What makes a great 5'er? What are the 'best' 5ers (if that is a thing)?

@Fahri I’m sorry you were offended by my comment, it wasn’t meant to insult you. It’s a general statement meaning first hand knowledge and experience rather than just going by someone else’s opinion. “Parroting” is simply an expression meaning to repeat or utilize second hand information to form opinions. Again, it was not directed at you and I apologize if you took it that way.

4 Likes

@PamPurrs It is all good! I just felt the need to remind everyone that a forum is a public platform, open to all opinions and it is a shared responsibility to be clear with our messages since they can be viewed by anyone online in the whole world…

Although I value highly opinions on first hand experience, I wouldn’t mind reading second hand opinions “IF” they are also giving a reference to the original source… But that is me.

By the way I still did not completely forget about the desire to own a 5er, also a fretless! Their time will come!

4 Likes

Any mentioning of a 5-string (or, Heaven forbid, a 6-string) usually triggers a more passionate discussion about the necessity for more strings, string spacing, neck dimensions etc.

So, just in the interest of opening up towards the other direction (and because I just saw it on NoTreble) - here is a 3-string, tuned B-E-A - that should take care of the low end :grin::

(PS: sorry for slightly de-railing this thread, @John_E)

4 Likes

I think you are still taking a step to “re-railing” it :smiley:

That is a funky looking thing though! So before D’addario starts selling a 3 string set you would have to buy a 5 string set and throw away the D and G ?

2 Likes

I’d just get a Zoom B1four and a good set of headphones.

1 Like

What about the option of an octave pedal vs a 5 string? Pros and Cons?

1 Like

Haha, yeah… There are a few string makers where you can buy individual strings. Some people string their 5-string basses E-A-D-G-C and they typically buy a standard 4-string set and an individual C-string.

2 Likes

Octavers are for effects… I would never recommend them for “replacing” the B-string on a 5-string! To me, octavers never sound like the real thing (but, to be fair, they don’t claim that either).

3 Likes

Was that for the “portable amp” thread??? :wink:

2 Likes

Derp yep :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So true @JT
There is a guy on YouTube who is quite popular in the sax world, Jay Metcalf of BetterSax. he constantly says, the right sax, mouthpiece, reed, ligature, etc is only the right one…for YOU!

He is so right. He is a Yanagisawa sponsored artist. I did a TON of desktop research before buying my first ‘real’ tenor, and bounced off to the shops to try out horns. I knew a Yanagisawa, or, a shiney new Selmer Series II would be right for me, until i blew them. Hated them both, ended up with a horn most saxophonists despise, a Selmer Mark VII. It replaced the best selling sax of all time the Mark VI, beloved by all. It was very different and got the reputation of being terrible because all the Mark VI users couldn’t adapt. I tired 9 Mark VI’s out against the VII and the VII never went back on the shelf. I hadn’t been in the camp prior, so my opinions weren’t based in fact, only in others preferences. Net/net, a used MK VI tenor can run you between $8000-$14000 (in good playing condition, depending on serial number) and a VII can run you between $2500-3500, simply becasue of thier reputation. I love that horn and its one of the few I own that are not vintage Conns (a horn several people told me never to buy becuase the are too hard to play, of which I own 10 now, go figure).

If you like it, its right for you.

3 Likes

I think @howard has an autofil programmed for replies that start off with “get a ZoomB1four”.
:sweat_smile: :grinning: :upside_down_face: :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

:rofl:

Don’t know if this will be useful to you, since I have only ever played two five-string basses in my bass journey thus far.

The first was a nice (heavy) custom-made guitar with the typical setup. I too found it hard to navigate the strings and knew that if I was going to play 5, I would A) need a reason and B) have to sit down and put some time in to ignoring that B-string – had the same feeling as @itsratso. Overall, it felt kind like an extra hassle. I was VERY new to bass at that point, however, so take that review with a grain of salt.

The second one I played was a multiscale. It was an Ibanez(?) and about the same weight as my Jaguar, so not bad at all (plus no headstock “dip” because it wasn’t a Fender product). The multiscale thing threw me off even more than the fifth string, but that worked in my favor. I don’t know if this is everyone, but I found it easier to pick out notes in my head on the thing because I had to concentrate on going slow just to work that weird fanned fretboard. So it forced me into relearning bass on the spot in a way. Also my ear was more “trained” with what my fingers were doing, so exploring notes was more enjoyable. Plus – The guy who owned this bass said you could tune it to practically any note a person was capable of hearing, and it would sound great.

I think if I’m going to take the plunge into the 5, I will go for a multiscale. Both the versatility and the idea of having to modulate everything I’ve learned on a bass, anyway, kinda sold me. My 2 cents!

3 Likes

Something that more advanced players appreciate is that with a 5- or 6-string, and in particular when they have to sight-read during a gig, they don’t have to move their fretting hand very much and still have pretty much all the range they need underneath that hand (if that makes sense!?).

4 Likes

The funny thing is I haven’t owned a Zoom in a long time at this point :rofl:

They are just such good bang for the buck, though. Great entry level practice tool.

5 Likes

Having that B string is great, and it will open a richer registry so, that’s one of the selling points.
The string spacing is also another selling point (some people could find this uncomfortable).

As for ‘the best’, I stated this on other threads that I think that’s a relative concept, what’s ‘the best’ for me, probably won’t be the same for you… …explore for yourself the different options, people in here or research can give you some suggestions, but I’ll recommend you to get what works for you (could be slim or thick, round or flat neck, flat or round fingerboard, etc etc).
Since you’re the one that will end using the bass, you’re the most adequate to find the one!

Aside from that, I’ll also recommend not go with ‘a 5 version of a 4 strings bass’…
…if you want to, go to a store and try it out, if it’s comfortable and you enjoy playing it, go for it.
Just take in mind that 5ers and 4ers are totally different animals and what are pros for some, could be cons for you.
Try it out!

Those are my 2 cents :wink:

2 Likes