What's most effective for you?

I don’t even think it is talent. He grew up with music. So what he says is coming from someone who learned it from his very first steps, almost like growing up bilingual.

So kinda like learning a language: when you learn a language later in your life, there might be much more practicing involved than learning your first language.

Having said I that, I do like practicing by playing songs. But this also involves breaking it down and only playing small parts. Just like when learning a foreign language and practicing the pronounciation of something.

As children, we didn’t care if we slurred some words. Now we care very much if a note is buzzing :smiley:

2 Likes

SBL has the Player’s Path that pretty much is for learning stuff by learning and playing songs. It has 9 levels of increasing difficulty and there are now almost ten songs per level (all different types for every taste; you can play them all, or just pick and master three to advance to the next level). The songs are all newly composed for this purpose (often “in the style of…”), ranging from just over 1 minute on Level 1 to five, six or more in Level 9.

Each tune teaches you stuff by showing how it’s applied; whether it is song structure, half time/double time, syncopation, phrasing, plucking approaches, melodic elements, and so on. Each song’s page has pointer to more material if you wanted to learn more about certain aspects, but you certainly don’t have to.

It’s really a very well designed program. The only drawback is accountability and being checked/tested, but that is generally a problem with online-based education.

3 Likes

Unless you have an intuitive understanding of music (or maybe theory learnt through a previous instrument) I think there is a danger with the ‘learning by playing songs’ approach of just becoming a mimic. Possibly a very good mimic, but there is a danger that you are going to lack an understanding of how the harmonies, chord progressions etc. are put together. And also a danger of just getting good enough to get away with a bunch of bad habits. Which, based on Josh’s and Mark Smith’s teachings, I see a lot of pros doing. So maybe you’ll just say ‘so what’ and that is of course your choice.

Personally I think the best approach is to use both approaches in harmony with each other. Which as I understand it is what Josh’s B2B does (I have bought it but haven’t had the time to start it yet other than the first module which is almost all familiar to me).

I make this point because after many years trying to play guitar (not bass) this is what I effectively became; a mimic learning songs from tab and by ear but with no real understanding of how the music was constructed. I’m determined not to do the same with my bass, and already after about 9 months I’d say I have advanced further than I ever did on guitar in several decades.

2 Likes

Are these full songs?

I’m very interested in this!

1 Like

When I stated out in my late teens, someone who inspired me was Eddie Van Halen; I taped every metal show out there I could find and I remember one interview with him; “I never had guitar lessons, I thought how are you gonna come up with something new if you go by the old book”. For late teen me, this was inspirational! I thought, fuck learning scales, fuck learned music theory, just play and become a legend!

I never progressed further than “passable”. I played in a few bands, even did a gig, with nothing but root notes. I could keep time no problem, so it sounded fine. But I never learned to play bass, really.

Gave up after 4 years, found out I was much better at drinking.

Now, having started again last year at 47, having done B2B, mixing my practice between exercises, theory and learning songs, I feel like I progressed further in that half a year. Sure, I had a base, but not a very good one. Flying fingers still come back sometimes when basslines are hectic. Pinky finger never got involved. It’s my second most important finger now. For me, I need both a “boring” schedule and just playing to progress.

5 Likes

Yes, of course. Intro-verse-chorus-ending and all kinds of variations. Mostly instrumental, but some have a bit of vocals on there as well (bit of rap even). All kinds of stuff really.

The challenge with this analogy is that we were all taught to speak, initially by our parents, and then our speech is further developed by our teachers, along with our ability to read. Yes, we all likely learnt by doing, but equally we were taught and practiced. I well remember being sat down and helped to read a book, then the next, then the next. I also remember the ‘flash cards’ that were used to reinforce reading, but also word understanding. Most of us were taught the structure of language, the grammar.

Equally, even now, in my mid 50s I practice speaking my native tongue, specifically for when I have to stand up in front of audiences and present.

Of course, we learn from all those around us, yes, we learn doing, practicing, but we should not underestimate the value of being taught!

3 Likes

Now that’s gonna make a fine enough bassist :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I began playing bass in 1965 when there were no online lessons and the only books on it that were readily available were like Mel Bay volumes #1 and #2. So learning by listening to then copy or emulate a bass line was all there was. That and showing one another in person what we’d learned.

Today we have an entire universe of players hosting websites that provide lessons and tutorials and old guys like me who offer private lessons to get the beginner moving in the right direction on their journey to learn their instrument. IMHO we should not be overlooking any opportunity to advance.

3 Likes

I do have this book on my shelf. I think I better actually read it. Thanks for the reminder.

What’s amazing is that I’ve been kind of chastising myself for my sketchy “practice” technique. I learn from zero ability, experience and very little self belief.

I managed to dispute the latter irrational belief, bought a cheap bass and the B2B lessons. Josh’s (enlightened) approach and the way I was able to learn his lessons my way, I was actually able to build a foundation.

A couple of years and about 1.5 times through the course and I was off and running. Now I spend my time chasing the next awesome riff.

I really think I would be better of bringing at least a wee bit of structure back in, though.

But I have already met my goal to learn an instrument (so much more I could learn).

Sorry, I seem to have just blathered on about myself. Apparently I’ve been thinking a lot about this.

I should probably cut this and paste it into the introduction section. :blush:

2 Likes