When the music's (not) over

There are no strangers here, we are all friends.

If you question that, join one of the Live hangs, or meet up with a bass buzzer in your area, you will see, it feels like you are among people you have been with for a long time.

I am so happy to hear you have picked your bass back up, I hope you are able to keep finding that inspiration that she gave you, within her spirit, and / or with others that you are close to.

8 Likes

Really sorry for your loss Regina. It’s ok to go through this trough in your drive towards bass playing. Just think why did you pick it up in the first place and Eileen was sure a great motivation, I am sure slowly and steadily you will come around… May peace be with you

9 Likes

@Regina So sorry to hear about this loss. Celebrate her life by living yours to the best of your abilities. Playing bass, climbing, whatever. Big bass hug.

10 Likes

It can really suck grieving for someone who was close and with whom you shared a bond such as the 2 of you found in music. I have 1 of those songs here that I know someday I will finish. It’s been a few years now and we weren’t really close but we met back in '76 and had managed to reconnect after I moved to Jax, just prior to his death. At first working on the tune made me think about my sadness for my loss. Then one night when my neuropathy was keeping me awake, I got up and I finished the lyrics and I swear my bud was sitting there playing guitar and providing inspiration. Still working out the music but I still get the muse assist and I can hear him now saying, “damn bro just finish the damn thing already!” Now when I work on it all of my thoughts are of the happiness this man brought to my life. Kinda makes me not want to ever finish because I enjoy that rush that I now get while working on the music. Grieving takes time and you may have days where you have to force yourself to pick up your instrument but your friend will be there to guide you as soon as you are ready. Giving up music is the last thing either of our friends would want to see us do. I miss having an active life, used to love climbing with a preference for rock rather than gym walls. I can no longer do that which I used to enjoy so instead I have decided to invest myself in learning as many different instruments as is possible. Sending you groovy vibes

PEACE Y’all

8 Likes

Hi Regina, I have lost many friends these past few years and I know that we all deal with loss in our own way. If I can say three short things, firstly, love yourself, secondly, cherish the fact that your friend came into your life and will always be your friend and thirdly, in the short term, do whatever it is that makes you happy. It doesn’t need to be bass or climbing, it could be a movie, a coffee date, just whatever you want to do on any particular day. I hope this helps. Peace

9 Likes

I can totally empathize. In May 2016 I lost my oldest son to kidney disease. That devastated me. Then in April 2017 I lost my wife of 35 years to kidney disease. That one almost made me give up on life. It took a long time to get beyond those losses. I could not eat, could barely work, and things that I had previously found joy in, I just did not care about. I was mad at God for a long time, but then one day, I realized He did not punish me for any perceived slight I may have done, He rewarded them and took their pain away. Eventually life started making things okay again. It is till hard sometimes to make it through a day but I just remember them at their best and the hurt lessens. I feel your pain and will say a prayer for you.

10 Likes

@EddieJones your son, your wife and you are in my thoughts.

5 Likes

Hugs @EddieJones . I can’t even imagine your pain.

5 Likes

Great wisdom @EddieJones … thank you for sharing your story.

I lost my dad in May of 2018 (70 at his passing - to agent orange related maladies) and my younger brother in January of 2019 (47 at his passing - to brain cancer), so it sounds like we (and many of us Bassbuzzers) have been partners in pain.

You’re right…

…but I try to think of it as a victory (for them) and pray I see them again one day in eternity.

Prayers for your continued healing!

6 Likes

I have actually re-married to a wonderful woman from TN. She understands that the memories I have with my late wife are mine and mine alone. I told her we would make new memories as time went on. She is the one that got me the Vintage VJ74 Re-Issue bass a month or so ago. We just celebrated our first year together this past July. It took a while and I miss my son Chris and my late wife Aida everyday. But, as they say, life goes on. Sometimes depression will try to sneak in but I just put my head down and deal with it the best I can.

7 Likes

So sorry to read about your wife and son @EddieJones .
Your inner strength to deal with so much is inspiring

4 Likes

My condolences @EddieJones . I can’t imagine the pain of losing two very close loved ones in such a short amount of time.

4 Likes