Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Alright here’s my attempt, never did anything like this before, I wouldn’t do it without the challenge and this forum.
Recorded with Bass, amp and cellphone while playing the YouTube video on the built in PC speakers, hit record, hit play and go…
I didn’t realize how far I move my right thumb (aware of my left hand high kicks) some missed notes plus other stuff, but here got through the whole thing :grinning:

18 Likes

Great job on your first video! You did pretty well. The timing on the last note of the first big repeat was off and the solo timing was a bit off, but I overall you did good! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Here it goes!

Not 100% happy, some issues, especially in that last segment. But as you can see by my face, I’m tired of recording and re-recording :sweat_smile:. I’m just glad to join all of you guys in this adventure. It’s actually my first recorded cover since 12 years now (my experience doesn’t reflect those 12 years though)

Recorded with my Frankenjazz (JMS Vintage Master) with LaBella’s Deep Talkin’ flats. I meant to record only with the neck pickup but I totally forgot about it… Recorded the bass directly into Behringer UMC204HD using Reaper, used a bit of compression and a bit of eq. Video recorded with my phone and synced everything on Premiere.

18 Likes

Wow! Nailed it! Awesome job on this! Love the tone too. Didn’t detect any blips whatsoever. Looking forward to hearing your next one.

3 Likes

That sounded great, @gcancella . . . :slight_smile:

Well played!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

And here is mine. Cheers!

16 Likes

Really good job enkhiel! I think your bass was slightly behind the backing track, but that’s no big deal. It can be hard to match them up perfectly and I’m guessing that’s just a software thing. You also played the solo repeat one time too many, but that’s minor too. That bit is tricky. Just nit-picking though for constructive criticism. That’s the only things I noticed that weren’t spot on. Loved the bass tone. Awesome job overall!

5 Likes

Nice first up effort @Reo,
couple small things like you mentioned.
One thing was you carried on after the bass part finished its part, i think by 2 bars, no big deal.
You had nice tone and you looked pretty relaxed, didn’t rush anything, that’s really good.
A description of your awesome bass, strings etc could be added on your next one.
I’m glad this challenge has motivated you to have a go, that’s how we all continue to develop. well done :+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great job @gcancella,
love the tone from that bass, you looked really comfortable playing, right in the pocket.
Thanks for getting onboard,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Nice job @enkhiel, i noticed a tone thing going on for about the first half of the song on the D & A strings mainly.
Thanks for sharing the 5 sting transcription, you looked relaxed playing that black stealthy looking 5ver.
Couple small things as mentioned by @JT, but again that’s how we keep on learning,
thanks for sharing your journey so far,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great job! You are way too critical of yourself. Give a pat on the back instead. This was very good!

3 Likes

Great job, nice bass, outstanding beard!!

I have the TRBX305 and now I have 5-er envy!

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Yeah I noticed that the higher notes have much less signal then the low D, normally I’d expect it physically to be the other way around, no?
I think my bass eq is settled in the mid for bass and treble, so I don’t know.

5 Likes

It’s probably pickup height. Try raising it a little on the G side.

7 Likes

I was so focused on your bass and your fingers that I didn’t even notice you were wearing a kilt :joy: At least, I think you were, right? Totally awesome :+1:

5 Likes

Yeah I do :sweat_smile:
I like the fresh breeze and those are comfy af.
Plan on wearing one for every recording.

6 Likes

Thanks much for the kind words @JT @TNKA36 @Jazzbass19… Appreciate it.

Yeah, when I watched it back, I was surprised by how much I moved around. lol. I’m certainly no dancer. And it’s the only concert shirt I’ll have for this challenge, so I had to use it - I’ve watched too many BassBuzz videos not to… :slight_smile:

I’ll look into it - thanks!

5 Likes

Thanks @JT and @TNKA36, I definitely had a hard time ending the section, just couldn’t get the timing of the last two notes, which then bleeds into the timing for the solo part.
Regarding the bass @TNKA36 it’s a Sterling Sub4, with factory strings (roundwuond), the amp is an acoustic B50C, and I recorded with an iPhone 8

4 Likes

Hi @TNKA36
I have a mac and would be recording using the same tools as you, it sounds like. Any links you can share for reference on garageband, imovie would be appreciated.

PS. I’ll search the forums for links on video recording but if anyone has a pointer that would be great!
Thanks!
John

4 Likes

Really well done. Great shirt too. Love the tone man.

4 Likes