What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

That’s why I asked because it strangely seems to kill more noise as I approach either extreme making it confusing which way I’m going.

2 Likes

Ok, now logic is out the window. :rofl:

2 Likes

I think what’s happening is I don’t require a great deal of gate to squash noise in my setup so both the high and low settings work, I just don’t know which is which. Source audio has great cs, I might just ask them.

2 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t paying close enough attention.
Source Audio. I wonder if they mean to go into the software and set your MAX threshold between -60 and -100.
This way when you are at max, you are somewhere between the two?
Have you linked it to the software and looked.

May not be it at all, but since it is Sunday and they won’t get back right away, maybe something to look into.

2 Likes

So, trying to wrap my head around this. If you’re correct and I think you are, if I set it for -100, it would let more noise through (under 100) before gating and -60 would be a more extreme setting?

2 Likes

Noise gates I have used are generally on or off. What it sounds like to me is this is setting the low noise threshold (i.e. what is the level it waits for a signal to hit to open the gate and let sound through.)

1 Like

Not exactly.
Lets say your setting is 0 to between -60 and -100.
so it could be saying to set it up (in the software) to somewhere between -60 and -100.
For instance you could go in the software and set it to -80, meaning your onboard control now can be set between zero and -80.
And the zero may be an incorrect number, it could be -20 factory set, with an option for the limit number.

But you would have to hook the pedal to the computer, and link in the software and see how the pedal is configured to do this.

like I said, I could be way off base here, but was giving something to play around with until you can talk to them.

1 Like

So first of all they changed the threshold numbers, they’re now -25 to - 100. Here is the software window.

2 Likes

OK, figured it out. You do not need to go into the software, you can make the same adjustments on the pedal through the clickable menus. When I crank my gain on my amp and kick on my noisiest pedal (compressor) l get a lot of noise. -100 setting doesn’t affect it much but going down to -90, -80, etc quiets it more.

1 Like

I’m still trying to understand why you even NEED a noise gate. On the Zoom multi effects pedal that seemed to be the case, but now that I’m populating my pedalboard with individual pedals, I have no problem with unwanted noise.

2 Likes

Yeah - I’ve wondered the same, I never need to use mine. If it weren’t builtin to a preamp it would be off my board.

1 Like

I don’t think in most cases you do. But I already have one built in to my EQ pedal, so might as well use it. Im a bedroom bass player so I can definitely hear the diff. If I was onstage, it wouldn’t matter.

4 Likes

I play exclusively through headphones :slight_smile:

Sometimes I can hear a small amount of background hiss but it’s so small it doesn’t bug me. If I need to I can easily remove it in the DAW as well. It’s nowhere near the level I would feel the need for a noise gate. I kind of look at them as a last resort, for when the noise gets so bad it is more important than the attack loss that you can get with noise gates.

1 Like

Like I said many times, for me, and for me only, I listen to my full pedal board thru headphones 95% of the time. Even so, the noise in not “unbearable”, but I often sit in front of the computer and look things up, get on this forum, search amazon, whatever, but I can sit with my bass and headphones on for many minutes on end without playing a single note. to have that whit noise in your ears can get quite annoying, so, I chose to get a noise suppressor to eliminate this. it works very well, I am happy with it. do I NEED it, no, do I love it yes.

1 Like

The good news is, you guys are getting good ones :slight_smile:

3 Likes
6 Likes

Some Crazy Synth Fuzz in there.
It would be cool if one day I can sort thru some pedals and make a funny video.

2 Likes

I kind of want that plasma tube pedal.

Also Renee is the perfect bassist for this one.

Also Gregor’s Space Invaders shirt is badass :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@PamPurrs Someone, in another thread, brought up your foot pedal for the overdrive on your amp and that reminded me of some questions I’ve had for you.

Do you use the Fender overdrive on the amp?
Do you like it?
Do you like the Bass Tube Screamer you got?
Do you ever combine them?

3 Likes

@eric.kiser I LOVE my Tube Screamer.
I used the foot switch for the amp overdrive a lot before I got the Tube Screamer. Now it seems the Tube Screamer on it’s own is adequate. I have combined them in practice, but it seems overkill. It might be more appropriate if I was performing at a gig.
The jury is still out on whether or not to keep the overdrive foot switch on the pedalboard. If space on the board becomes an issue, it will likely be the first to go.

4 Likes