What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

Ah, so you just confirmed I know something!!
Haha!
Yes for the Week 1 challange I went straight into my Focusrite, but for Week 2 I am planning on using either USB or the XLR, and apply some of the amp sim capability.
This of course leads to countless iterations of what tone I think works with the song.
Bad Moon Rising is tough as you can barely hear the bass in the mix, so I am trying to pick a tone that makes me happy. With 8,356 or so (haha) combos to choose from, this is harder than learning the damn song.

4 Likes

right, I wonder about that sometimes. I downloaded a free cab sim a while ago. there was like 4-5 different cabs modeled. when I clicked on the folder to open it, there was over 100 sims for each cab, over 600 different files in total. different combos of mics, mic placement, heads, etc. I mean who can listen to 600 files? I wound up randomly choosing one file for each mic to compare and trashing 95% of the files, unheard.

1 Like

Someday theyā€™ll manage to design knobs, sliders and menus to do what we want instead of loading a different file for each change! At least we donā€™t have to type the file in each time we turn it on.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just floored by the VMT. It sounds absolutely great. Iā€™m talking the tone of a $3k tube amp coming out of a 40 watt practice amp goodā€¦especially paired up with the BDI-21 (readjusted all the settings though). Just an incredible value on a pedal even though it is $200. I have it as always on now!

3 Likes

Havenā€™t even tried it on my gigging rig yet! Also it sounds superb into a DAW as well.

1 Like

So? Lol

2 Likes

Itā€™s a great buy, basically the real thing. The wine cellar is ā€œbig tone for a little priceā€ and is a great solution for people on a budget who still want the tone shaping but donā€™t want to drop $200+ on a Tech 21 product. But the Tech 21 products are phenomenal. They even have a Geddy Lee signature pedal as he was a Tech 21 user.

2 Likes

It might be the all around best pedal. Like, of all.

I love all their pedals but the VMT is just so generally good.

The VT Bass DI Pam just got is up there too. Out of all the preamps I had I liked it and the ValveDrive the best. Nothing is going to top the ValveDrive for me for what it does, but the VT Bass DI did a lot more. The ValveDrive sounds better as a tube sounding preamp, but thatā€™s all it does :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It didnā€™t take me long, experimenting with the Wine Cellar, to realize this technology is exactly what I need. Sooooooā€¦ I decided to go with the Rolls Royce in the category. I had the money to spend on it, so I went for it.
Iā€™ll have it tomorrow!

3 Likes

It is pretty amazing what it does for your tone isnā€™t it?

3 Likes

I love preamps. Good, colorful ones with a tone of their own, anyway.

3 Likes

People have been telling me for a long time I should get a preamp, I finally got around to it.

2 Likes

You certainly picked a good one to start with :slight_smile:

1 Like

um ā€¦ yeah but Iā€™m returning it to Amazon.

1 Like

Oh I meant the VT Bass DI. The Caline is good too!

2 Likes

Ah, okay. Yes the Wine Cellar is quite good, but I decided to go with the VT. I have no complaints about the Wine Cellar at all.
I hope the VT is everything the critics are raving about.

1 Like

I like the idea of mid control on it tooā€¦heard the Geddy Lee one was good too, and heard in some demos, might be more colored though

2 Likes

Iā€™m seriously just in AWE of the VMT. I donā€™t really use OD much, but itā€™s dirt sounds good! For me though, itā€™s always on and the clean sound to me is fantastic. I got the drive knob very low, level knob at maybe 1 blend all the way up and era at about 1-2oclock, and that tone it adds Is just so FAT and bright with some nice color (slight but kind of Ampeg Tubey).

2 Likes

VMT is my favorite Darkglass pedal. Even after I purchased my Aftershock, I felt I still wanted it. Iā€™ll be honest and say that i thought my Fender Rumble 40 added too much of its color vs what I was hearing in demos. Still, it became my always on pedal ā€¦ Until I heard all of @howardā€™s samples on the EBS Valvedriveā€¦ And now:

Now the only pedal missing is a Source Audio modulation pedalā€¦

6 Likes

Thats why I can justify buying Sterling Stingray Ray4, cuz it still says MusicMan with the music man logo on the headstock, its just smaller then the STERLING and preceded with ā€œbyā€. so Sterling by Music Man.
They both have Music Man on it, and althought they may de seperate cost centers, they are most certaiinly one of the 3 Ernie Ball companies.

That said, I would buy a Squire (the right one) and be happy with it even if the By Fender is too little to read from afar. LOL

2 Likes