Why active basses are common and active guitars are not?

It’s true. It’s the same reason having all your pedals be True Bypass is a bad plan. You want one buffer in there at minimum; onboard the bass is as good a place as any.

6 Likes

As much as I love my my sire active bass and it has a crazy amount of tones you can get out of it, I wouldn’t want to be screwing around with that twiddling knobs at a gig and I’d rather play my pbass for most recording… so I can see why a passive bass is preferred by many sound engineers :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah the ironic thing for me now is it doesn’t matter any more anyway. I just record flat and do all the EQ in software.

3 Likes

I hate the preamp on my Ibanez GWB35, it’s really noisy. Some day I’ll get around to either replacing the opamp in the existing preamp, put in a new Bartolini preamp or convert it to active/passive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was going to say that lol you don’t care because you’re just going to change it in post anyway :slight_smile: which is what I generally do too.

It’s like shooting raw vs jpg for photography… raw will let you get the most out of your image in post but jpg is better if you’re in a hurry and don’t want to (or can’t) spend time processing them after.

1 Like

You have it all wrong we have active basses because we always stand waaaay back on stage and we need to boost our signal to bridge the distant

Guitar players also stomp on our instrument cable to weaken the signal. These are all true facts of course :innocent:

6 Likes
3 Likes

It’s simply a crude realization of a low-pass filter, they are simply cutting all the high frequencies for us…

4 Likes

Instrument cables? Weaken the signal? That’s nuts maybe only the compression, :smiley:

2 Likes

3 Likes

I did, lol.

Compression was also the golf ball joke.

It was said that Chichi Rodrigues, is famous for telling his caddy to lightly mark his Balata covered golf ball with pencil because he does not want to risk the compression out.

Not sure if many of you would get the reference, or even heard of Chichi, or Balata golf balls or both, lol.

1 Like