What's your opinions on buying Fender?

@Wombat-metal LOL…apparently my local GC is full of overachievers…LOL

4 Likes

So, allow me to sway this conversation in a different direction (just for fun, because I realize this is mostly subjective). If you guys were given the option to either keep the SBMM Ray 34 or go more towards a Fender, what would you do?
I ask because I read a post on here by @chris6 and it may change my perspective of what I have (see post below):

My theory on body colour/neck combos for any one interested is that they should contrast each other. So if you have a light coloured body it should have a rosewood neck and if you have a dark body it should have a maple neck. This gives guitars with either combination a proper definition. For example I have two strats - a daphne blue with rosewood neck and a dark sunburst with maple neck. My Olympic white jazz has a rosewood neck. Putting a rosewood neck on a black body just looks ugly in my opinion (unless you’re playing bass in a death metal band and then looking ugly is probably seen as a good thing). Similarly a maple neck on a light coloured body like olympic white, butterscotch or daphne blue just looks washed out.

2 Likes

I would go Fender, but I’m hardly objective in that. But the Paranormal is a fine looking bass.

I’m a Fender fanboy so others probably can give you a better opinion

5 Likes

I now have 5 Fender basses (one of them is a Squire) and I must say I really like them all.
I really really like the Aerodyne PJ (mine is a used early 2000 MIJ) And a Squier Jazz that I modded.
I also have a MIM 50s vintera P which is getting heavily modded as well.

For that price range…

1. Base model Squier then mod it (new pickups electronics) and you are still under budget.

2. OR this…(would be my first choice.)…
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Squier/James-Johnston-Signature-Jazz-Bass-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc
    You can still play around with new pickups and be in your budget as a backup plan, but this bass is a beauty. And you get your matching headstock and keep your blue theme going.

3. OR an Aerodyne (they are just beautiful)

4. Or that Paranormal above (which I still want for looks alone)

5 Likes

I went the Paranormal rout and modded it, but I’ve been watching that bass you linked. Fine bass

3 Likes

Oh boy.

Here’s the short version of my experience with Fender:

• Waited months for my dream bass to be in stock (Duff McKagan PJ)
  • Bought it in March
  • TBX pot was loose and broken on arrival, J pickup was unbranded instead of Seymour Duncan
  • Returned for refund after less than a week
  • Waited for months again until it was back in stock
  • Bought from a different retailer in June
  • P pickup stopped working after 6 weeks, no refund this time, had to return for servicing
  • It’s going to be weeks until I see it again, and I can already guarantee something’s going to be f.ed up again

So based on my experience: don’t. (Unless you live next door to an authorized Fender repair center.)

3 Likes

Your first name isn’t Murphy is it? Yikes.
No issues here so far with Fender exept amp side.

3 Likes

No bueno. I’ve had similar experiences with Ibanez, but my Fenders have all been good.

2 Likes

You’re my exact opposite then. My SR500 has had zero issues, and it’s been my workhorse since day 1.

2 Likes

Yeah I had similar issues. I pre-ordered my SR600, and waited months for it to come in, and when it got here, the preamp didn’t work. I couldn’t exchange it because they were sold out. Factory warranty was the only route so I returned it.

Will be a while before I buy another Ibanez, so I totally get where you’re coming from. No bueno.

2 Likes

Have you looked at the short short short scale Fenders? Ideal travel bass.

9 Likes

Now there’s a fretboard you don’t need an Ari Cap book to learn!

4 Likes

That captures the Fender Giant Headstock aesthetic so perfectly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would keep the Ray34 @Steve73 unless your heart is really set on a Fender.
But…. definitely go and try a Fender first. It’s really easy to see your “ideal “ bass online etc , buy it without spending time at least having a noodle on it and then being thoroughly disappointed when you sit down with it at home.
Mistakes like that can also eat a big hole in your finances. Trust me on this :neutral_face:

3 Likes

That’s good, you’re not paying for all those extra frets you’re not going to use.

6 Likes

Rays and Fenders sound completely different.
So keep in mind if you love the sound of your Ray, you may love the look of a Fender but be shocked at how it sounds.

3 Likes

And to be honest I find my Ray4 a lot easier to play than my P bass.
I think the neck might differ on the Ray4 and the Ray34 so that might not be so much of an issue?

1 Like

Not sure if this will help @Steve73 but I “drank the Fender Koolaid” BIG TIME! Got a MIA J, MIM P, MIM Mustang PJ, and a MIJ Aerodyne. I love them all.

Do plan on buying an EBMM and a Rick some day for shits and giggles, don’t need them, it’s GAS thing.

Hope that Fender sip of Koolaid helped. LoL

3 Likes

When sales people try to help and I don’t want it, I tell them I’m looking to fall in love with the perfect bass. They usually understand that trying to help my with that is a dead end.

If they persist, I’m honest and I say yeah that bass is okay but it’s not the marriage I’m looking for, I’m looking to fall in love and that means I’m just going to have to go through all of them and see what strikes me.

The idea of working with you to go through all the basses on their wall is something none of them want to do because it takes too much time where they could be picking up other sales.

Initially, I had no interest in Fender. To me they looked dated and the Fender hype was just boring and It took a while before I even tried one.

When I finally did… I couldn’t believe it. It felt like it was made for me.

Then, I still didn’t believe it. How could it be this easy. I spent months going to music shops trying different basses and always came back to the Fender Jazz.

I now have a 2015 American Standard Fender Jazz Bass with Custom Shop 60’s pickups.
10/10 Very pleased.

The only reason I can see that I would ever get another bass is because I have this picture in my head of one I would like to build. And, maybe, someday, I would like to have a better quality acoustic bass. Mine is pretty cheap.

5 Likes

What is the right bass is very personal. Me, I love a Jazz neck. Just something about it. My P bass even has a jazz neck. Something you have to find for yourself.

2 Likes