Bass detox

Hello there!

I am planning my grand comeback to active musicianship after ten years of hiatus. More than a decade ago I was a bass player and played roughly 5 years in alternative and death metal bands. Since selling my RBX174 I completely lost all my skill and forgot mostly everything.
Right now, I am searching for an instrument in under ~1000 range. Being inspired by everything I saw on MTv in my teens, (still remembering the first impressions of hearing and seeing Would? Even Flow, Stinkfist, Dragula etc.) I thought a logical thing would be to look for something that would complement my taste and came up with a list of instruments: Yamaha RBX500 series, Ibanez SR500 series, ESP LTD B200SM. The list would expand unto Jacksons, Sterlings, G&Ls etc, all of the bases that should inspire me to pull them from the wall and play.
Though I am getting less sure of it with every passing day, jumping from one to another, thinking in terms of “how to sound like …”. And for a few days now I am in disarray since I am not able to choose between all of these tones and instruments, getting mad almost.
The idea came to me that I need a “bass detox” - which is to buy a simple P bass (Sire p5 or a Fender players series), corner myself with having less and build my tone up from scratch. Experiment with recording it, doing covers, using different effects, pedals, modding it with different pickups and looks etc.
I came here to ask your opinion on the topic. Has someone else experienced something similar? Is there logic in my conclusion?

4 Likes

I love your conclusion and support it - but would push to make it even broader.

If you’re going to get a bass, having any decent bass will be perfect for getting back into things, learning some bass lines and getting out and playing.
Every brand you mentioned would work wonderfully.

A broader way to think of the bass detox would be -
Detox from information overload / hypothetical comparisons now that you’ve got your list of basses and have an idea what’s out there.
Now - because you have a decent budget and every bass you mentioned would be a great bass and would do everything you need to do -
What bass do you want?

All basses are versatile.
Your playing them the most versatile.
So, if you get a bass you like the looks of and that plays well, you will find ways to make it work.

I only had one bass for over a decade of a professional teaching, studio and performing career. It was not the best tool for all the jobs, but it was the one good bass I had, I couldn’t afford another, and I made it work for everything and had a blast doing it.

There was a time before the internet when this decision was a lot easier.
Detox from the comparisons and over-flow of information, and go for the bass you like the vibe of and can afford.

Not sure if you live in a place where there are music instrument stores.
If you do, or if you can find friends or neighbors who have basses - getting to play on different instruments - any instruments - is super helpful for figuring out what you really like and don’t like.
I know this isn’t always an option, but had to put it here, as hands-on experience with the bass is the best way!

7 Likes

i love this idea.

i have a fantasy world where, upon declaration that i want to learn to play bass, i am only allowed to order The Basic Bass™ and The Basic Amp™ (or The Basic Headphone Amp™ if i dont want to be loud) and then… i have to learn to play. Then, before i am allowed to get anything else, i have to pass a test at my local music store that verifies i actually know how to play. Only then am i allowed to start the GAS journey and buy stuff.

as it turns out, for me at least, it is much, much easier and much, much more fun to buy gear than it is to practice playing.

11 Likes

If I understood you correctly, idea is that the issue is not in vast number of possible solutions, hence the object (bass) is not at fault, but the way of thinking should be modified. In case the thought process stays the same, there is a high probability that any instrument will produce these emotions.

We ditch the comparison attitude and look at personal preferences only, e.g. if instrument works for the player, he can make it work in any genre, and look fantastically on stage due to player feeling comfortable.

I never went to music school, but it sounds like something that music school might have :smile:

2 Likes

Sire P over Fender Player is one thought.

I like the idea of a P to learn on. Less to fiddle with as you focus on fundamentals. Plenty of time to GAS later

5 Likes

I totally get it. I basically get antsy when I own more than two instruments and immediately sell back down to two. I’ve gone through many and come back to just a couple I love.

5 Likes

Crazy as it may sound to some I truly believe there is no genre a PBass won’t fit. Even funk. It may not be the best bass for all genre but it wouldn’t be the most recorded bass in history if there wasn’t something about it that makes it as effective as it is both live and in the studio.

Having said that the best bass for inspiring you to pull it off the wall and get into it again is up to you and your preferences. No one here is gonna know that better than you. Is it looks, tone, feel, how it makes you feel when you’re playing it, how others perceive you playing it. What’s your specific trigger?

When you know and you find the bass that triggers it buy that one.

4 Likes

This.

I think your in information overload.

At that price point, you aren’t going to get a bad bass unless it’s an anomaly.

Pick what you think looks coolest. Just seeing my bass makes me want to pick it up and play.

A P bass is never a bad place to start.

5 Likes

Very true, no one gets mad at you for bringing a P bass

6 Likes

De facto official bass of punk :fist:

4 Likes

This^^^ 1000%

3 Likes

Same feelings after testing them out at the music shop.

Thank you all for a comprehensive advice! To have a finished story I will respond with news (maybe a photo?) when decision will be made, and I’ll find the one. I think I have an idea now :wink:

4 Likes

Yes please!

Godspeed and good luck.

3 Likes