What song pushed you into picking up bass?

Yep! That was me. That was the first bass book I bought after B2B, agree 100% that it’s a great resource to build your “bass vocabulary” of popular patterns and riffs.

The Jamerson book is next on my list!

2 Likes

I can’t remember if it was a song or just an improv (this happened around 20 years ago :rofl:) …
…but when I was a teenager and was thinking about which instrument to pick, I heard something from Marcus Miller and automatically decided on bass,

2 Likes

My one song I remember more than anything that I really wanted to learn. was Roundabout by YES. and when I managed to play it the first time. it was an extremely emotional experience. I feel the bass in that song more than any other song I can name off the top of my head.

3 Likes

I guess it would be one of my songs…I needed bass chops to record and here I am trying to learn on the big strings. It’s a lot more fun though than I ever thought it would be.

5 Likes

That’s awesome :slight_smile:

Which reminds me, haven’t heard your latest yet, off to the other topic…

4 Likes

For me it was Red Barchetta by Rush. It took me way too many years to act on it, but I was hooked! Looking back, I think I was always a fan of the bass, many of my favorite songs have prominent bass parts. Better late than never! Red Barchetta Live

3 Likes

oh yeah, schism is one epic bassline, I wanted to learn this song right away

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/KYYk1D414mM

I love how the bass is featured in hard driving rock music as in the Eagles song, “ One Day At A Time”, featuring the great, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit playing bass!

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/eZQyVUTcpM4

4 Likes

The song that really caught my attention for bass was White Room by Cream.

Jack Bruce really created an earworm riff in that song.

4 Likes

I think as a kid of 10/11 years on a subliminal level the part at the 54 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aLiT3wXko0&t=54

5 Likes

@Conor + 1 for dean town

1 Like

I have avoided this thread, simply because I don’t believe there is any one song that pushed me into picking up the bass. It’s been a long process of being attracted to the basslines of every song I’ve listened to for decades. Not one song, but all the songs, It took me this long to finally decide that I want to be a part of it. Here I am.

2 Likes

It sounds strange @PamPurrs but I’ve gone the opposite way around from what you have written.
I’ve been a hard/heavy rock fan since I was 15ish ( whispers years ago) with a somewhat blinkered view of most other styles of music with the exception of classical.
Since playing bass I’ve gained a real appreciation of so many genres and find myself trying to play along with anything from Motown, pop and even recently some jazz/swing!

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/xwTPvcPYaOo

This song was one of the big pushes but I came to this through guys like Duff Mckagan and Nikki Sixx as well. Since picking up the bass though I’ve started to listen to other bassists such as Paul Simonon who has become possibly my favorite. Now I get my drive to continue to play from a variety of people instead of just one particular song. I have found inspiration from a variety of styles as well.

5 Likes

I was having a pretty rough go for a while. My friend hadn’t been playing for a few years, since we met, and wanted to start again. I went with him to a guitar store and thought… I need a new hobby. I can do this. So I bought a bass. I was listening to a lot of Cream, and Derek & the Dominos. Not a particular song, just want to play like Jack Bruce and Carl Radle.

5 Likes

This would be quite the accomplishment, but it’s doable. I encourage you!
The world needs another Jack Bruce… he was an amazing bassist. It’s a shame he and Ginger Baker couldn’t get along; Cream would have lasted much longer.

4 Likes

I sincerely doubt that it’s doable lol… But I’ll have fun trying. Yeah, for all the props Jack gets, he’s still under-rated. The world could use a few more Cream albums.

Amusingly, Blind Faith was Eric and Ginger, with Steve Winwood and Ric Grech. Eric had been talking about bringing Steve in to Cream for keys, song-writing, and vocals.

And Ric is no Jack, but he’s pretty good in his own right. Have a listen to Traffic “Welcome to the Canteen” with Jim Gordon on drums (tragic… But the best damn drummer ever. All your favorite studio albums through the 70s? Yeah, probably Jim. He played with damn near everyone, and it was simply understood that Jim would be playing in studio, and your own drummer would take a seat)

And Carl was no slouch. He was consistently voted top 10 bassist, if not top 5, through the 70s (until his death). Clapton could have picked any bass player, and he picked Carl. Only reason they split is because Eric wanted to get clean and Carl didn’t.

So. Yeah. Lol

3 Likes

Great band @Krescht, Chris, I have Scorpions on vinyl from the seventies.
Their live DVD “Acoustica ” is awesome.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

A lot of bands influenced my choice to start playing bass from The Cure and The Smiths or RHCP but hearing Pino Palladino made me buy a fretless…Paul Young - Come Back and Stay (Official Video) - YouTube