Song 3 - “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley

@Brendan it’s an Ibanez Talman TMB30 short scale.
I was learning guitar for a few years and wanted to give Bass a try. My left hand has been broken multiple times from sporting accidents and I was struggling with the one finger per fret thing on a regular scale bass. I tried a short scale and it just made sense. So I bought one for $170US brand new and am really happy with it. Made in Indonesia, satin finish on the neck, no fret sprout. All good. I don’t like the colour, so at some point I’ll strip and refinish it.
My next bass with probably be the Sterling Music Man Short Scale. At present I see no reason to change to a regular scale bass. I mean some musicians have played one their entire careers!
Here’s a demo (It’s in Italian but the bass isn’t :slight_smile: ) that shows off the range of tones from the PJ pickups.

5 Likes

Thanks @JT for leading the charge on this challenge and thanks to @gcancella for making it so accessible providing the score and bass-removed mp3s.

Just played and recorded by first full song. I’ll upload a more practiced version before we move on to the next song. I’ll go back to the first to two at some point too now that I see how easy you’ve made it …until we get to the harder songs anyway…

6 Likes

Thanks. Glad to have you on board.

2 Likes

Cheers, I had not seen one of those before, the tone and colour (I quite like it) is what drew me to it. Sounds really good in the demo too, old mate struggles to crack a smile though :upside_down_face:

Cheers Brendan

3 Likes

I think it’s actually the fourth beat in some of the bars that’s played as two eighth notes instead of one quarter note… You can also hear it in the higher pitched “echo” of the bass line (not sure what instrument that is; probably just the original guitar line as lifted from the movie soundtrack). Will need to listen to it some more and make notes. But yeah, I definitely think it’s simplified.

Edit: I just noticed these variations are in the tab/score as well… Don’t know why I never noticed this before :thinking: Maybe I’m crazy… possibly… probably? Anyway, disregard all of this.

I think @BigAl did play a quick “double note” on the first beat in some bars… Probably even a bit quicker than two eighth notes? I don’t really hear that in the original recording though.

@Barney thanks for including that little sample of the original soundtrack this is based on! I love that kind of trivia :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

OK, here is my contribution. I had never heard this song before the challenge, but it does grow on you.

18 Likes

Nailed it as far as I could tell. It is a great song. Surprised you weren’t familiar with it as it was everywhere when it came out. That being said, I’m sure there are plenty of newish songs I’m not familiar with. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @JT!

3 Likes

Great job @JerryP!
Nailed it for sure.

Now you will hear it in your head for ever…

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E!

2 Likes

Great job! I like how forward your bass is in the mix!

4 Likes

Nice job @akos,
solid work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Solid as always @JerryP… Nicely done.

3 Likes

Nice work @JerryP , I think that little Hofner will get a turn during this challenge :sunglasses:

Cheers Brendan

3 Likes

Well, here it is. The recording setup can best be described as “improvised” and the audio and video aren’t totally in sync - but I didn’t want to let that get in the way of getting started.

This is my first cover so let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/oPAaK8TRHyY

12 Likes

Nice job @GanglyCloth!

1 Like

Great job! You seem to have excellent pinky control. Still domesticating mine. :slight_smile:

I thought the audio and video were in sync. At least good enough for this purpose.

Love the bass color and tone you are putting out.

For your first cover, you did amazing!

3 Likes

Great job @GanglyCloth! I didn’t see any sync issues. Good mix as well.
:+1:

1 Like

The Hofner is getting a workout during practice sessions. It will be showcased soon, maybe not on 50S 100W challenge, but on the Post Your Covers thread.

2 Likes

Sounding great @GanglyCloth!
Yes, I am very jealous of your pinky and its ability to reach things it wants!

4 Likes