Song 3 - “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley

BTW, what happened to the shark that bit you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Surely that’s the story to tell people right? Or maybe that’s what actually did happen!

5 Likes

OK, here are mine… I tried it two ways just for fun…
Funny thing is the copyright police only picked up the J Bass version as ‘partially blocked’ like @akos’ version, U bass made it through just fine.

https://youtu.be/g_gf58IE_LM
Squire 70’s J Bass
Neck pickup 100%
Bridge pickup ~30%
Tone rolled up ~30%
Fender Bassman Clean amp sim from the Studio 40
Focusrite Scarlett into Abelton Live

and for fun…

https://youtu.be/CIQNOnttBv0
Kayla U-Bass Exotic Mahogany
Trebble - 0%
Mid - 50%
Bass - ~70%
Focusrite Scarlett into Abelton Live

20 Likes

Liked the song so much, you did it twice. :slight_smile:

Or maybe you are just Crazy… :upside_down_face:

Both renditions were excellent John. You were definitely in the groove on both. Can hear it and see it!

5 Likes

Hi Guys

Had a go at this one today, not my normal kind of music, but enjoyed it. I think the copyright ninjas have got hold of it but hopefully you guys can see it.

This challenge is great for trying stuff I wouldn’t do normally.

Any feedback would be welcome, good or bad :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/HtdqfTWLrGs

14 Likes

Nice work @MattHinchliffe!

Some misses on transitions back to the beginning C of the choruses but otherwise solid!
Those were tricky and had to work on them to flow smoothly, I always end up rushing quicker notes.

5 Likes

Thanks @John_E. I’ll have another play through to nail it.

3 Likes

Sounding good. I get so jealous of you all that can have such nice left hand finger alignment!

Tone was good. Few blips, but nothing major.

And I can tell you have good rhythm from that knee bounce. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nicely played :slight_smile:

Just one thing I thought I’d mention: I too used to play with the bass resting on my leg, but it had two major drawbacks: 1) it made playing higher (12+) frets almost impossible because they were so far over to the right, and 2) my bass was in a completely different position when I stood up, and felt like a different instrument. I’ve recently switched to a shorter strap so that the bass never touches my leg even when sitting, and that solved both problems. So if you too have experienced similar problems, then you might want to consider a shorter strap. (If not, then disregard.)

4 Likes

Very nice performances everyone! @akos, @BigAl, @Barney, @John_E @MattHinchliffe.
I listened to each one after the other. I will be hearing “Crazy” in my sleep tonight.

7 Likes

Photo references:

1. Rorschach test
  2. Gnarls Barkley album “St Elsewhere” cover
  3. ?
  4. Crazy from the Muppets (demolition expert)
    5 Patsy Cline/ Willie Nelson - Patsy sang “Crazy”
  5. Crazy Eddie - electronics store chain
  6. Movie “Stir Crazy”
  7. ? Neil Patrick Harris
  8. Charles Barkley
3 Likes

I miss Crazy Eddie!

His prices were…INSANE!!

4 Likes

Wow you guys are fast, all great covers as usual, well done.

@Barney I had a fleeting moment where I thought playing with a pick was a good idea, till I found one and had a try… Ummm maybe not quite ready to try a new technique just yet :laughing: I love the tone you got though, and can I ask what bass is that you are playing?

Cheers Brendan

4 Likes

Excellent job all @akos @BigAl @Barney @John_E @MattHinchliffe… I have no critiques. Solid job by all. What bass is that @BigAl? And is that a music man behind you?

I do have one question though for @JoshFossgreen - is the transcription in 50 first songs a simplified one? Because in the song, in a bunch of the measures, I hear a “double first note” (almost like a grace note, or maybe considered a lead-in note from the previous measure), but it’s not in the transcription. I’m wondering whether it’s my ear that’s off, or if the transcription was simplified…

It did look to me like @BigAl played those occasional quick double notes - right? So at the very least, it’s not just me hearing it. :slight_smile:

I’m still trying to find time to record bad Moon Rising, but hopefully I’ll catch up for Crazy…

6 Likes

I had thought that was some sort of synth sound. The bass line is clean as in the above original reference

4 Likes

I only play Short scale basses due to injury I got. The bass I’m playing is a custom “S” bass from Cbbasses.com
Good eye the bass in the background is a EBMM stingray short scale bass. Yes, to those double notes too during some parts of song that’s what I hear and played not sure if there called double notes.:+1::beers:

4 Likes

@JerryP has stormed into the lead with 7/9 in the photo round on my video.

3 Likes

@Brendan it’s an Ibanez Talman TMB30 short scale.
I was learning guitar for a few years and wanted to give Bass a try. My left hand has been broken multiple times from sporting accidents and I was struggling with the one finger per fret thing on a regular scale bass. I tried a short scale and it just made sense. So I bought one for $170US brand new and am really happy with it. Made in Indonesia, satin finish on the neck, no fret sprout. All good. I don’t like the colour, so at some point I’ll strip and refinish it.
My next bass with probably be the Sterling Music Man Short Scale. At present I see no reason to change to a regular scale bass. I mean some musicians have played one their entire careers!
Here’s a demo (It’s in Italian but the bass isn’t :slight_smile: ) that shows off the range of tones from the PJ pickups.

5 Likes

Thanks @JT for leading the charge on this challenge and thanks to @gcancella for making it so accessible providing the score and bass-removed mp3s.

Just played and recorded by first full song. I’ll upload a more practiced version before we move on to the next song. I’ll go back to the first to two at some point too now that I see how easy you’ve made it …until we get to the harder songs anyway…

6 Likes

Thanks. Glad to have you on board.

2 Likes

Cheers, I had not seen one of those before, the tone and colour (I quite like it) is what drew me to it. Sounds really good in the demo too, old mate struggles to crack a smile though :upside_down_face:

Cheers Brendan

3 Likes