Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Yeah, for sure. By the end of this we’ll all be bass masters AND movie making ones. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi there

I used a backing track that I paid for from Karaoke version (www.karaoke-version.co.uk) I use them for quite a few of my recordings, as I can take out individual tracks easily, so my brother and mate can add guitars and drums.

Thanks
Matthew

3 Likes

Tried it again as many recommended using a DAW, so for now without video. will figure this out as well!
https://soundcloud.com/user-741564424/enkhiel-bad-moon-rising/s-hxh8zKlbuRI

3 Likes

Something isn’t right:

2 Likes

yeah was removed due to copyright… :angry:

2 Likes

here we go. unlimited thanks to @JT again for the help <3

https://youtu.be/d6GPO2QNj6Q

12 Likes

Well done on the re-record. Definitely in-sync now, or at least very close. I know how many times you had to re-play this song to try to get this right (from a recording stand-point) so good effort there. Now you have a recording solution.

You hit all the right notes. Some had some buzz. Some were a little behind, but it was great overall. That mix gives you nothing to hide behind, which is great for these purposes. :slight_smile: Looking forward to the next one, which hopefully should give you a lot less trouble recording. You have the template now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did I miss your submission @JT? I scrolled through but didn’t see it. But I am on a phone so I probably skipped past it.

3 Likes

No, you haven’t missed it. :slight_smile:

I’m ready to do it, but I sold my last audio interface and my new audio interface doesn’t get delivered until Wednesday. So I’m just going to do it then instead of recording it on my phone audio.

And, my new bass comes on Tuesday. :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

7 Likes

Nice job!
I think I hear some timing issues, generally a bit behind the beat or inconsistent beats.

I have this issue too. I’ve been doing Josh’s exercise where the beat stops and comes back to try and hit timing. There are also drum beat apps and metronome apps that do this. I’ve been using TE Tuner app for years and it has a metronome function that you can drop a selected percentage of beats and randomize it. It helps but boy it’s hard to nail. A split second misspluck and bam.
I cringe when I playback my bass part alone at times.

Keep up the great work, we will all get there together!!

3 Likes

Alright, so I played this song as well as my bass journey would allow me to, so satisfying, until I realized that I never pressed record :confounded:
So here’s an attempt at it, again recorded just with the phone camera and uploaded as is (maybe in a couple of months I’ll put some time in learning DAW, DAI and all those things)
Question about something that bothers me, as you can tell my strings make a clanking sound at times, it does not come thru the amp, is that an issue with my technique? Or is it setup? Or normal?
Also, I feel that the pitch goes really high when I played the D string notes, I checked and the bass is tuned properly, I don’t recall noticing that on your videos
Advice, critiques are welcomed
Thanks

13 Likes

Hey Reo. Great playing. You did really well!

One thing I’d say is to try and keep the fingers you aren’t using closer to the fretboard. At 1:30 for example, you’re pointer finger is vertical. We all have flying fingers to some degree, so just something to look out for. This means they have to travel less when they are used, which saves energy and makes you react quicker (will be needed in faster songs).

The only “strings make a clanking” that I heard was around 2:09 when you played 5th fret on the D string, something didn’t sound right for sure. Heard it around 1:27 too, again on the D string. It’s possible your D-string intonation is a bit off or there is a fret issue (unlikely on a newer non-cheap bass). Or it could be a finger pressure thing, but I doubt you are playing that much different on the A and D strings. So, first thing I’d check is the intonation. Get the open D in tune then fret the D on the 12th string and see if that is in tune to D as well.

4 Likes

@Reo nicely done! You’ve got very good time. Solid.

5 Likes

Hi @Reo,
I think you did a really good job considering this is your first cover.
The tone on your bass sounded ok, even on the D string, you got a little rushed on the last drop down to the D string.
You have smooth technique with your alternating fingers, the only thing I would be trying to do is to get 1 finger per fret on your left hand, again if you work on this over time you will see big improvements.
You should use the spider technique to develop this skill.
All in all you looked relaxed, well done,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Very nicely done @Reo! I agree with the previous commenters. Try to keep your fingers closer to the fret board!
:+1:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I’ll start doing finger exercises routinely to keep those fingers down.
@JT I certainly have a tendency to squeeze the strings, that could be it, specifically if my fingers are just jumping away!
I checked the D string as you suggested, it’s a bit sharp on the 12th fret (pictures below) the A is also sharp (but less, both green and red are slightly lit) the G is very sharp (3 circles over) and the E is actually slightly flat (both green and red circle dimly lit) :man_shrugging:t4: So, intonation problem?

4 Likes

Yes, easy to adjust, lots of us do it ourselves.
May videos on the topic.
All you need is usually is a screwdriver and a tuner.

3 Likes

Yeah, your intonation needs some slight adjustments. Pickup heights could also be an issue. Could even be a dodgy string. These things all happen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My stab at this is attached. I think I did alright. Sometimes didn’t get close enough to the fret and a few notes slightly ahead or behind the beat, but this was because I had to look at the tab for most of the song. Didn’t plan on memorizing this one though.

https://youtu.be/z781cnU4SIo

17 Likes

Nice work @JT.

I had to start tapping my other foot/leg so my bass wasn’t dancing, maybe try that?
So hard not to bounce during playing.

Like the tone.
Couple minor, minor bits but nothing to really worry on.
I felt some ahead of the beat, that will dial in over time.

Nice slide at then end, love it!
I think we should all start adding a little of our personality to these songs vs. trying to do them so close to original (its not classical music after all).

4 Likes