Who do you aspire to be/play like?

No, Oldenburg is going to be an Undercurrent gig - so, different setup, but I get to see them in a more intimate setting, and with more solo time, I would assume :grin:

I think I have almost all of Sebastiaan’s recordings. I especially also like their On Impulse stuff!

I’d be happy to take further suggestions though, if you have any, @peterhuppertz! Thanks!

Please keep me updated if you get more info on this!!

3 Likes

Hahahaha! It’s good to aspire, even though it might always be a bit out of reach!
Justin Chancellor.

4 Likes

Louis Johnson of the 70’s early 80’s funk band “The Brothers Johnson”. He and Bootsy Collins took Larry Graham’s slap bass style to another level, at least I think so. His way of playing slap bass was probably revolutionary at the time. I heard Fender made basses just for him to withstand his version of slap bass because he would play it so hard that he would damage his strings or guitars.

4 Likes

jaysus

that poor music man

I got into bass because of Steve Harris and Geezer Butler. It wasn’t until I started playing (only 3-4 months now) that I started revisiting my TOOL albums and my mind was blown. Justin Chancellor has such a unique tone and everything sounds so sharp. Watching him play, it’s hard to take people serious who say a real bass player doesn’t use a pick. This video is fun to jump through and watch him play.

7 Likes

Cool video. :+1:

While Prince was more famous for his Hendrix /Clapton like guitar prowess he was also a pretty solid bass player!

3 Likes

Since we are on the favorite subject, this is my all time favorite bass or guitar solo. For most of this video you hardly notice that Prince is even on the stage but when he takes the spotlight he gives one of the best guitar solos I have ever seen. I have watched this at 100 times and it never gets old! Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and others -- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - YouTube

2 Likes

This will always stand out to me as Prince’s best, most iconic bass work:

Simple, direct, effective, and funky as hell.

Apparently Prince wrote that immediately after seeing Parliament live. So it’s excellent that George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars did a solid cover too:

2 Likes

Mhhh. Interesting question that’s harder for me to answer than most probably. As I explained in the introduction thread it was the youtuber Davie504 who got me into bass. I also think he plays quite good. From Davie504 I found Charles Berthoud and love his playing, but with him it’s more like I want to be able to pull off all those techniques as clean as he does and not “oh I want to listen all day to this.”. Still - I can’t count how many times I’ve heard him play the “hardest bass riff ever” (paid for by davie504 on fiver). And that’s the thing for me with Charles - he does incredibly hard technical stuff, but manages to make it sound really good that I want to listen to it. Just not all day, because let’s be honest - who listens all day to bass solos? (Yeah okay, might have such a day or two :wink: )

As far as bassists in bands go I don’t really have an idol. I enjoy the iconic basslines everyone knows, sure. It’s just that there isn’t this one person I think “I wanna be/play like him.”

As far as musicians go - Tim Minchin.
He is by far my favourite musician, but he’s a pianist and I think the reason I enjoy him so much are the lyrics, which makes sense him being a mix between comedian and musician.
As far as I know he stopped playing live and concentrated more on the composing side. He composed the music for Matilda the musical.
I am STILL losing it over songs of his like “Some people have it worse than I” and the first line of lyrics: “Well I wake up in the morning at 11:47 and I can’t believe I have to face the horror of another fucking day.”. To me this little line is filled with humour to the brim and it’s also very relatable.
Also if you may have a friend into homeopathy I highly recommend the beat poem “Storm” by him.
“Take your canvas bags”, which is also played in Axis of Awesome - Four Chord song is also by him. Not one of his best though IMO. But it was clearly written as a typcial pop song.

Bassist: Charles Berthoud (technical skill)
Musician: Tim Minchin (entertainment - also quite skilled on the piano)

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to play like Joe Lally from Fugazi. I always liked how he found a way to cut through the mix and provide unique grooves amid a wall of guitar distortion. For me, he’s the real reason for their unique sound and the backbone of the band.

This example is a pretty busy example of his style but he tones it down for many of their other tracks with more minimal bass lines during verses.

Waiting Room - Fugazi

7 Likes

Colin Greenwood, without thinking twice. I don’t really know how to explain, but he always find something that fits the song without really getting in the way.

The bassline for Identikit is something that I’m looking forward to learn.

3 Likes

Joe Lally is my bass hero too!
Fugazi is in my best-bands-of-all-time Pantheon.
Phenomenal bass playing, and the way that bass and drums created the groove for each song was just perfect. Perfect, I say.

Welcome.

6 Likes

I love Joe’s basslines. I feel like he is so underrated.

What about Robbie Shakespeare guys.

1 Like

paul simonon. Hits the groove, not flashy but solid, plays a bunch of different styles. Oh and looks fucking cool too.

2 Likes

great shout. Cheers for Paul Simonon.

3 Likes

Tiren Porter. Doobie brothers. A band that had multiple instruments at the same time, multiple times and only one bass player all the time. Go listen to any old DB tunes, he’s there. Did some stuff on his own as well.

1 Like

Now that I am progressing through the transition from “the owner of a bass guitar” into “a bass guitar player”, I find my answer to this question to be changing:

I want to sound like myself – only better.

I really need to stop trying to emulate others, and find my own voice again.

4 Likes

I like that, @peterhuppertz . . . :slight_smile:

3 Likes