What's your opinions on buying Fender?

There’s more to the world the the US. MAP is a ridiculous concept. MSRP makes more sense. Trying to force the retailer to advertise at a minimum is irrational. Sell the retailer the product and let them decide how much margin they want to make.
MAP is illegal in the EU and the UK.

MSRP is pretty meaningless here; MAP really fills that role. That article is incorrect in stating the price companies sell an item for - they limit what the advertised price is. You usually can get it for less.

MSRP doesn’t work in Europe either. I have seen several European firms set a artificially high MSRP just so they can advertise a discount.

The part that troubled me about the initial story is that companies colluded to set prices. Thay shouild have a hammer come down on them for that.

They had it on the arch over the entrance to the market in ancient Rome - Caveat Empto, let the buyer beware

Exactly MAP forces stores to only advertise at the price set by the manufacturer. They aren’t allowed to advertise below the MAP. However you know, I know and anyone with any buying experience knows; just email / phone and you can negotiate a better price.

So it’s kind of pointless. It’s from the pre internet dark ages when you bought your stuff from the local store and it was too far for you to ride on your horse to shop around.

Like anything else pricing related, both are tools to try and extract maximum cash from uninformed buyers. They are just slightly different tools.

1 Like

Just like dairy farming, maximum amount of milk with the minimum amount of moo.

2 Likes

Quick update on my Fender experience, just for the laughs:

After 3.5 weeks, my Duff McKagan PJ finally returned from servicing yesterday. The P pickup is working now, but only when I switch to P mode. In PJ mode it’s J only. So I guess now the pickup selector is broken… :partying_face:

5 Likes

This is usually my luck.
I went for years with everything I bought had something wrong with it.
I think it happened so much I got my lifetime fill.

Total bummer @akos, that blows.

2 Likes

Oh jeeze. Ya think they could make that work

2 Likes

Nice QC there. You would think they would have tested it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems that atm. the safest bet from Fender is a Squier. :smiley:

3 Likes

This kind of “quality” warranty work also simply reinforces my primary mantra around buying basses: always buy used, from sellers with good reputations.

I recently had a good experience buying new, but then sold it at a loss anyway. I should listen to my own advice more :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m right there with ya. There’s one bass on my bucket list I think will be new, but will be used after that.

3 Likes

Can’t complain about my MIM P bass but there’s really very little they can f*** up there

That’s dreadful, no excuse for not testing it before returning it.

Who was looking after the repair?

1 Like

Probably the night janitor, by the looks of it…

I don’t know really. I returned it to the online retailer, they sent it to “a qualified technician”, then back to the retailer, and back to me. (I don’t want to name the retailer, because I assume it’s not their fault.)

1 Like

:joy:

Fair enough.
I remembered you were also in Ireland so was wondering if it was one of the local retailers or the distributor. But if it’s an online retailer outsourcing the repair it could have been anyone that did the work.

Bud’s While U Wait Scrapyard and Guitar Repair

2 Likes

I am generally 99.9% in 100% agreement.
Caveats 0.01% is in case someone puts out a super cool new bass and I gotta have it. If I didn’t have the Bello bass, aid have bought a Paranormal with the gold pickguard in a heartbeat.

I enjoy buying used, enjoy the hunt. Like find oddities of yore and love me a deal.

Never bought a new Sax, ever, except for an experiment from China to see quality.

3 Likes

So a 1 month update. I’ve had this long enough for the honeymoon period to be over. My thoughts? Yeah, I really like it. It does what it says on the tin. It’s fit and finish is excellent and plays nicely.
My only idle thought is this is $800 and the US made ones start at $1400. What are people getting extra for another $600?
Don’t get me wrong If you have one / want to buy one, it’s your money. I just wonder what upgrades are there?
It is nicer than previous Classic Vibe Squier’s I’ve owned, but not by much.

7 Likes

Not much IMO.
Since I’ve only ever kept 1 fender stock pickup in a bass, I wouldn’t be buying higher price for better pickups. And if the fit and finish are good and it stays in tune and you like the looks of it then what’s left? Bragging rights I guess? Resale value perhaps?

5 Likes