeping things sounding even beat by beat. Yes, this is due to my technique not being consistent across two fingers. That said, Jamerson used one finger and it worked out ā€œsorta okā€ for him. :rofl:

4 Likes

Well, I finally decided to give this a go as well. Iā€™m about six months into the B2B course, currently at Module 12, and the only feedback Iā€™ve gotten so far is Josh telling me Iā€™ve done an awesome job. Thing is, he even says that when I know I didnā€™t do an awesome job at all :smile:

So Iā€™m putting myself out there, in many different ways all at the same time. This is the first time ever that anyone can hear or see me play. This is the first time ever that Iā€™ve recorded myself using my telephone, DAI and DAW. This is the first time Iā€™ve mixed my own recorded track with a backing track (which I ā€œcreatedā€ using Moises), and then with a video.

Plenty of opportunities to make mistakes, and Iā€™m sure I made a few. For instance, the bass track is probably a bit too loud. Recording myself took quite a couple of takes until I had one that I was reasonably satisfied with. I know thereā€™s still a couple of mistakes in there, but Iā€™ve decided that this is as good as itā€™s going to get. Hope you like it; looking forward to some constructive criticism!

22 Likes

I think you should trust your trusted Bass teacher with that! :wink:

As far as Iā€™m concerned, you did a fantastic job on this one and I really enjoyed listening and watching you play. I honestly donā€™t know which mistakes you are talking about.

What I love most about this entire challenge so far is that people (myself included) feel encouraged and comfortable enough to put themselves out there, many for the first time. Thatā€™s wonderful to see and says a lot about this community. :heart:

9 Likes

Sometimes people have super-human abilities, but most of us donā€™t unfortunately. :slight_smile:

A cheat for what you are talking about is to use a compressor, though Iā€™d recommend trying to work on getting even volume and not relying on a compressor to fix that for you. It does help though if thatā€™s what you are after.

2 Likes

You totally smashed that! I couldnā€™t really tell any difference from the original and didnā€™t hear any mistakes. Your fingers are all doing what they should be doing. Your left hand is parallel to the frets, which I really struggle with. The sound is even volume through the entirety of the song. Didnā€™t hear any fret buzz or undesired noises. Sorry, Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t find anything to criticize for you this time around. Maybe next time! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Fantastic!! I think the mix is really good. I struggle with that too. I think when you listen to yourself over and over you start to doubt everything (at least thatā€™s me). What I try doing is playing it back and go do something else like Iā€™m just listening to a song and see if anything pops out at me as odd Vs the original.

5 Likes

Hi @Mike_NL,
Great job, hit every point, the bass was perfectly mixed.
Only thing I think you could add is a description of your bass and strings etc.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes