What Song Do These Bass Notes Belong To?

So glad you took the challenge @Vik! Once you feel the rhythm of the song and how it builds, fitting into the groove just kinda happens, and when it does, it’s kinda cool! Such a fun song to play bass to, and with just those few riffs, you can jam all day to the song. So happy to know that you’re back in the saddle my friend… You ARE an inspiration!

Keep on Thumpin!

4 Likes

@Vik: :+1:
As for Lanny’s challenge: he didn’t make it easy on us because he omitted the accidentals in the sheet music… so, some of the B’s you plucked should have been Bb’s :grin:

But, yeah, great reading exercise!!

4 Likes

Made this one much easier this time. Included the key, accidentals, and even wrote in the tab. Sorry about all the changes, but after I transcribed the notes, I found several mistakes and made some changes. The song is played at 78bpm.

CLUES:

1. The song was an “on and off” work in progress for approximately six years
  2. The songwriters father was a classically trained musician.
  3. The bands lead guitarist didn’t care for the song because it didn’t “rock” enough.
  4. The song was listed at #173 on Rolling Stones list of the 500 greatest songs of All times
  5. The lead singer was originally a drummer
  6. The 6’ 1” bass players influences include: McCartney, Entwistle, and John Paul Jones

5 Likes

I thought I had at least the group in question right away, @Lanny, but, actually, I don’t think I have anything… Drawing a blank so far :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

OK @joergkutter -

• song released in 1973
  • although the band is a rock band, the song is more a ballad
  • the song was featured on their debut album
  • the band originated in Boston, MA
  • they are still an active band
5 Likes

Boy, that took me a while… I just don’t know my Americana… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I tried playing it, but had to look it up!! Still so hard to connect the bassline to the song for me - I guess I’ll just watch you when you do a cover for it!

6 Likes

It’ a very melodic bassline @Vik that builds in both structure and intensity as the song progresses. Timing and intensity are the BIG challenges with this bass line since that is where the melody’ true feelings exist.

I’m hoping to have a recording finished later today but no later than sometime tomorrow since I’m back in the hospital for another heart procedure early Monday morning.

8 Likes

Good luck man, hope everything goes well.

8 Likes

Me too, @Lanny . . . but mine’s only a stress test :roll_eyes:

Good luck with yours! :+1:

8 Likes

I hope this one was scheduled and expected… and not some emergency follow-up!?! All the best from here! And also good luck with the stress test, @Jazzbass19!

6 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter - this one is a result of a Chemical Stress Test that I had done several days ago…

5 Likes

Oh man, sending some healing energy to my bass bro’s!! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

I’m out this weekend, on some painkillers, had to get a tooth extracted, and an implant put in from when I busted it as a kid. Nothing compared to heart procedures though! Stay well, my friends, remember, your bass is waiting, you can’t be down long!

6 Likes

Absolutely, good luck to you too, @Jazzbass19

5 Likes

Here ya go @Vik… I’ll also post on the Cover Thread.

Dream On

6 Likes

I’ve probably heard that song dozens of times and yet never would have made the connection. great cover, nice tone on the Ibby for it.

Also nice work on the backing track, you removed the bass without killing the mids.

4 Likes

Thanks @howard… It was a fun one to do and kinda brought me back to my guitar roots a bit.

5 Likes

Love that Ibanez SR series, I use Nickel roundwounds too on mine, it’s such a fun bass to play! I’d say this is one of those basslines that provides great foundation and support for the song (which is what we’re supposed to be doing :slight_smile:), but maybe it’s cuz the song has such a strong guitarist and lyrical presence that it’s tough to pick out the bassline on its own.

Had no idea this song was from '73, and was their breakout song! I used to listen to them as a kid in the 80s, and just thought this song was part of that era!

4 Likes