Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

There’s no easy way. See this thread:

4 Likes

Join the Discord. We have what you are looking for there… And more…

3 Likes

What is the Discord? Where do I join?

4 Likes

Discord is a chat program. We have around 50 BassBuzzers that have joined and we talk about all sorts of stuff. Just like the forum, but in real-time. It also has voice and video channels, but those are totally optional. Here’s an overview of Discord:

To join, just follow this link:

If you are struggling with any of it, just let me know.

3 Likes

Struggled at 1st, but was able to join through phone a lot easier than the computer :desktop_computer:. Thanks, Mate and Cheers :beers:

4 Likes
15 Likes

Great job! Seemed spot on to me. Liked the video production too. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Good job on the cover! Where did you get the backing track? :+1:

3 Likes

Well done! FANCY!

4 Likes

Nice job @MattHinchliffe,
Great production and nice tone from your bass,
Cheers Brian

1 Like

We have backing tracks on the Discord. :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve been hesitant to answer this because I don’t want to come off as nit-picking - the original comment was not a critique at all (I hope that’s clear) - it’s jut part of what led to me to ask about you using a different transcription… It was just 3 measures where you ended the measure with 2 eighths rather than the 1 quarter that the transcription I’m using shows. Measures 31, 32 and 42 (1:23, 1:25 and 1:53 in the video).

4 Likes

So rolling into my 5th month on Bass and it’s been a slice. My Strat is hanging on the wall unplayed and wondering what’s it’s done wrong.

Some thanks to give out:
1: Tim Berners-Lee for inventing the internet.
2. @JT for organizing this challenge.
3. @JoshFossgreen for giving me the skills and confidence to go from no Bass to Bass cover in four months.
4. All you lovely people on the Bass Buzz forum. The internet can be a cesspool, but this is one of the nicest parts I’ve found yet.
Lastly I’d encourage everyone to give this a go. The end result doesn’t matter. Most will be better than me some may be a little rougher. But it’s ‘The doing of the thing’ that’s where the value lies.
Lastly I’m completely open to positive feedback from the more experienced players. It’s how we improve.
Cheers Amigos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkCzW-rEJLw

20 Likes

Really good job on this one Barney! I didn’t hear anything wrong at all. Also great message and attitude. Love the video editing too.

The only thing of note I can mention to look at is the tilt of your bass. It’s a laid back way to playing it and that’s perfectly fine (in my books anyway), but you might find that if you try to play standing up the tilt goes away, which can make it harder to go between sitting and standing. Just something to take a look at, but only if you want to. You might never have the intention of playing standing up or can easily adjust to any difference.

Well done in any case! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Nice job @Barney,
You look very comfortable playing along to the track, you are playing a different transcribed version than I played, but it still sounded really good, good tone and well mixed👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I’m here for the nitpicking and the critique. :slight_smile: Obviously I like receiving “great job” comments as well, but those don’t really help me improve my bass playing.

Good observation. I first learned this song half a year ago, and I too remembered those parts as being quarter notes. I was actually surprised to see eighth notes there when I was doing this recording. Maybe Josh has updated the tab recently? This is what I see in the first 50:

4 Likes

Great job @Barney! Really nice introductory comments before the video.
:+1:

4 Likes

I was wondering about that as well… Someone created a PDF of the score for this song, I think by combining screen shots taken in Noteflight, and in that one, these bars consist of four quarter notes.

5 Likes

Hey all, yes, the tab was recently updated in a couple minor spots. Some folks were asking about a discrepancy between this and another tab, so I checked it against the isolated bass track and tightened up some small things. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

@Barney. Terrific job! I also 100% agree that this forum community is special.

4 Likes