What inspired you to start playing bass?

@Snoopy I just did this KISS tune, one of my faves…

https://youtu.be/koi-8t6bDO0

1 Like

Constantine on YouTube does a TON of KISS transcriptions, and they are very accurate generally, you can find them here…
http://bassinstructor.ca/bass-notes-tab/

And you can watch him do them on his YouTube Channel here…

Here is his Sure Know Something.

His newer ones have the tab linked in the video description.
Of course, this one he doesn’t have the tab posted (I’d like to play that one too), but you can message him, he is super friendly, and ask if he has it.

2 Likes

I don’t got much of a cool story or background…half of it was because I always liked the rhythm of the song, the drum beat, what all goes with it. That and I grew up listening to some Def Leppard…which I hope to someday play along with ;3. I feel a odd connection to Basslines…I started to look them up after I started to play, even before at times. I was rocking with it, grooving, and was like; ‘man I wish I could play that!’. The other half is…due to a certain anime lol, and my neighbors dog that has a barking problem…but still, enjoying the journey! =3

1 Like

Con is very helpful and his bass transcriptions are really good, I have used some for my covers.
And as John @John_E mentioned you can contact him , I have emailed him on a couple of occasions aswell.
Cheers Brian

Thanks @Snoopy ! I appreciate the feedback. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s not a cool story, but it is the story that happened:

Played piano as a kid with lessons (Dad played piano daily) so I got into music in general at a young age around 13-14.

“Ended up” on the bass as part of a experimental band in the early 90’s. Did a few local gigs and then it folded.

Then life happened and went though all that. And it’s at this point where I was just thinking about music all the time but not playing it.

Then life, 20 years later, for whatever unknown reason, decided to give me some bad cards and a lot of things went wrong - family bereavements, divorce, losing house, job etc etc.

Then one day, I was renting this house that was practically empty, and all of a sudden, I felt completely free and not tied to anything at all. And I felt I was back then when I used to play the piano and was in that experimental band.

It was a really scary feeling with what had all gone on, and I was used to having to do things that I didn’t necessarily liked, but I just couldn’t ignore it, as it finally became painfully obvious what I wanted to do., and what I’ve always wanted to do: PLAY MUSIC.

It’s a bit of a life lesson, but I had finally realised that I’d sacrificed the music for other things that “you’re supposed to do”.

Anyway, with no ties, and this unbelievable experience of freedom, I immediately went out and bought a synth (Behringer Deepmind 12) and an Ibanez GSR180 bass and started to fall in love again and feel alive.

That was about 4 years ago, and I haven’t looked back since. It’s been brilliant and still is. It’s like I’ve rediscovered what I should have been doing all along, but better late than never!

And we played our first gig last weekend and it was electric :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hear you with this sentiment! Wish somebody had kicked my ass 20-30 years ago and said this.

1 Like

It’s a bugger isn’t it! But at least we’re there now after a few stray paths, which also bring their own experiences into the music now :slight_smile:

I’ll tell you what though, if anyone said to me now, “it’s me or the music”, I’ll just start laughing

1 Like

My buddies started a band in high school and needed a bass player.
I said no, because I always told myself I couldn’t play and instrument.
My friend begged me and begged me, even had a bass and amp for me to get started.
They ended up nabbing another neighbor kid.
You have no idea (well, actually you do) how pissed I am about that now.
But, life’s path is what it is, and I am just happy now to be able to play a couple instruments reasonably well and have hobbies I enjoy tremendously.

I would like some of the money and time back I spent in bars though. Alas.

3 Likes

Ah, but then you wouldn’t be who you are now though

2 Likes

I would just turn the volume up

1 Like

:smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be a bit smarter, richer and divorced a whole lot less! :sob:

Unfortunately, hindsight is only available after the event :slight_smile:

I hear what you’re saying though!

My wife and I have a standard joke when someone asks us how long we’ve been married.
“To each other, or cumulatively?”

2 Likes

The other one is “we’ve been happily married for 5 years. Trouble is we’ve been married for 10”

3 Likes

I have used that same line many times over my 49 years of marriage, to the same woman :joy: :joy: :joy:

I forget where I read it but my favorite quote here was when someone was talking to their grandfather about their relationship issues and asked if he and grandma had ever had bad days. The guy deadpanned back, “Son, we had bad years.”