Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Just the way you have your thumb over the top and curl your fingers around the bottom of the neck. Not a critique - just not what I’m used to “seeing”.

4 Likes

I agree it’s not “the norm”, but it’s more common than you probably think. Some play this way and actually play notes on the E string with their thumb. I think people with larger hands are more prone to doing this.

3 Likes

@skydvr, @JT,
I have very large hands and I use my thumb strictly to mute the E string. It is what I am used to doing at this point, but I was curious that you spotted that. No one else ever mentioned that before.
:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@akos - just realized I had missed yours because I was still working on ABitW when you posted it. Very nice job - like the tone and you nailed the timing.

Are you not using the transcriptions from “50 first songs”? I saw elsewhere you mentioned that the tab is mostly 8th notes followed by 8th note rests, and the tab I’m using is mostly quarter notes. Plus it sounded like you had a couple little extra flourishes in there that isn’t in the transcription I’m using… Just curious…

@TNKA36 - I think the re-record sounds great. Another nice job - great mixing in that one.

5 Likes

Very valid question. I asked the same thing half a year ago when I first learned this song, see my question and Gio’s reply in this thread.

In short: the tab is showing quarter notes, but if you listen to the song, you’ll hear that the guy is playing 8th notes. Gio’s explanation was that the note durations are usually not exact in modern music transcriptions. You are expected to listen to the song and figure out how long each note should be played.

By the way this is the case with ABITW as well. Take a look at the first bar of the repeating pattern for example (with the dotted quarter note), and listen to the song. That’s a quarter note and an eighth note rest in the song, not a dotted quarter note. And beat 3 is not a quarter note either, it’s an eighth note.

Those might have been mistakes then, because other than the above, I thought I was following the transcription. :slight_smile: Which parts(s) are you referring to?

6 Likes

From another thread:

@locket - I just started learning this song today. The trick to this song is clearly in the 1/8th note sections. The rest is just strumming quarter notes, which is pretty straight-forward I think. I also think the 1/8th note sections feel a bit harder, because we get stuck in that quarter note groove and the sometimes require string crossing. I personally am going to just take those 1/8th note sections on their own and practice them until I have them in a good place, then go back to the full song. I think that will do the trick for me personally.

5 Likes

@JT its a bit different on the ultimate tab its a bit of a pinky workout between the 5th on a string and e but im not bad with that its the fills that throw me and they change also on my tab…It was the way I was approaching it as well was all wrong not doing it in sections etc because id got the main riff down was trying to do full song and learn riffs that way it was wearing me out and I was getting tired and frustrated lol silly really. Also not to go on but the ultimate tab is on phone and I couldnt see which fill was coming and I was getting it wrong so i needed to print it out just a lot of little things… Thankyou for your help and encouragement though.

4 Likes

Do you not want to use Josh’s version?

3 Likes

Well I thought this would work out easier as it plays the music and goes through tab but I dont think it is working out easier.

3 Likes

Have you purchased the B2B course? If so, you can have that functionality on this site as well.

3 Likes

Yes I need to try it out and be on same page as everyone else I think.

3 Likes

If you have the course, go here and there is a play along to all the first 50 songs.

4 Likes

Also, if you hop on Discord, we have backing tracks and other things to help out.

We have a channel on that just for this challenge.

4 Likes

Righty oh thanks @JT

4 Likes

If you are struggling with it let me know, but it isn’t bad. You can adjust the speed in playback there and there are different views as well.

There are two things I wish it had. One, play-along to the actual track instead of synths and two, an option to repeat a section over and over.

3 Likes

You print out the tab dont you I think I remember you saying

3 Likes

I do a mix of things. I usually do something like this:

1. I use the playback on this site until I have a pretty decent understanding of the song and how it flows. Starting on a slower speed and working my way up to normal tempo.

2. Then, I print out the tabs and play along to them while listening to the actual song. Probably move to this stage when I have the song about 80% fine playing through on the site play-along.

3. I try to look at the tabs less and less and focus on other aspects of my playing, while still playing along to the actual song

4. I record the song with a backing track with the bass removed

And of course, I also listen to the actual track without playing when I can so it sinks into my head more. The more familiar you are with the song, the easier it is to learn the song.

Note: Different things work better for different people. This is just my method.

4 Likes

Man the tab is so much easier on the b2b site…

3 Likes

I think that’s because Josh and Gio put it together for us learners. They also rated the difficulty and that’s what helped with the order of the challenge.

3 Likes

Taking a break from practicing… Anybody know where the bathroom is? :rofl:

4 Likes