Zoom effects processors

I haven’t used it with my new bass but I was on “Solid State” mostly but then had switched to “Reggae Bass” for a few songs.

That was with my passive Peavey, but I’ve just checked with my active Yamaha and the sounds are quite different so I may have to find a new go to setting.

Gotta love some of the odder ones though.

1 Like

I never used the presets, though if I had been I would have used probably the first one (the SansAmp sim with light reverb).

I used a few patch slots to make my own little chains with combinations of a compressor, fuzz, chorus, amp and cab sim, in that order. Usually for just practicing I would be using compressor, amp and cab sim. Usually I would use the Ampeg SVT sim, especially after moving to the B3n, because it did not have the Gallien-Kruger sim.

2 Likes

I tend to use Preset #40, AMPG Set. But I still haven’t really gotten around to playing with the pedal, and all the features, all that much. Mostly just use it for drum loops, sadly!!

3 Likes

I’m still mostly using it as a tuner. What a waste of a fun bit of kit. I keep meaning to take it and my Peavey through to the other room so I can practice when not in my study - apart from anything else I’m too distracted when sitting at my Mac and don’t plug in often enough.

2 Likes

To be fair it’s an excellent tuner.

1 Like

Just had a little tinker with it and found “Ice” which gave my Peavey neck pick-up played on the neck a sound something a bit like the Twin Peaks theme music. I was playing Sound To My Father unaccompanied - very eerie.

2 Likes

Anyone have input on Zoom recording devices? There’s a Zoom H4n Pro, and an R8 recording device that lets you record 4 and 8 tracks, respectively, with direct inputs from each musician’s instruments, including drums, if it’s an electric kit. Or, you can just record through the attached mics on the devices. It’s supposedly rough compared to recording professionally with mic’ed amps and such, but it’s probably a lot better than just my iPhone! They’re not super expensive, and my jam buddies the past few days use the H4n for basic rough recordings - you can turn the gain up or down for each instrument, it’s a pretty nifty gadget. Just wondering if anyone had anything to say about these, or similar devices, that can do multi-track recording? Also, what is your philosophy of getting good recordings of what you play, whether by yourself, or with other musicians? (Or did we cover this in another thread??)

3 Likes

Their recording mixers look outstanding to me but I have not tried them. Someone was talking about loving theirs on another thread though.

3 Likes

a friend of mine uses a H4 , it works pretty well for what it is.

4 Likes

Just got my B1xon on eBay. Doesn’t come with an ac adapter which seems wierd, got one on azon. Only impression so far is there seems to be lot of flexibility but also a fairly steep learning curve here.

3 Likes

The B1on is great! As for the learning curve, it’s problem is the UI is very spartan, but once you figure that out, it’s not too bad. I recommend clearing some space for your own patches (a lot of the presets are very deletable :slight_smile:

What I did mostly was play around with the individual effects in my own patches, eventually building up my own effect chains.

4 Likes

Yeah, with 100 or so presets I probably will only need to keep a fraction of them. Question: if I delete an effect can I add it back later, from say a pc?

2 Likes

Yes. If you look at the first post there is a link to some good management freeware and IIRC people have uploaded the existing presets as well.

3 Likes

you will want this

can change all settings, also can make a back up

4 Likes

it took me a long time to figure this out, but if you need to re-download or recreate the factory installed patches, they are all on the forum. just click on your device in the forum, you may have to go back a few pages to find them but they are there.

2 Likes

Yep, some kind person uploaded them all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So… 49 euros gets you a looper, a tuner, a glorified metronome, a compressor, and some sort of preamp?

That alone seems like good value for money.

And on top of that, you get sound modulation and effects (some of which are actually useful)?

To me, it sounds like a “shut up and take my money” proposition.

I want.

3 Likes

22e862e63f6e4db5661e45ae8ccdff1891834f0ed856e096b18b36322980b96f.0
@peterhuppertz you won’t regret it. I love mine.

2 Likes

I love my B1Four, I practice thru it all the time.

I have a cheap Peavy amp that came with my GSR 200, but I am in the market for a new Amp(s).
For now the Zoom does a great job. I run it in Bypass / tuner mode with my IPad in the am x, and it is great.

2 Likes

B1Four is a great bargain. I loved both Zoom units I had. And if you ignore most of the presets, and just use it in stompbox mode, you can learn a lot about effects.

The very first preset is super useful in itself (it’s a model of the SansAmp Bass Driver DI).

The compressors worked great for me, as did some of the chorus. The reverb was fine. Basically I liked everything except the overdrive/distortions.

3 Likes