Well done! FANCY!

4 Likes

Nice job @MattHinchliffe,
Great production and nice tone from your bass,
Cheers Brian

1 Like

We have backing tracks on the Discord. :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve been hesitant to answer this because I don’t want to come off as nit-picking - the original comment was not a critique at all (I hope that’s clear) - it’s jut part of what led to me to ask about you using a different transcription… It was just 3 measures where you ended the measure with 2 eighths rather than the 1 quarter that the transcription I’m using shows. Measures 31, 32 and 42 (1:23, 1:25 and 1:53 in the video).

4 Likes

So rolling into my 5th month on Bass and it’s been a slice. My Strat is hanging on the wall unplayed and wondering what’s it’s done wrong.

Some thanks to give out:
1: Tim Berners-Lee for inventing the internet.
2. @JT for organizing this challenge.
3. @JoshFossgreen for giving me the skills and confidence to go from no Bass to Bass cover in four months.
4. All you lovely people on the Bass Buzz forum. The internet can be a cesspool, but this is one of the nicest parts I’ve found yet.
Lastly I’d encourage everyone to give this a go. The end result doesn’t matter. Most will be better than me some may be a little rougher. But it’s ‘The doing of the thing’ that’s where the value lies.
Lastly I’m completely open to positive feedback from the more experienced players. It’s how we improve.
Cheers Amigos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkCzW-rEJLw

20 Likes

Really good job on this one Barney! I didn’t hear anything wrong at all. Also great message and attitude. Love the video editing too.

The only thing of note I can mention to look at is the tilt of your bass. It’s a laid back way to playing it and that’s perfectly fine (in my books anyway), but you might find that if you try to play standing up the tilt goes away, which can make it harder to go between sitting and standing. Just something to take a look at, but only if you want to. You might never have the intention of playing standing up or can easily adjust to any difference.

Well done in any case! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Nice job @Barney,
You look very comfortable playing along to the track, you are playing a different transcribed version than I played, but it still sounded really good, good tone and well mixed👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I’m here for the nitpicking and the critique. :slight_smile: Obviously I like receiving “great job” comments as well, but those don’t really help me improve my bass playing.

Good observation. I first learned this song half a year ago, and I too remembered those parts as being quarter notes. I was actually surprised to see eighth notes there when I was doing this recording. Maybe Josh has updated the tab recently? This is what I see in the first 50:

4 Likes

Great job @Barney! Really nice introductory comments before the video.
:+1:

4 Likes

I was wondering about that as well… Someone created a PDF of the score for this song, I think by combining screen shots taken in Noteflight, and in that one, these bars consist of four quarter notes.

5 Likes

Hey all, yes, the tab was recently updated in a couple minor spots. Some folks were asking about a discrepancy between this and another tab, so I checked it against the isolated bass track and tightened up some small things. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

@Barney. Terrific job! I also 100% agree that this forum community is special.

4 Likes

100% with ya there. I’m looking to improve, so pointing out how I can do that is helpful…

And there we go - I was using an older version of the transcription. Noted (and modified my version).

5 Likes

@Barney Nice job!

4 Likes

still not sure if the delay is in my setup or in my brain…
Here we go:
https://youtu.be/tg1zQ3J5VQo

18 Likes

Hmmm. Are you using Bluetooth somewhere in your setup? BTW great playing otherwise!

3 Likes

Just did a perfect run through of bad moon rising… Im just goin to learn the songs maybe start recording at a later date so im sharing my success verbally of a good run through lol… So much more straight foward with b2b tab thanks for help @JT

6 Likes

Great job! Shame about the delay. What is your setup? To my ears, you are about 200ms behind the backing track, but I could definitely be off there!

4 Likes

Nah, cables all the way :frowning:

Bass into DAI into Windows, recording with OBS and ASIO Drivers, backing track playing in the background, Windows sound captures by OBS

3 Likes