Zoom effects processors

It’s pretty understandable why helix gets a lot of hype. I was afraid to get a multi effects that wasn’t bass specific but the blend knob makes everything sound good. A learning curve for sure, but really impressive.

5 Likes

Woops looks like there’s already a bunch of discussion about this over in the GAS thread.

4 Likes

I have a Zoom B3 and I like it very much, even though I bought it used and the button that allows for software upgrades is busted haha. I preordered a Zoom B6 but decided to enroll in the Beginner to Badass course instead. I can always buy a B6 in the future :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The new B6 has a balanced out for the budget price of $499! lol

4 Likes

Hey everyone,

I got my B1 four yesterday along with a pair of K240s and I absolutely love it! I was able to plug in my phone and play along with Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters. I was happier and calmer than I’ve been in a long time just jamming along with my favorite band.

Thank you to EVERYONE here for all your comments across the threads. For all the research I did on practicing silently, y’all were the were the most helpful and informative source across the web. This community is amazing and I’m so glad I can be a part of it.

13 Likes

Congrats @Amalgamus. Love to hear what patches and effects you end up falling in love with in there.

7 Likes

My B1Four should be arriving today. Tagging this thread for future reference!

6 Likes

OK, I’ve got it but when I connect it to my PC the drivers do not install so I’m troubleshooting THAT.
I played a bit with it and noted a little Hiss in the background when checking out some effects. I heard that it could be some of the older cabinet emulators. I’ll investigate that too.

4 Likes

It seems USB is the culprit. Same problem on the g1 four.

2 Likes

Yeah @groaner I started out with this unit for about a year. Same issue with noise when using the USB.

I just powered it via an adapter (you have to buy one separately - jerks) and ran 1/4" bass instrument cable in and 1/4" headphone out. With the backing tracks, internet audio etc via the 3.5mm jack on the back.

It worked flawlessly like that.

Any specific questions @groaner send me a message and I might be able to help.

4 Likes

@groaner this is the official adapter, but any DC9V / 500mA (center negative) will work.

4 Likes

My Zoom was hissy as hell as long as the USB was connected.
So it kinda was like: Change patches or load up new ones via the computer. Disconnect USB, use it.
That was the biggest let down for me on the Zoom.

What you can do is try different USB ports on your computer, if it has more than one. Desktop computers often have USB ports that are handled by up to three different chips, so that can make a difference, and you can also try different USB cables.
Or you can try adding one of those ferrit rings to the cable to see if it helps.

4 Likes

You may want to check out this app for editing patches on the Zoom:

I use it and it makes editing a whole lot easier. It’s Free!

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I found the hiss when I had it connected to the amp, powered by battery.

Through headphones I didn’t have the hiss.

I finally got it to connect to my PC. Not sure what I did different.

4 Likes

Hey, I’ll check that out. I just have the Zoom software installed now.

4 Likes

Sounds like a grounding issue when on battery and not connected to some sort of proper ground.

I might be the only person in this forum who sold his Zoom, just wasn’t needed between my practice setup and my remote setup (Boss Waza).

4 Likes

Will be selling mine very soon @John_E
Just don’t use it at all

5 Likes

I only use mine for the rhythm function. The heavy lifting is done by my Boss GT-1B.

3 Likes

That makes two of us. Three if I remember correctly that @Barney sold his.

I use a Harley Benton Bass Expander DI or a Sansamp Steve Harris SH1, both through a Boehringerixer/DAI, or a Valeton headphone amp for a lightweight practice rig.

I found the zoom box to be too fiddly and too full of goodies I didn’t need.

5 Likes

pretty sure most of us moved on from zoom. i found them to be fantastic learning tools but eventually i wanted more. or just different.

5 Likes