Beginner Bass Lesson #1 (Your Very First Lesson)

Life sucks without bass - so let’s get you started. In this beginner bass lesson you’ll go from total noob to rocking your first song.

https://youtu.be/7anFuDXV2j8

FREE BEGINNER RESOURCES:
Bass Tone Fixes - https://youtu.be/0KgB7wIyTUw
Tune Your Bass - https://youtu.be/MjyFJYcr6-o
Learn Your Fretboard - https://youtu.be/tcok98Vk6uA
How to Play with a Drummer - https://youtu.be/PSw5uqkTPzs
More Beginner Lessons - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOl84QQMcy_DtLmMRMgQ7OGyhZcrjjbUK

If you’re doing the Beginner to Badass course… you already know all this stuff! Feel free to send it along to a friend. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, did this video give you any fresh insights or revelations? (besides that I am not a good actor :crazy_face: )

17 Likes

Very good, @JoshFossgreen . . . :slight_smile:

Thumbs up as always! :+1:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Nice tidy package @JoshFossgreen
Guess I missed the lesson with the strap-on :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Good video. You could add a link to Radiohead though to get folks playing,

5 Likes

Watched a couple of demos of the new Fender Player Plus P Bass in gorgeous Cosmic green then it appears in Josh’s video. This must be a sign? No?

4 Likes

NO!

Okay, who am I kidding? Go for it

3 Likes

I liked the part about fretting hand position, especially about where to place the thumb. I don’t think I ever saw your fretting hand placement from the back side ever before. Very useful.

8 Likes

This answered a very big question for me and I’m really glad

5 Likes

Another good video to point the reddit noobs to :slight_smile:

I was out of town for almost a week with no bass to play… but I did meet a nice bass player to talk with about jazz and bossa :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This really is a great beginner video and your production keeps getting better and better.

Great video @JoshFossgreen.

4 Likes

Added this to the BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide.

The Best Beginner Bass Introduction Ever

6 Likes

Hi Josh, I’m not very active on the forum, except maybe with PamPurrs who so kind and also another guy also very kind despite hard health problems. Thank you for your great courses. This leads me to “why don’t these great courses exist in the French language” ? Not a word of the vocabulary you use escapes my comprehension and therefore, I would really love putting this Josh’s voice into French. Be sure that any of your expressions I’d possibly doubt, I would ask you for confirmation. I used to be a professional translator for the past 48 years and played bass for the last 11 years, rather unsuccessfully since I started at the age of 65 ::. Let me know if you have thought of your BassBuzz in French. Because of your pedagogy, encouragements and your art of demystifying all the straits talking about music encounters, I am sure you’d have a wide audience. I can’t wait to read what you think about this idea which I’m sure you already had . If this project works, I’m sure your webmaster/you/your staff will do their utmost to disseminate. If you like a sample of my voice please let me know lol. Cheers

4 Likes

Hi Josh, I remember the name of this great guy: Erik.Kiser
Back to BassBuzz in French, thinking about all of these French speaking countries : Carribean, Africa, even Canada lol

4 Likes

Hi @crippledring,

in order to make sure your intended recipients read your post, it is better to @ them, such as @JoshFossgreen , @PamPurrs and @eric.kiser :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Bonne journée!

4 Likes

@JoshFossgreen
Dear Josh, I am very grateful to JoergKutter thanks to whom I am now able to forward the message below to your attention. In the future, I certainly won’t forget to @
Hi Josh, I’m not very active on the forum, except maybe with PamPurrs who so kind and also another guy also very kind despite hard health problems. Thank you for your great courses. This leads me to “why don’t these great courses exist in the French language” ? Not a word of the vocabulary you use escapes my comprehension and therefore, I would really love putting this Josh’s voice into French. Be sure that any of your expressions I’d possibly doubt, I would ask you for confirmation. I used to be a professional translator for the past 48 years and played bass for the last 11 years, rather unsuccessfully since I started at the age of 65 ::. Let me know if you have thought of your BassBuzz in French. Because of your pedagogy, encouragements and your art of demystifying all the straits talking about music encounters, I am sure you’d have a wide audience. I can’t wait to read what you think about this idea which I’m sure you already had . If this project works, I’m sure your webmaster/you/your staff will do their utmost to disseminate. If you like a sample of my voice please let me know lol. Cheers

4 Likes

@JoshFossgreen
Then I also wrote this
Hi Josh, I remember the name of this great guy: Erik.Kiser Back to BassBuzz in French, thinking about all of these French speaking countries : Carribean, Africa, even Canada lol

2 Likes

Hey @crippledring , thanks for the offer! I would love to do good subtitles in French, and especially Spanish someday. I will let you know if/when I need your help!

4 Likes

@JoshFossgreen
Dear Josh, thank you for your answer. While your lessons are pragmatic and reassuring for beginners, their content is quite detailed. In my opinion, musicians listening to a French voice would keep more easily focused than if they had to read subtitles. I have experienced the phenomenon as a technical interpreter and therefore, I can tell that subtitles induce such unwanted comprehension delay as it typically occurs between intention and action. Another technical point is that from English into French, the “expansion coefficient” (as they call it in the translation business) is as high as 1.07 to 1.12%. In short, there are more words in French than in English. Example : data processing => le traitement des données (15 char in English 24 in French). This comes from the saxon end of the English language (the saxon genitive) which voluntarily deletes articles and preposition as often as necessary. Latin is wicked :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Rather than subtitles, what if Josh did the whole thing in English but with a French accent?

8 Likes

Surely this is a matter of style? You can abbreviate the target script …

1 Like