Zoom effects processors

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I found the hiss when I had it connected to the amp, powered by battery.

Through headphones I didn’t have the hiss.

I finally got it to connect to my PC. Not sure what I did different.

4 Likes

Hey, I’ll check that out. I just have the Zoom software installed now.

4 Likes

Sounds like a grounding issue when on battery and not connected to some sort of proper ground.

I might be the only person in this forum who sold his Zoom, just wasn’t needed between my practice setup and my remote setup (Boss Waza).

4 Likes

Will be selling mine very soon @John_E
Just don’t use it at all

5 Likes

I only use mine for the rhythm function. The heavy lifting is done by my Boss GT-1B.

3 Likes

That makes two of us. Three if I remember correctly that @Barney sold his.

I use a Harley Benton Bass Expander DI or a Sansamp Steve Harris SH1, both through a Boehringerixer/DAI, or a Valeton headphone amp for a lightweight practice rig.

I found the zoom box to be too fiddly and too full of goodies I didn’t need.

5 Likes

pretty sure most of us moved on from zoom. i found them to be fantastic learning tools but eventually i wanted more. or just different.

5 Likes

I think the major issue for me was simply not being able to leave my stuff set up all the time. As lazy as it sounds taking it out of a draw and plugging in cables etc simply became a pain in the ass so it stayed in the draw.

5 Likes

I think the Zoom units are probably the best way to learn about effects. You can basically create little pedal chains and reorder them and try different things for free. The quality of the effects are not bad at all either.

But yes, I sold both of mine eventually. Then got about $1500 into real pedals. Then sold all that and do everything in software now :slight_smile:

But for what they are, the Zooms are likely the best buy in gear, period. Inexpensive, good quality, tons of effects, and tons of other utility.

7 Likes

This was my stopping point, way too much effort for me, lol.

3 Likes

I’ll be selling mine as well for the same reasons.

4 Likes

Yep. I found the quality lacking compared to a HX Stomp.

5 Likes

Yes, the effects in the Helix are way better than what you will get from Zoom or Boss.

4 Likes

For heritage gear I would agree. Line6 has been on top of the game for a long time, but Boss and Zoom also launched new contestants.

The Boss GT-1000Core is a serious piece of hardware, most of the sounds are modelled after Boss pedals so this is subjective but the quality is there.

The Zoom B6 is a lot better too. It’s build from the ground up. If you like Zoom you should defo check it out. But my main beef with Zoom is the lack of updates and support.

In the end I would still recommend the Helix Stomp as the best multi-fx pedal for bass. They do awesome updates, provide new patches every year and offer support.

5 Likes

B6 is down to $450; 30% down from initial pricetag.

2 Likes

Wow. It’s normal price is $350 here (tax included). But that’s mostly because the yen is in the toilet.

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/detail/item/299032/

1 Like

Normal price in the US is $500 -_- $400 for the G6. The B6 was recently on sale for $450 and I got it for $400 as “b-stock/previously opened and returned” or something. Flawless condition.

So I’m in for $690 between my B6 and G6, and happy with both :slight_smile: No more Quad Cortex GAS for me :smile:

Ofc their support is ass and I doubt they’ll add much to either. My G6 was on 1.2 and the 2.0 update barely added anything. They might as well have called it 1.4 or 1.5…

I did confirm the G6 can load more. I forget the specific numbers, but the TriCho was at least 10% less CPU on the G6, same with the HD Hall reverb.

2 Likes

I have had my B6 for some time now and I’ve liked it a lot. Then last week I learned that I can edit on my computer and now I love it. It is so easy to edit patches and the order they are in. And they all sound good.

1 Like

Paul, can you change the names of the preset patches that come with it to anything you want (like on my HX Stomp) or are you tied to the names that Zoom gives you?

1 Like

On mine you can change the name to whatever you want.

3 Likes