Who do you aspire to be/play like?

So, are you changing your “vote/nomination” in your previous post?? Gotta make up your mind here :grin:

3 Likes

As if I would do that.

It’s when you’re forced to chose only one that you begin to realise how many bassists have been influential in your music choices, isn’t it? My favourite player is easy to name, but then there are aspects of several others that lead me to the instrument, then there are others who may have only given me one bass line that I love, but it’s lasted my lifetime (so far).

I’m thinking Keith Richards might have been a better person to “be” (not play like) as I’d have had a long rock star lifetime already, and still have the prospect of a death-defying time still ahead. Even god is quoted as saying “I didn’t create Keith Richards, he was here when I arrived.”

5 Likes

Yes, that is part of what makes this is a bit tricky, yet interesting!

Aspiring to be Keith Richards!?! Well, hadn’t expected that :grin:

2 Likes

Really? Who doesn’t want to have drank the devil under the table, left him there, and gone on to become the inspiration for a Disney pirate?

2 Likes

Well, if you put it like that… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

we seem to be in some kind of inter-thread negociation with @joergkutter :sweat_smile: (ref. What will you be playing today? - #4 by terb )

I won’t let go a chance to see a video cover from one of our regular members, of course, so the negociation ends here, and I’m already waiting for the video cover :grin:

First of all I will explain why I did not answer before this little negociation started. When I discovered this new thread, I tried to find what I could answer, but that’s hard. Not that I could not choose one bass player that really inspires me but the thing is that I don’t want to be/play like him or anybody else. I just want to develop my own playing : it’s fine for me if I “just” sound like myself :grin: I don’t know if I choose the right words, what I want to say is that with time and practice we probably naturally develop our playing in the sense of what we like, around our own sensitivity and musical culture, and I don’t think we need to try to copy someone (even if we necessarily are in a general manner inspired by some musicians we listen to ; and that’s perfectly fine).

If we talk about a bass player who inspires me, I will tell about Caleb Scofield. He was about my age and died recently in a car accident :sob: He played with Cave In and Zozobra and I find that his bass lines were very efficient, very sludgy (fat/slow/mesmerizing), and yet often pretty melodic. Also I love his bass tone and it’s probably one of the reasons why I mainly play a Fender Precision now (one day I might talk about my relashionship with the Precision Bass, I have a few things to say). That’s really the kind of bass tone I like, for me there’s everything here : it’s fat, relatively agressive, full, yet pretty understandable, and it does not sound like something you always ear.

Zozobra was Caleb’s solo-project, he has done everything on those songs except the drum track :

fun fact about this song : it’s me who uploaded this video on YT, on one of my very old channels, back in 2011 when Caleb Scofield were still alive

a more melodic bass line :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb2zlv1rUMo

I’m pretty sure nobody here knew Caleb Scofield ever existed, except @Gio probably.

6 Likes

Yes, I figured it would be, for some of us… not so much for others!

That’s awesome - but, in my opinion, it is also the “harder” path - trying to achieve something without someone to aspire to probably makes it harder to define goals… Or, perhaps, I am just overthinking it!

PS: now, if you all excuse me, I have a video cover to put together :grimacing::joy:

3 Likes

I really do appreciate the bass playing in Green Day. Eclectic mix of what we in the south call “Beach Music” (think Beach Boy era), rock, and punk… Mike Dirnt has definitely forged his own style.

2 Likes

I think that’s the path we all follow in fact ! trying to “copy” someone’s groove/feeling won’t work : you will get this inspiration for sure but you are yourself and you will play with your own feeling. that’s how I see the things … maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know. I really think we can get inspired but we should not try to copy. just my point of view !

ooooh yes :grin:

2 Likes

Oh, man, you nailed it!! That’s pretty much what I was aiming for, but probably didn’t make a good enough effort in my original question to coax that out of you guys :smile:

We all start off “monkey see, monkey do”, but hopefully, sooner or later, transcend that… driven by inspiration… whether that comes from the neighbor kid, and old buddy, or a guy filling stadiums with his band doesn’t matter!

2 Likes

It was actually really hard for me because even I initially thought Hooky, but it’s just not the case, as my own style sounds only a bit influenced by him.

Wolstenholme was a pretty obvious choice; heavily effected, modern bass tone, and a style I really like. Much closer to how my own style is developing. He’s not exactly right either.

Another I considered was Simon Gallup from The Cure. I love playing his basslines, my own sound kind of like his when I jam, and I love all his work.

I’ve also got more than a touch of Simon Raymonde going on, though. Some nights when I practice end with me spending like a half hour just playing with sounds in my chorus and reverb/delay pedals. Love the rythmic soundscapes he produces.

So it was tough to say just one as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s just “human” that we all get influenced by music. We are exposed to various music before we are even born and then throughout our lives. I don’t think you can just switch that off. It’s also hard to come up with truly original music that doesn’t sound a bit like something else and that still sounds good to others. Of course, there is also TONS of music out in the wild, so the chances of coming up with something unlike anything else it low probability. It is hard to pinpoint your influences sometimes, but that’s mainly simply due to just how much music most people have heard. How many thousands of songs have we listened to? I have no idea, but I know it is a lot.

You are definitely right that some people can’t (or struggle to) come up with original material. This is usually simply because some people are more creative than others. Again, it’s just biology. However, I bet your friend could do some original material if they really set their mind to it. I think for a lot of people it is mostly a lack of confidence. Sure, not everyone can write awe inspiring songs, but we all can think of music in our heads besides covers to some degree. Even more so if we have the tools and techniques.

Think of playing the bass like painting a picture. At the beginning, your creative options will be limited, because you haven’t been shown the tools and techniques. This is why most people start by drawing stick figures for people. I personally never got much beyond stick figures. :upside_down_face: But those that put their mind to it and study how to paint better, open up their creative options.

Ultimately, it’s about having fun and it is a journey for sure. I can’t wait to be able to play what I think of, but I need to learn how to do that first.

3 Likes

For me it’s Radiohead‘s Colin Greenwood. The foundation that keeps layers upon layers of sound and two(!) drummers together. He’s able to „tidy up“ (for lack of better words) super complex arrangements and is the point guard for his brother, Yorke and O‘Brien who all have their own unique and recognizable style. If Radiohead were indeed a basketball team, Greenwood would have something like 16.4 assists and 2.6 points on average (with the points being game winners or 100% open shots only…). Hope this makes sense. The guy fascinates me.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Plus they play in such weird time signatures. He’s definitely an amazing bassist.

Their vblog cover of Joy Division/New Order’s Ceremony is about my favorite thing they ever did, and he’s basically looking bored, despite it being an amazing bass piece:

Funny that Yorke is great there and is still the weak link in that cover :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Mark_D I so want to lift that Keith Richards meme… ROFL and the truth!

2 Likes

For me, it’s Carl Radle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Radle Especially his work with Eric Clapton during the early 1970’s as part of Delaney, Bonnie, and Friends, Derek and the Dominos, and The Eric Clapton Band. Let It Rain, After Midnight, and Layla - all Carl’s work! Not overly fancy, but always serving the song! I can’t find a YouTube video with good enough audio to do him justice, so if you’re not familiar with his work, find an HD audio source and check out the Clapton self-titled album from 1970.

When I get to the point where I can play Carl’s lines from the three songs above, then I’m going shopping for my BadAss Bass Player hat.

5 Likes

I aspire to play like… me. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Pino Palladino:

Mostly for his Neo-Soul/R&B history but also for his John Mayer Trio material. The epic head bop and soulful bass lines :love_you_gesture:t5:

8 Likes

+1 to all that.

2 Likes