Which one is better

I’ve had a few Warwick basses including a Corvette ( German made) with the jazz style pickups which was pretty cool but heavy.
The best advice is definitely try before you buy .
I’ve still got 2 Warwicks. Both RB’s and both are great to play

3 Likes

I’ve got a Warwick RB Corvette, and my god it sounds beautiful and clean. J/J pickups give a lovely bite and the RB preamp seems plenty versatile to me. It might not be a German made one but it felt better to me personally than those I tried that were - by which I mean if you can try them then don’t worry about what’s better on paper because that might not be better for you! I’m not a fan of the Yammy BB basses but I am still very, very keen for a TRBX.
Tbh I can’t imagine you can go wrong with either choice as long as one (or both) make you happy!

4 Likes

I loved my BB734A’s tone and playablility to death but they are just too heavy. Loved both of my TRBX’s too.

2 Likes

I know, but:

3 Likes

Yeah there’s a bunch of Corvette models; Corvette Standard, Corvette $$, Corvette 4 (and older), etc.

1 Like

@Barney duh

Somewhat unpopular opinion, but looks are important to me on any instrument I own. If I look at it and don’t like it, I will probably not play it much even if it produces the sound of a chorus of angels.

I guess call me shallow :smile:

Pickups and preamps are easily changed on a bass you like the look and feel of. Strings are even easier to change.

Example, I’m not super into the fretless/flatwound sound, but every time I see my GWB35 I just like seeing it, and will play it sometimes just to enjoy it for a little while. I don’t see myself really recording with it or using it in a band situation.

6 Likes

It’s not an unpopular opinion. Looks are everything for me :smile:

7 Likes

Looks count for a lot. My first bass was a Schecter CV 4 in natural finish, bought from a store going out of business, eminently practical but I was never excited to play it.

Bought a jazz and never looked back.

You can fix a lot of things with a bass. My Squier Tele P bass doesn’t stay in tune well, for $20 upgrading to Fender tuners (same set as player series). The pickup is being upgraded to address the sound and hum.

None of this is expensive, and for under $500 total I will have a great bass.

5 Likes

I with you on this. Lemmy agreed with it also.

Looks. Feel. Sound.
You want all three.

4 Likes

For me the order is:

Feel > Look >> Sound

You can easily fix the sound; stock bass tone is vastly overrated. You have far fewer options to fix the look or feel.

4 Likes

Good point. I just watched Geddy play with Yes and he made that Jazz Bass sound just like a Rickenbacker.

2 Likes

Yeah. Between technique, effects, and editing, tone is by far the most mungible quantity. I am pretty sure I could make any bass sound stellar in a recorded mix, and for quality, live matters much less than that. Live space acoustics are generally terrible in comparison to studio recording.

4 Likes

Hi Pam, I agree. Just pulled the trigger on a new Yamaha BB734a in Dark Coffee Burst. Yamaha instruments play like a dream and you can’t beat that 734 for an $800 bass.

3 Likes

It really is an amazing bass for the price.

1 Like

Good for you! I still regret the day I sold my BB735

1 Like

mmmm, coffee

4 Likes

Humming Black Coffee in Bed

2 Likes

Now she’s Go o one

1 Like

As my mother would say….

“You have to connect on a mental and emotional level of course, but, you have to wake up and look at ‘em every single morning, so you better like what your looking at”.

Applies here too

5 Likes