Which Squier Bass does Josh use in his videos?

I know this is probably like the 1000th post asking this, sorry :grimacing:.
I’ve seen in many of his videos, for example " 7 Basses You Should NEVER Buy", he has a White Squier Bass with a Blue/Purple accent pickguard, in the minute 7:21 he says it’s $280 too.
Does anyone know the exact model?

1 Like

@JoshFossgreen would know….

Lol

He should see this and respond.

3 Likes

That’s probably a signature model, lol.

He modded the pickup and preamp I think. Squier doesn’t offer 3 concentric knobs and passive/active switch. It looks to me like a classic Vibe model but lord knows what preamp he puts in this bass. It sure looks like he can adjust to any tone he wants.

I’d almost want to say it’s a drop in John East Retro jazz but the top knob is a bit too short on every angle I see, lol.

2 Likes

@Al1885 It looks like it could be an Audere preamp. They have a little blue light which comes on (and goes off) next to the jack, and I think that’s what I see.

I have a different model Audere and like it

3 Likes

From Josh, about his Squier:

2 Likes

Yup, y’all got it right above, here is every gory detail you could ever desire about that bass:

• 2016 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
  • I scotchbrited the crap out of the paint job to make it less shiny on camera :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Audere Pro JZ3 VB 4B Chrome preamp dropped in, I really didn’t like the stock electronics
  • got that pickguard on Etsy somewhere

But the MOST important fact about that bass: it’s not that great.

I hear from people fairly regularly who are trying to hunt down that exact model, and IMO it’s a waste of effort. It’s pretty heavy/chunky, not any better than the current Classic Vibe models, and overall not my favorite Jazz bass to play, or even close. It’s just become my go-to BB bass, mostly because I like the colors.

So stop overpaying for used VM models, please! :stuck_out_tongue:

18 Likes

What color is that pickguard? Sometimes it looks grayish blue, sometimes it looks purple., depending on how the light hits it (which I like). Please divulge - this has been poking at me for months. MONTHS

1 Like

It’s like ‘the dress’. We will never really know.

5 Likes

Except we do know what colour the dress was :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Love the classic lines of those classic Fender J-Basses. I don’t have one yet, but I was thinking I’d like to build one, one day. That pre-amp is interesting though. I never was to keen on batteries. Wonder how long do they last, and is there a passive mode by-pass.

1 Like

Battery last about 2 may be 3 days if you leave it plugged in if you unplug after every sessions probably last 6-9 months.

Granted that I have a few extra active basses and they are on rotation some of them are 3 years and still going strong.

2 Likes

I think I changed the battery twice in my TRBX. Once when I bought it, and then once again 2.5 years later when I sold it. It was my daily driver most of this time.

3 Likes

There’s a blue light that comes on and goes out when you plug in the jack, it tests the battery and you know you have juice (or not). Mine doesn’t have an active/passive, but it’s not Josh’s model either.

3 Likes

It was called “charcoal” but it does look really blue sometimes, especially in the 10 Levels of Arpeggios vid cuz the color grade:

Some preamps have an active bypass, but this one doesn’t. Batteries last a really long time though! Like at least 6 months, maybe more.

6 Likes

omg thank you

1 Like

The thing that primarily creates GAS in new players’ is that you make that thing look supremely easy to play. But experience teaches that it’s the wielder, not the particular tool wielded, that gets the job done. :axe:

3 Likes

That’s really good to hear! I bought a satin smooth Fender Jazz neck last year, and haven’t gotten around to assembling a Jazz Bass around it. I think when I do though, I just might try out an active pre-amp!

This is so true. One of the cool things to witness is when a really good player goes to a swap meeting, picks a crap/cheap instrument…and makes it sound like custom shop instrument. It may be that the Squier is a POS, but in Josh’s hands it sounds and looks real good. Makes that GAS kick in…

2 Likes

Jamerson’s Fender was notoriously awful, so bad that other bass players called it simply “unplayable”. A lot of “it” really is in the hands.

3 Likes