Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

@JT who doesn’t love an octave slide? Answer - No one
@Vegaswizzle that’s a sweet bass. The EHB 1000S is on my very short list. I just wish I could get my hands on the neck before I buy. Nice work.

5 Likes

Yeah, I need to work on that. @enkhiel brought this up to me on Discord, but I didn’t appreciate just how much I was doing it in the song until I re-watched it now. I think it’s because I keep gravitating to using my pointer finger to fret notes. Something for me to watch for on future songs for sure.

5 Likes

Alright, here’s my rough contribution. Lost track of timing after the 8th notes for a sec, but I feel it’s as good as I can deliver at this time. Also tried playing standing up vs sitting.

https://youtu.be/owp9yKGDqZE

17 Likes

Nice @Anderson
You already know the timing bits, try on the next one practicing timing changes alone with a about a bar ahead and after over and over, then work them into the song. If your fingers are like mine, they are want to keep one beat, not differnent ones, I find this trick works well. Oh, and do it slowly and ramp it up once your fingers feel the note lenght changes.

5 Likes

Nice job @Anderson. A few timing issues, like you mentioned, but nothing that a few more play-throughs wouldn’t help. Out of curiosity, did you start/complete B2B? And getting used to playing standing is a positive. Good work - look forward to the next one.

5 Likes

Here’s my version…
https://youtu.be/D8K7v8-eSSU

A few flubs here and there - the most obvious being that at the very end after the ascending eighths where there’s a measure of G’s, I started to alternate between G and D like the song does the first time you do that ascending bit. D’oh. But, I don’t have the energy to re-record right now. I like this song, but I’m done with it for now. :slight_smile:

Ibby SR400 with flats - intended to be run through Wine Cellar pre, but I forgot to click it on. D’oh again. :slight_smile: I intentionally played up near the fingerboard based on the videos in this thread about “how to sound like an upright” - I didn’t notice much difference, but I gave it a shot.

As always, thanks for the PDF score and backing track, as well as all the info and tips along the way.

I’m interested in tips and critique, so fire away. One thing I noticed upon watching it back is that my fretting hand is too “curled” and close to the bottom of the neck. I’ll try to work on that.

On to Crazy!

14 Likes

Good job. It was all going quite well until that 8th note section threw you off. I was doing the same thing when I started playing it. So, I just printed out the tabs and worked on the 8th note sections until I had them down, then went back to the full song. As I’m doing more covers, I’m finding that a lot of them have these tricky transitions, but the core of the song is pretty simple and repetitive. Maybe the Chorus on some songs gets a bit weird too.

You played with a lot of staccato (abrupt notes), which gave it a nice upright feel. I think I’d have made the notes ring a tad longer, but that’s just my personal taste. It was a cool style element, as was your video filter. :slight_smile:

It was good to see you standing too. I should try that. I always feel like I’m a bit worse standing, which probably means I should practice it more often. I feel like it’s harder for me to see the fretboard when I’m standing, which I know means I don’t have the right position sitting.

Looking forward to your next one.

4 Likes

Great job! I think it was better than you give yourself credit for. I’d say you hit 95% of the song and the tone was great. I’m a bit like you on songs I’m not ecstatic about in that if I get around that 95% mark I just roll with it. Otherwise it might be 20 more takes to nail it.

I noticed you are anchoring on the fretboard. I was curious about this (I’ve never actually tried doing that), so went back and watched the Week 1 video and you are anchoring on the neck pickup like most of us do. Are you doing the fretboard on this one for the upright sound (which is a known thing to do) or is it how you normally play this bass? Regardless of main anchor point, ideally your thumb would come down onto the low string when you aren’t using it for muting purposes. Your thumb was locked onto that fretboard the whole song, but I’m not sure if that’s necessarily bad, just something that stood out to me. However, with flats, like you used on this, its less of an issue for muting (and there weren’t any open Es, which ring the most). This isn’t a critique btw, just something that sparked my curiosity. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice job @Vegaswizzle,
You looked relaxed,just picked a couple tiny little things timing wise, could be the mix.:thinking:
Nice tone from that awesome coloured bass.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Good effort @Anderson,
Few issues with timing etc, great that you put it out there for everyone to offer areas for improvements, this is the only way to be a badass :+1:
You look comfortable playing and I think it’s important to stand and play cuz when you get with a group of guitarists , drums etc you will be right at home,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Very good @Anderson!
:+1:

3 Likes

Hey @skydvr,
I liked your cover, a couple little things you already know, besides those the tone and mix were good,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks. Started B2B. On module 8 now.

4 Likes

Appreciate it. There’s definitely a sense of accomplishment in putting the video out there, mistakes and all. A month ago I had said there’s no way I’m at a level to do and post these covers, but I decided to push myself and see my progress.

Hopefully it will make others realize there’s no minimum skill level required to participate and join the fun.

10 Likes

Same here. I think we will all be surprised and happy about how much progress this cycle will bring us. Video-ing yourself Ana watching back and learning from it is the most painful yet rewarding way to improve.

5 Likes

Super job and tone. @skydvr
Keep pushing on. We are supposed to make mistakes and learn. That said you didn’t make a lot and you know about them. Well done.

5 Likes

Okay, so some obvious places of improvement - I had some problems recording this song, which tested my patience, so this will do. I had problems keeping a steady tempo playing the song, and I missed a note during the solo part. The simpler the song, the easier it is to hear the little mistakes.

Anyway, I thought this was fun to play overall, and though this is not my favorite CCR song, grew more fond of it while practising. Good exercise for fretting hand pinky and muting.

And good job on the covers, those who have already posted their take :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Well done. Few stumbles, but we’re all learning, so don’t stress about that. Was a great job overall. On “Another Brick in the Wall” I was stressed about recording issues too (about 5 hours of pain) and it hurt my playing. I think after a few more songs we’ll all have the hang of recording.

Did you have this song memorized? Or were the tabs just past your fretting hand? I didn’t see you looking anywhere else so wasn’t sure. If you memorized it, that’s awesome. I like the song too, but it’s not one of my favorites. Still enjoyed playing it.

Overall, great job and look forward to your next song.

4 Likes

Yeah, I memorized it (same with ABitW). Initially I thought I couldn’t bother memorizing the solo part, but ultimately found it easier than looking at the tab while playing, and it was pretty straight forward to learn.

5 Likes

Nice job @kowry.
As you already noted, I sensed some rushing of the beat at times, others you settled into the groove great.
Songs like this are deceptively harder due being simple looking but as you said, makes for needing to be tighter.
All good.

When we hit the 50th song, would be interesting to go back and do a couple of the intial ones to see how much we have improved.

7 Likes