What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

Iā€™m currently looking at getting a drum looper for practice and messing around. Have narrowed it down to the two below. I know there is Beat Buddy stuff, but Iā€™m more drawn to these two.

Currently leaning toward the 10R, because that has more rhythm functionality, which seems better for a bassistā€¦

1 Like

the NU>X. LoopCore soes about the same as what the 5 does, with like 3 times as much space, and more drums IIRC.
for $99 it was a stea
l, but I have not backed to back played with it, I just res the specs side by side and the NU>X seemed the better deal with more features.
That said, some like Boss for the real thing, and I get that if you rather spend on them, my hats off to you.

For $50 more, you can get the NU>X LoopCore Deluxe that comes with a footswitch for easy activation and looping.

And I think you get 8 hours recording, and with the first one you get 6 hours, unlilmited overdubbing on both.

2 Likes

Beginnerā€™s FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out): My Sansamp BDDI arrived today. Spent two hours looking for comparable clones (mostly Behringer) after this thread drifted that way a couple days agoā€¦ Eventually grew weary and just bought the Tech21. For the non-US readers, we are receiving some COVID economic stimulus money distributed right now. Figured it was better to blow part of it, rather than all of it on a new bass.

Now thinking about getting rid of my Ampeg SCR-DI (Rarely used)

5 Likes

While weā€™re on the subject, thereā€™s also the Two Notes Le Bass which is another Tube driven DI/OD.

3 Likes

I was not a fan of my SCR-DI. The preamp side was great and had some nice tone to it (though very light). The scrambler was a joke though, some of the worst distortion I have owned. The BDDI will be way better for an overdriven sound for sure.

2 Likes

Yup. We have a tube topic :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@howard Yeah, I bought the Ampeg right after I got my first bass 8 months ago (a passive Mustang). Its pretty good for that sound from that bass. And blending the backing track is easy. The -db pad is a weird ass horizontal jumper inside and underneath - instead of a simple switch.

The ā€œScramblerā€ circuit is useless as you noted. I try to think of it as a good headphone amp, but at that size etc the Zoom B1-4 beats it with itā€™s drum machine, etc. I got it new-in-box for $100, so I think I can break even on it. Thatā€™s the plan and how I justified impulse buying the SansAmp :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I was sad because I love the ampeg sound (which it has a little of) and wanted more of that, but the Scrambler was just so bad.

Itā€™s otherwise a nice piece of gear though. And I love the amethyst colored LED :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Calling all gear experts:

I have a question about the Tech 21 SansAmp Character Series VT Bass DI I just got yesterday.
Iā€™ve been playing around with it, and have discovered that I can turn off my Rumble 500 amp head and 115 cab, and just play though the PreSonus studio monitors I recently acquired. Obviously, they donā€™t have the same power, butā€¦

Theoretically, does this mean I could sell my amp head and cab, and just buy a large and powerful speaker to hook up to the Tech 21 pre-amp?

Sorry if this is a lame question, but all this pre-amp, amp head, cab, etc stuff is still somewhat of a mystery to me.

P.S. I hope this is the correct thread in which to ask this question

3 Likes

thatā€™s exactly what I do : I run the Bass POD Pro into the DAI and then into the KRK VXT8 monitors. I donā€™t have a bass amp since I sold the Ampeg, one year ago. I donā€™t need an amp right now because I only do studio stuff, but I will eventually get an amp when Iā€™ll have to play with other musicians. still, the ā€œpreamp into monitorsā€ thing works perfectly well.

3 Likes

Yes it does. You really only need an amp and cab or combo amp for playing with others.

2 Likes

Okay @terb and @eric.kiser , but again, couldnā€™t I play with others or perform on stage with the pre-amp hooked into a mixer and a large and powerful speaker?

2 Likes

thatā€™s what some folks do, with a preamp directly into a PA. it can work ā€¦ if you have a PA.

3 Likes

Okay, now weā€™re getting somewhere. I remember awhile back in another thread perhaps, @howard talked about doing that exact thing. So, how about if I got a PA? Isnā€™t that just a big speaker?

dumb blonde-------> Pam

2 Likes

Like this for example? Would that work?

1 Like

One thing to note on @PamPurrsā€™ question: donā€™t you still need a way to drive the large speaker? The monitors are active, so they have a built in amp. I guess if youā€™re going with a PA speaker, those are also powered, so that works. Then comes the question of sound quality vs your rumble head and cabā€¦

3 Likes

This a perfect question for @DaveT. He would know more about how to choose a PA that would handle your bass.

2 Likes

This thinking eventually goes full circle. The PA @PamPurrs linked to is a 1x15ā€. That will give you at best the same sound as a 1x15ā€ cabinet and likely not quite that because the cabinet isnā€™t as big as a bass cabinet. To make a PA sound as big as a bass cabinet it needs to be that big. Usually we end up adding subwoofers to PA if we want it to go that low, which is essentially adding a bass cabinet.

Itā€™s all in how low you need it to go to like it.

4 Likes

Not at all. Part of the reason you became the BABG is because youā€™re never afraid to ask questions and put yourself out there to learn new stuff.

I think itā€™s great you ask all the questions you do and even better that you figure out how to apply all the knowledge you gain.

Keep being you Pam. Weā€™re all better for it.

3 Likes