What to do when you screw up

This is a bit of an old thread, so I hope OP has found his answers among the many useful comments and doesn’t mind if I go a bit off-topic. I just want to pick up on the “sleep on it” suggestion. It did not happen much during B2B or I don’t remember it, but now that I’m learning full songs and play over (more complex) recorded music, it happens quite often that my brain picks up a few key moments or passages and repeats them while falling asleep or sort of “in between” dreams. For sure part of that it’s practicing late in the evening, but has anybody experienced something similar?

Also on the original topic: if the same/similar mistake happens quite often, I would take the sequence that causes trouble and repeat it at much lower speed, even in 2 or 3 notes sub-groups, until the fingers just know what to do at regular speed, possibly before the mistakes becomes ingrained.

3 Likes

I borrow from both of the folks below, but also the rest of this clever bass crew that has chimed in:

@howard nails the live approach. Yes to this.
Mistakes are the only constant in music. You’ll always mess up.
So learning how to keep your ears and brain on track and get back in the song at the right point is the most valuable music skill you can develop.

But also…

@sshoihet makes a great point. I try and set a mental note for myself in a practice session. Am I working out parts, or am I performing?
If I’m working out parts, then I go with @sshoihet 's described method where I try and hone in on the parts that are giving me trouble and make sure I can deal with them in context.

If I’m trying to practice the performance, I make sure I stay on track no matter how hard I biff it.

4 Likes