Song 3 - “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley

Very nice @Mike_NL. I don’t notice the volume differences that you mention. And I hope one day my fretting hand is as relaxed as yours. :slight_smile: Solid job.

3 Likes

Sounds nice, consistent, on time.

3 Likes

Wow!
Great sound, interesting research into the song, fantastic video editing.
Love it!

3 Likes

I can’t believe how good the U-bass sounds!
It looks like a toy, sounds like a pro.

3 Likes

Sounds good, other than the volume difference.
Maybe it’s time for a set up. you shouldn’t need a compressor for that.
If you like to fiddle try to adjust your pickup height, but if you’re not into those things just get it to your local store, should be an easy enough fix.

3 Likes

Here is my recording. Still audio only, hoping to get the video on for ACDC on week 5.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p516tsY8zyXy5AlDZ1hdzCY3WmzyavN-/view?usp=sharing

I really don’t like this song that much. However, I intent on trying every song as there is always something to take home. This one was good for staying on time, as the consistency and repetitiveness is a big part of the feel of the song.

7 Likes

I get “Does not exist”

1 Like

I think I fixed it.
I don’t know why it happens. It was the same last time, and I just re-copied the same link and it worked…

2 Likes

yep, that worked. Sounds good! Good mix and tone…

3 Likes

I already lowered the pickup on the E string side and raised it slightly on the A string side. As far as I can tell, the distance to both strings is identical now. It did help a little, but obviously not enough. No idea what else I can do about it…

2 Likes

You actually don’t want the distance to both strings to be identical in relation to the fretboard or the pickups. But we are talking fractions of an inch here.

For the string height, what you generally want to do in an ideal world is set the E string at a certain height (6/64" (2.4 mm) is the default) then your G string (5/64" (2 mm) is the default) and then for the middle two strings you want to follow the arch of your fretboard. Keep in mind, all measurements are from the fretboard (around the 17th fret) to the BOTTOM of the strings. The actual heights are a personal taste.

For the pickup height, you want to do a similar thing. Depress the string at the last fret and measure the distances from the top of the pole in the pickup to the bottom of the string. The default is 7/64" (2.8 mm) for the bass side and 5/64" (2 mm) for the treble side. You’ll notice the gap is wider here between the bass and treble side. This is because the thicker strings ring out louder, so need to be a bit further away.

This info is plucked from this article, which did help me when I was setting up my bass. I’m no expert though.

You’ll want a ruler with 1/32s and 1/64s or similar metric granularity. I got this one and like it, but anything similar will do as long as it is precise.

4 Likes

You did really well on this. Sounded like the real deal to me. Great job on the playing and getting the mix right. Audio is great (definitely keep doing it), but obviously if you have any bad habits that don’t impact the audio, we can’t help you with those without seeing you (even if it is headless). Looking forward to the video on Song 5. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nailed it @y.farkash! Sounded very professional.
:+1: :hammer:

2 Likes

Most excellent @y.farkash
!

3 Likes

Nice job on this song @y.farkash ,
good tone, couldn’t pick up anything wrong,
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Nice work @y.farkash. One thing I’m hearing there is it sounds like you’re muting each note rather than letting it ring into the next note - almost like an eighth note and eighth rest. I’m not sure if this is intentional or not but it still sounds good :+1:. I’ve found myself doing the exact same thing on Bad Moon Rising and I think I prefer it that way so it’s what I’m going to stick with. Just thought I’d mention it in case it was unintentional.

2 Likes

Thanks.
It was intentional. I found that this little stacato feeling was matching the feeling of the song in general.

The song has a ‘thumpy’ feeling supported by the bass drum, whatever the sound is on the up-beat once every few measures, and the short and precise hi-hats. There is lots of air and space for the singer. When I let the notes ring through it felt like I was “stealing” all this air that was there for the singer. It felt the same playing it with the notes ringing through, but listening back to the recording it was too busy.

It’s kind of weird, I never liked listening to this song when it came out, I still don’t, but it takes a new feeling when you try to play it.

6 Likes

Sounds very good, @y.farkash . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Hello, I did this cover with a pick also which was my challenge because I never use picks. Overall it was a pretty straight forward one, I had to modify my tone to fit the pop music genre. I adjusted the camera angle to make it easier to see from my last vid. I also always play standing up which when I recorded previously I sat down and had a floating right arm. Thanks for the tips y’all keep them coming.

https://youtu.be/SI7qGEUYRrk

16 Likes

Nice job! Sounded great. Impressive wingspan on your fretting hand :slight_smile:

5 Likes