Whatcha Watchin'? The TV Thread

I don’t watch much TV… but series that I can watch whenever I want without ads (hear that Netflix… put ads, I cancel the sub!)… and Acolyte has been my latest preferred thing to watch… but House of the Dragon is there also… although I haven’t started this new season.

2 Likes

Must see: Glastonbury 2024!!!

Maybe you can watch it with a VPN in non-UK?

Just watched the Idles and I have changed my mind about the current state of Punk: PUNK IS NOT DEAD!!!
What I just saw was better than anything I remember from the late 70s / early 80s (let alone anything later!)

@howard - you were right ^^

Also great:

• Fontaines DC
  • This is the Kit (not my kind of music, but I appreciated it!)
1 Like

Recently finished Dark Matter on Apple TV, cool series, read the book a few years ago, interesting story and concept. Next up for us is The Bear. Third season is out now. It takes a bit to get into but I think it’s a great series. The Christmas dinner episode from season 2 is probably some of the best TV Ive seen.

Punk is totally not dead :rofl:

2 Likes

Told you so … now :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey just a heads up: S3 of the bear is EXTREMELY intense and i very very much recommend not binging it. i did and i wish i had spaced it out. also the S3 ‘ice chips’ episode makes the S2 xmas episode look like a spa day, just a heads up.

3 Likes

The Bear is superb. Full stop.

It seemed impossible to improve upon season 1, but season 2 met the established high standards and pushed the envelope.

Similarly, season 3 has surpassed the high bar established by the previous two seasons.

The excellent acting by the ensemble cast is apparent, but the direction, cinematography, and editing are equally outstanding. The showrunners continue their legacy of capturing lightning in a bottle with this simply excellent, award-winning series.

That said, this heady concoction is best sipped, rather than chugged. Take the time to savor every spice and flavor. You’ll be glad you did.

2 Likes

agreed - it is exceptional and i think ep 1 of S3 may be one of the best episodes of TV ever.

2 Likes

Is it a documentary?

It’s a dramedy. The series and actors have won Emmys every year since season 1, absolutely crushing it in every category.

This ^^^ 1000%

Before each episode of The Bear starts, its runtime is displayed on screen. When season 3 episode 1 was about to come on, I was surprised and disappointed that it was just under 24 minutes! WTF?

But all disappointment soon evaporated.

The amazing amount of expository and the insane number of clips in the episode blew me away. The episode felt as though it had been an hour long, and I mean that in the most positive way. It was rich, complex, revelatory, heartbreaking and exciting, all at once. Simply superb storytelling that broke the mold of what we think of as a “TV show.” This series is an intensely dense, continuous narrative that expands and evolves before our very, very fortunate eyes.

The state of the world might very well suck at the moment, but The Bear gives everyone who watches it a solid reason to rejoice in humanity.

2 Likes

Yes, Idles smashed it!

I’ve been watching Glastonbury too with VPN :sunglasses: Seen some very cool sets.

Currently watching Disclosure - it’s nice to see them perform with live bass.

2 Likes

I went and saw Idles last month. First time my old bones have been in a mosh pit in almost 10 years. I had a blast, but I only lasted 4 songs in the pit. I was wiped after the wall of death in Colossus.

2 Likes

@howard is always right.

Oh, except about the Beatles. @howard is definitely wrong about the Beatles.

:rofl:

I totally and absolutely envy you! It’s on my list of things to do before I die!

Will watch them for breakfast. What is missing is my current favourite band, “Big Special” and wonderful Bob Vylan.
I haven’t seen any band from the Left Field stage for streaming/download :frowning:

Billy Brag is also missing :frowning:

Just finished Brawn GP on Hulu the second time. I used to watch during the Ferrari era then stopped and just pickup again a few years ago on Netflix. So I missed the story altogether. It’s such an amazing story.

To someone who know the technical, please explain the redundancy part on ep 1. I just don’t get it.

Even better Acolyte episode this week, very well done. Some very interesting hints from Qimir as to who he really might be.

1 Like

Keyser Söze!? :slight_smile:

I’m watching the current episode of the Acolyte while writing this … and still find it very boring.

But: we are rewatching Breaking Bad currently, for the 3rd time now. This is the PERFECT series, in my opinion: script, dialogs, actors … everything is great, down to the smallest details!
There are some hints that Heisenberg might be Walter White … don’t know yet ^^