What's your opinions on buying Fender?

@Al1885 Thank You. After reading your comments and all others, I think I’m going to keep the Ray34, at least a bit longer because I love the way it plays and sounds! It just feels great! I was thinking the same thing that you mentioned. If I sell it, I would probably miss it.
I looked at the graphite necks but I’m seeing so many maple neck setups, especially MM,!that I hope this one will grow on me over time.

1 Like

Well said @howard . As @Al1885 suggested, I think I’m going to keep the Ray 34 and “try” a less expensive Squire that I can mod myself.

Thank You all so much!! This is why I love the bass community. I read and appreciate every comment/reply and got the absolute best information and opinions. I am going to keep the Ray34 and purchase a cheaper Squire that I can mod to my liking. The Ray 34 is amazing in build quality and sound. I’ve also gotten use to the weight of it, so there’s absolutely no reason to sell it. If nothing else, it’s a maple neck rig that I’ll have in my arsenal.

1 Like

Dat maple is awesome for slappitty if you like it.

1 Like

It’s pretty simple really the more expensive the fender the more it’s been touch and most time by many different people before it gets to you.

If you don’t mind and have the know how you can really turn the Squier bass into a kick a$$ fender killer for a few hundred bucks of upgrades.

The main problem with Squier is not the hardwares but fit and finish. I came across more than a few necks with frets sprout and leveling issues they are not terribly difficult to correct and once done you’ll be good for a long time.

The pickup on the Squier are actually hotter than the more expensive cousins(US and MIM) probably because the they figure that beginners probably plug into a cheaper and smaller amp and hotter pickups are needed. From experience the Vintera p bass pickup are not as hot as the Affinity p bass.

Hardwares are surprisingly functional, I tune my bass before each use with a strobe tuner the vintage modified fretless squire consistently stay in tune more than its cousin.

Personally, I don’t care much for any of fender pickups at any level that they offer. The company also seems to try to bank on the reissue over and over. It’s becoming like wine vintage, is the 57 better than 65?lol. Missing the big point that most modern pickups can do both vintage and modern sound.

Don’t get me wrong the best mod Squier would get you 80-85% of the made in US of A but it’s the last 10% that really make the lasting impression on anyone who plays them. That and US made hold their value really well.

That’s my 4 cents :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agree on the neck thing with Squier, if you get a good one, magic, if not, you have some work to do. My luthier agrees.
My Squier is the most in tune bass over days of not playing than any other with the possible exception of the BFR Stingray.
The only problem with upgrading my Squier Jazz is that I am now so happy with it I can’t even see buying another straight jazz bass (which is why I haven’t bought the Paranormal or a higher end active jazz) although a MIJ Aerodyne straight jazz in flame blue to match my PJ would be an instant purchase just to have the matched set.

3 Likes

Well there you go :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Seems to be the goal.

3 Likes

A few have mentioned Aerodyne and I was going to suggest this one too, I have 2 of them , one export and one non-export.

2 Likes

Hmmmm. I wonder what’s in that last 10%.

2 Likes

Fit and finish in general, especially fret dressing, higher quality tuning machines and bridge (though the ones on my Squier are pretty darn good), and, most important to me, better electronics. The Indonesian/Malaysian instruments use smaller, cheaper pots and a much cheaper output jack.
That’s why the first things I modded on my Squier Jazz were upgraded pickups and a pre-wired control plate with CTS pots, a Switchcraft output jack and more reliable wiring.

2 Likes

Wiring harnesses are easy to find for Fender basses, and super easy to install yourself. You can buy prewired Jazz plates.

EMG pickups come with pots and jack. But oddly, no foam.

I’m pretty unskilled with tools, and I changed two pickup sets, pots and jacks. Anyone can

2 Likes

Wellllll, I can change all of that in the 90%. I’m still wondering about the last 10%.

2 Likes

its body wood quallity (which I am not convinced matters much (it matters, just not enough in the grand scheme of everything else that matters, therefore, it really doesn’t) and therefore it is the quality of the neck that matters.

I have a great Squier jazz neck, others not so lucky.
Frets are dressed, board is flat, rock solid.

1 Like

I definitely agree with the pots, better and usually more expensive pots feel and function better the the cheapo for sure. They offer more consistent linear range and heavier feel when you turn the knobs. Almost all highend Fender has center detent and the lower end doesn’t.

Well if you put the roasted maple neck and add a little more lead tape to the body cavity it would feel pretty close to the us made ones. Although, the American Deluxe, Elite and the ultra also feature more ergonomic carve under the neck slot, 5 bolt plate and larger body cavity. Some find that the Squier are a bit too light.

If you sand the back or the neck and apply a few thin layers of boiled linseed oil you’ll have pretty close satin smooth feel like the US made neck.

My Steve Harris project was a lot of fun I ended up with the bass that look, feel and sound like a any highend bass. Definitely just as component as my highend Sadowsky I had.

2 Likes

Perhaps a little bit late on the Fender topic but I still want to share my experience.
I have a G&L Tribute L-2000 and a Squier Classic Vibe 51 P-bass. I recently tried out in a store several Fenders, from a MIM P-bass to the high-end for around $3000. The quality of the classic vibe Squiers (in the $425 range) don’t feel “cheaper” than a MIM and the G&L Tribute has better built quality than a MIM.
Conclusion: G&L vs Fender MIM, the winner is G&L. Between a Squier classic vibe and a Fender MIM, get the Squier and plenty left for strings and upgrades. Seriously consider looking at G&L and Sire before spending on a FENDER. If your budget allows you to spend more than $1,200, that’s were I feel the good Fenders start.

3 Likes

I know what you mean about not connecting with a guitar for cosmetic reasons. I had the navy blue fretless Fender American Pro II but I couldn’t get past the headstock being the same color as the back of the neck. it was almost yellow and I just couldn’t get past that, as much as I liked the bass, so it went back to the store.
I do like the Fender basses and I think the Mexican made ones sound nicer and they’re also cheaper.

2 Likes

Look at used G&L because their resale value can be horrible if you’re in a hurry to sell.

Example $500 Cdn for a practically new JB. List price is about $800 Cdn.

2 Likes

That seems like an average used price to me, not bad at all. Rule of thumb for me when I buy is 50% of list, 60-70% for truly “like new” instruments.

2 Likes

Stick with the Squier then. Being distracted by the next, or greatest piece of gear, bass, pedal is not going to help us to learn how to play. When we look at our bass hero’s, remember that they all started with one bass. Usually a poor quality cheap instrument from the 60’s or 70’s, often lent or borrowed from a friend. Adult onset GAS is a serious issue, we can afford to change them so we do, a lot. Eyes on the prize ;).

1 Like