What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

What kind of jacks Joe? FYI, even though a lot of amps have an effects send → effects return, most bass players just run pedals before the amp (bass → pedals → amp (preamp → poweramp → speaker).

2 Likes

Yes I realize that, @JoshFossgreen . . . :slight_smile: . . . and thank you!

I was just kidding around a little bit. As you say, there are effects send & return jacks. There are also footswitch, aux in, XLR line out, & headphones jacks . . . plenty of room for expansion later on. But I could use the footswitch to toggle the overdrive circuit on and off.

Sorry if I caused any confusion . . . :blush:

All best and thanks again, Joe

3 Likes

Ah, gotcha. The humor went straight over my head, I must have had it stuck in “the low end.” :guitar: :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Used in a sentence; “Dude quit GASing and practice.” Or, “Eric was really GASing for the Aguilar Octamizer.”

Car guys like more car parts.
Tool guys like more tools.
Gun guys like more gun parts.
Computer guys like more computer parts.
Bakers like more kitchen tools.
And Musicians like more gear.

I’ve known each of those people and they all GAS the same. They just GAS for different stuff. For all of them there is a combination of hobby, artistry, and usability to what they do. Also, as Josh said, it’s FUN! It’s fun to get new stuff to play with and experiment with.

Having said all that, Yeah, this sh*t can get really overwhelming.

5 Likes

True words! GAS gets all of us, and we are all, openly or secretly (wrt our better halves) scheming to get that new piece of hardware… Entire basses and big amps are kinda hard to bring into the house undetected, but, hey, better to ask for forgiveness than for approval :grin:

That octamizer will never even register - go for it :crazy_face:

3 Likes

An interesting comparison on the subjects of so many effects pedals for guitar and bass would be keyboards. You and I choose to buy a pedal (or 10) to fulfil a need/desire, but there can’t be many keyboards that don’t have dozens (hundreds even) of effects built-in as standard. The keyboard player doesn’t even choose to have them - they’re just a button away whether they asked for it or not. Even my wife’s electric piano has several voices, the option to sample (emulate?), and numerous percussion options, and it really is sold as a piano, not funky futuristic keyboard.

Spot the guy growing up through the 80s based on my language.

2 Likes

guitar/bass pedals often work well with a synth, by the way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m resisting the temptation to look into pedals (for now), preferring to focus on learning the basics, but tonight I nearly got sucked down a rabbit hole after stumbling across this pedal review(not review). I can just imagine not getting any better at playing because I’d spend all my time playing with the sounds. Looks/sounds like fun, but for another time.

9 Likes

wow, I love this thing !

4 Likes

That’s a cool sound @lee_editorial! It’s for sure gonna scare any guitarists away! This stuff is definitely worth continuing, jamming like that is probably the best way to come up with the good stuff. You are right about getting back on the course too, if only for the reason that it will help you communicate with the drummer in a very concise way about your intentions. Like - when we hit that fill at the 32nd bar and you altered the feel to a shuffle and I played a 3/4. etc. You would move the rest of your creative process forward in leaps and bounds. Note - If you play the same riff without effects and it still sounds good -it is good! If you play the same riff without effects and it sounds bad? It’s still good! That’s where you’re playing the effect, which is also just as viable a proposition. All the best with that.

2 Likes

Love the synth filter/arpeggiator at 2:04.

4 Likes

A current (and one of my personal faves) use of bass effects within context.
https://youtu.be/fRvR_47JtTc?t=396
Not everyone’s cup of tea, or coffee, but right there in the subject matter! Kicks in at 6.35 in case yr not a Tool fan.
As an update I’m going to see @bottomfeeder this weekend to test iteration #2 for me, but probably more for Stuart. Having tested the first iteration I cannot wait to try the new one. Older members may remember his testing page - here to link: Pedal-in-a-Bass

6 Likes

I want. I want I want I want.

3 Likes

It looks like a fun toy, but rather pricey at $300.00… I don’t have any expectations of ever playing in a band, but if I ever have some extra cash laying around I might buy one just for fun.

3 Likes

I had deliberately avoided finding out the cost on the logic that if I didn’t know how much it was I could assume it was way out of my reach, otherwise I really wouldn’t make it past M4L4 (as of today).

I couldn’t manage that right now, but for a built-in drum machine, DI facility, a looper, a few routine effects plus the mind blowing gimmicks… well perhaps I’ll be writing to Santa for the first time in 40 years.

4 Likes

Wow thanks for sharing @PeteP, I’ve had my head out of the pedal game for some months. That tracking is impressive!

Nice tool share @muff. Does Drop D ever get old? It’s the bad-ass-est tuning.

3 Likes

$300 is a little steep but I’m not surprised, that thing looks awesome :slight_smile:

For a less expensive alternative, you can still pick up Zoom’s B1on here and there for $40 or so - I was just describing how much I loved mine in the other topic - enough to upgrade it, in fact. No DI, but it has a drum machine, looper, tuner, 100 effects, amp and cab models:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/bass/b1on-bass-effects-pedal

Its replacement model (the B1four) is about $79.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1FOUR--zoom-b1-four-bass-multi-effects-processor

There’s some free software you can get for it that makes it really easy to program.

Here’s the stage-worthy model:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B3n--zoom-b3n-bass-multi-effects-processor

I’ll let you know how I like it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m addicted to Drop-D ! even if those times I’d like to try BEAD … seems pretty badass too :grin:

4 Likes

Ooh that’s interesting. Buy 5-string strings and use the good four :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooooh - y’all wanna start an alternate bass tuning thread, I’m WAY in.

5 Likes