What is up with all the signature basses?

Well from all what I hear that is like an “anti signature signature bass” being all no BS and affordable like that…

Kind of Sire Marcus Miller series…

4 Likes

Well, yes and no! I understand what you are saying… it’s certainly not the “signature”, but it was Geddy Lee (in this case) who asked for some specifics (neck shape, bridge type, bridge placement, PU placement, string spacing, …) that made you appreciate this particular bass.

Sure, some people buy it because their bass hero is playing with it, but others buy it because the find the design changes introduced by that particular bass player interesting and aligning with their own preferences.

Glad you found a cool bass that you didn’t even know you wanted in the first place :smile:

4 Likes

That’s a fair and solid point. I would have loved that bass with any name on the back of the neck (other than Clemson Tigers), but it wouldn’t have been made to those specs but for Geddy wanting it that way. So, thanks to Geddy, I suppose.

When I was a kid baseball mitts used to have different players “signatures” in the pocket. (This does not seem to be as common these days.) I really wanted a Don Mattingly glove, and my dad tried to hammer in that the name on it didn’t matter, it was about how the glove fit and felt. So we went to the store and I wound up really liking a specific glove that had a Ricky Henderson signature on it. Ricky happened to be a Yankee at the time. It took a solid 10 minutes to convince him that I just actually really liked how it fit and that I wasn’t just picking it to have a Yankee’s glove.

That said, if I ever came across an affordable Cliff Burton signature, I’d probably get it even if I hated it. :rofl:

Cheers!

4 Likes

That is what marketing does for you :grin:

3 Likes