Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Nice work @JT.

I had to start tapping my other foot/leg so my bass wasn’t dancing, maybe try that?
So hard not to bounce during playing.

Like the tone.
Couple minor, minor bits but nothing to really worry on.
I felt some ahead of the beat, that will dial in over time.

Nice slide at then end, love it!
I think we should all start adding a little of our personality to these songs vs. trying to do them so close to original (its not classical music after all).

4 Likes

Yeah, I know my bass is dancing, but I don’t really mind that. I guess it could be a pain if you are trying to watch what I’m doing though. :slight_smile:

I do tend to want to end songs on an octave slide. Just sounds right to me. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Nice job! And hell yeah to ending on octave slides :sunglasses: Though there’s the risk of sliding 1 fret too far and then that just ruins everything.

4 Likes

Hey @JT,
Good job, couple minor things that you already know of.
The only real minor thing i picked up was i can hear your fingers sliding along the strings from one note to the next, maybe try lifting them of the string when changing notes.
The tone on your bass was really bright, sounds like round wounds, they can cause this and amplify that finger sliding noise between notes.
I suppose that’s why i like flats, they tend to be not as bright.
And as @John_E said, try and keep time with your other leg, not that it had an impact or you could try doing your covers standing and tapping your foot,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

The strings on it are about 2 year old roundwounds. I should really do something about those…

My future covers will be done on my new bass, but that needs some new strings too.

Good catch on not lifting my fingers up. I do tend to slide them around.

And I will try to use my other leg, but it doesn’t feel as natural to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey All, Here is my quick n dirty cover for BMR.
https://youtu.be/VIlAnkPEKBc

15 Likes

Excellent job! Made it look effortless. I didn’t detect any mistakes. Not sure what CCR would have thought of that bass, but I love it. I think they’d like you playing barefoot though. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

awesome work, nice filter and I think @bofhgirl would definitely approve the cable :smiley:
heard one hickup at 1:18 and maybe try resting your hand somewhere, else longer songs might be hefty to play holding the arm up all the time.
oh, and even though the angle is really awesome, it makes it hard to judge your fingerwork if you’re interested in those.

Besides that, I really really enjoyed it!

Team Barefoot!

5 Likes

I can see my reputation for obnoxious pink things is already off to a good start :smiley:

6 Likes

Good job @JT!
:+1:

4 Likes

Great job @Vegaswizzle!
:+1:

4 Likes

Well done @Vegaswizzle all around.

5 Likes

Very nice @JT and @Vegaswizzle. Both sound great.

The only thing I would say @JT is separate those fretting fingers a little. - they look glued together :slight_smile: Watching you play this, you’re micro-shifting even to switch from 5th fret to 3rd fret. Just may become a speed issue eventually. But sounded great!

5 Likes

@JT who doesn’t love an octave slide? Answer - No one
@Vegaswizzle that’s a sweet bass. The EHB 1000S is on my very short list. I just wish I could get my hands on the neck before I buy. Nice work.

5 Likes

Yeah, I need to work on that. @enkhiel brought this up to me on Discord, but I didn’t appreciate just how much I was doing it in the song until I re-watched it now. I think it’s because I keep gravitating to using my pointer finger to fret notes. Something for me to watch for on future songs for sure.

5 Likes

Alright, here’s my rough contribution. Lost track of timing after the 8th notes for a sec, but I feel it’s as good as I can deliver at this time. Also tried playing standing up vs sitting.

https://youtu.be/owp9yKGDqZE

17 Likes

Nice @Anderson
You already know the timing bits, try on the next one practicing timing changes alone with a about a bar ahead and after over and over, then work them into the song. If your fingers are like mine, they are want to keep one beat, not differnent ones, I find this trick works well. Oh, and do it slowly and ramp it up once your fingers feel the note lenght changes.

5 Likes

Nice job @Anderson. A few timing issues, like you mentioned, but nothing that a few more play-throughs wouldn’t help. Out of curiosity, did you start/complete B2B? And getting used to playing standing is a positive. Good work - look forward to the next one.

5 Likes

Here’s my version…
https://youtu.be/D8K7v8-eSSU

A few flubs here and there - the most obvious being that at the very end after the ascending eighths where there’s a measure of G’s, I started to alternate between G and D like the song does the first time you do that ascending bit. D’oh. But, I don’t have the energy to re-record right now. I like this song, but I’m done with it for now. :slight_smile:

Ibby SR400 with flats - intended to be run through Wine Cellar pre, but I forgot to click it on. D’oh again. :slight_smile: I intentionally played up near the fingerboard based on the videos in this thread about “how to sound like an upright” - I didn’t notice much difference, but I gave it a shot.

As always, thanks for the PDF score and backing track, as well as all the info and tips along the way.

I’m interested in tips and critique, so fire away. One thing I noticed upon watching it back is that my fretting hand is too “curled” and close to the bottom of the neck. I’ll try to work on that.

On to Crazy!

14 Likes

Good job. It was all going quite well until that 8th note section threw you off. I was doing the same thing when I started playing it. So, I just printed out the tabs and worked on the 8th note sections until I had them down, then went back to the full song. As I’m doing more covers, I’m finding that a lot of them have these tricky transitions, but the core of the song is pretty simple and repetitive. Maybe the Chorus on some songs gets a bit weird too.

You played with a lot of staccato (abrupt notes), which gave it a nice upright feel. I think I’d have made the notes ring a tad longer, but that’s just my personal taste. It was a cool style element, as was your video filter. :slight_smile:

It was good to see you standing too. I should try that. I always feel like I’m a bit worse standing, which probably means I should practice it more often. I feel like it’s harder for me to see the fretboard when I’m standing, which I know means I don’t have the right position sitting.

Looking forward to your next one.

4 Likes