Most excellent @y.farkash
!

3 Likes

Nice job on this song @y.farkash ,
good tone, couldn’t pick up anything wrong,
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Nice work @y.farkash. One thing I’m hearing there is it sounds like you’re muting each note rather than letting it ring into the next note - almost like an eighth note and eighth rest. I’m not sure if this is intentional or not but it still sounds good :+1:. I’ve found myself doing the exact same thing on Bad Moon Rising and I think I prefer it that way so it’s what I’m going to stick with. Just thought I’d mention it in case it was unintentional.

2 Likes

Thanks.
It was intentional. I found that this little stacato feeling was matching the feeling of the song in general.

The song has a ‘thumpy’ feeling supported by the bass drum, whatever the sound is on the up-beat once every few measures, and the short and precise hi-hats. There is lots of air and space for the singer. When I let the notes ring through it felt like I was “stealing” all this air that was there for the singer. It felt the same playing it with the notes ringing through, but listening back to the recording it was too busy.

It’s kind of weird, I never liked listening to this song when it came out, I still don’t, but it takes a new feeling when you try to play it.

6 Likes

Sounds very good, @y.farkash . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Hello, I did this cover with a pick also which was my challenge because I never use picks. Overall it was a pretty straight forward one, I had to modify my tone to fit the pop music genre. I adjusted the camera angle to make it easier to see from my last vid. I also always play standing up which when I recorded previously I sat down and had a floating right arm. Thanks for the tips y’all keep them coming.

https://youtu.be/SI7qGEUYRrk

16 Likes

Nice job! Sounded great. Impressive wingspan on your fretting hand :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Perfect @Vegaswizzle. Nailed the tone too!

4 Likes

That was great!
The tone works so good for this song.

You changed your plucking (picking?!?) pattern half way through the song.

Those are some well behaved pinky and ring fingers!
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Okay, here is my cover of Crazy, I found parts of covering this difficult, little nuances in the song I could not quite match, keeping an even tone and making clean note changes. I also had trouble getting a tone that I liked :crazy_face:. I know this song quite well, and I think I just ended up with a bit of fatigue after listening, learning, and playing it so much, so I just bit the bullet and recorded the cover. I think it came out okay :man_shrugging: Time to move onto the next one, I will revisit this at some point though.

https://youtu.be/6DD_-9FTuwQ

Set up the same as always:
Yamaha TRBX174EW
UMC22 DAI
GarageBand
Recorded on phone
Synced in imovie

I envy everybody else adding their own flavour to the songs, I don’t think I am creative enough for that just yet, soon hopefully. For now i will stick to trying to imitate the original.

Cheers Brendan

18 Likes

That was a pretty epic cover! Sorry, can’t give you any tips as it looked and sounded perfect to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You say you struggled a bit and it was just “okay”. That’s not what I’m seeing or hearing. I think you totally nailed it! I thought the tone was a perfect match too. I know when we are playing songs we love, we want them to be as good as possible. I think you really did this song justice and should be proud of this cover. We all have to find the right balance between doing the best we can and not having fun anymore. Personally though, I didn’t detect anything wrong in your cover at all.

Don’t worry about adding bling to your videos either with playing or editing. If you get inspired to do something different, that’s cool. If you don’t, that’s cool too. I suspect as the songs get harder, we’ll see less playing flare added in by people.

Its also cool that people do that and it’s good video editing practice, but that’s not what we’re here for. If someone wants to record their bass unplugged on a tape player and submit it I’d still be happy. It’s just about taking part in playing the bass on entire songs and collectively improving. That being said, it’s cool to see the video editing and stuff, so people should keep that coming. :slight_smile:

And I totally don’t buy that you aren’t creative. I think it’s more what you are eluding too. To add layers of creativity on top of something, you usually need a solid foundation first. It’s perfectly fine to focus on getting that foundation as solid as possible for the time being. That’s certainly where I am.

5 Likes

Great job @Vegaswizzle! Nice sound! I wish I could stretch my fingers like that.
:+1:

3 Likes

Good job @Brendan! The performance was excellent.
:+1:

4 Likes

This was Great @Brendan.
We are own worst critics, so let that go for a moment and enjoy how good this was!

This was solid all around. Good form, great timing. Nice groove

4 Likes

Oh crap, I just re-read my post and realised that it probably comes across as a bit negative :man_facepalming: sorry that was not the intention.

I was just trying to be honest about what I had trouble with, but in doing so I have realised I did not point out the things that I was happy with.

I think @John_E said it well,

We are own worst critics

I can get a bit OCD and am probably a bit hard on myself.

@JT Thanks for the detailed response, yeah it is ‘okay’ not perfect (in my mind anyway) but pretty good, I AM happy with it, it came out really well, there are still a couple of bits I would like to improve on, and some of them might just be ‘more time playing bass’ hence the revisit sometime. Thats the beauty of this whole process, a cache of covers we can all use for learning purposes, re-cover at a later date to compare and look back on and see how far we’ve come.

I did have trouble getting a tone I liked, I spent a bit of time trying different things out, but in the end I came up with a tone that worked great for my ears, yours to obviously, but tone can be pretty subjective, might not suit everyone and thats fine too.

And I totally don’t buy that you aren’t creative. I think it’s more what you are eluding too. To add layers of creativity on top of something, you usually need a solid foundation first.

You are totally right here, this is what I was getting at, at the moment I need to concentrate on just playing well, flair and extra creativity will come with time. I do enjoy seeing others add their mark though.

So to sum up, I think I did a pretty good job! I appreciate all the lovely comments, thanks.

Cheers Brendan

7 Likes

Thanks for the link and the explanation. I setup both my basses “by feel”, meaning I didn’t really measure anything. It’s probably time to take this a bit more seriously, so I ordered a guitar/bass ruler:

Ordered a capo as well, so I can keep my strings depressed without needing three hands, plus three replacement knobs with dots on them, so I can see what my tone and volume pots are set to.

2 Likes

Yeah, I bought a capo solely for doing setups. It does come in handy. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Mike_NL

These things are so cheap and useful all Bassists and guitarists should have one.

The capo is another cheap item everyone should have although I do not recall ever seeing a Bassist use one while performing. I have used one a few times on six strings though.

Neck radius gauges and feeler gauges are something else I thought I needed but rarely use them now. You can get neck radius gauges online, there was no internet when I bought mine, that you can cut out and use and a credit card works just fine as a feeler gauge to set initial neck relief and then just adjust from there.

2 Likes

Great cover @Vegaswizzle,
Nice to see you stretching out over the 4 frets, I play the same way, makes it easier when you get to quicker songs down the track.
Standing is also important for down the track, you looked relaxed,right on point and had a good mix and production,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes