10 Gadgets to Make You a Better Bassist (Or NOT?)

wow!! 4th quarter!!

Yeah, it’s not worth the wait… It’s just too much!

4 Likes

I do not! Hipshot is kinda the drop-tuner company, AFAIK.

4 Likes

Perfect! Will get one as soon as I find a black that fits the Ray34 :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This was enjoyable. Thanks!

2 Likes

Pam I bought the Korg GA-50 and I’m not at all impressed. It doesn’t always pick up the E. I keep checking to see that I’ve selected bass mode and not guitar.
I’m guessing here but I don’t think it would pick up the B on your five string. I even changed the new batteries in case they were low, still no joy. Mine may be faulty
, I don’t know but it’s going back to Amazon tomorrow. Oops! it’s 1:45 GMT so that’s today. :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar: @PamPurrs

3 Likes

just watched the video. I might get a fret wrap, I’m wondering about this thing since a long time. looks to me like an great little tool to have in studio !

4 Likes

In case anyone is wondering (or for future reference), Hipshot’s customer representative informed that for Ray34 (and all Sterling Stingrays) the right tuner is the BT7.

:wink:

3 Likes

Awesome, I just got. Sterling ray. It’s a SUB, but fits under the catagory of ALL sterling Stingrays.
I plan to get one sometime for this bass for sure.
TYVM for passing along the info.

4 Likes

In terms of the clip on tuners, I have the “Kliq Ubertuner”.

It is quite a bit more expensive than the Snark but I do find it easier to use (bigger brighter display and the needle is less hectic) and more durable (comes with three year warranty vs Snark’s one year).

They also have a handheld tuner/metronome (Kliq Metropitch) and a pedal tuner (Kliq Tinytune).

1 Like

Interesting! I’ve only tried their chromatic tuners. IMO, guitar/bass tuners are stupid, they’re just chromatic tuners with limited functionality.

5 Likes

Hey @JoshFossgreen, my hipshot does not hold the tune between musics when switching E and D. Any idea on what could be wrong?

4 Likes

I usually do this:

• Tune the string 1-2 half steps flat and then come back up to pitch, to make sure it’s tight on the post
  • Drop to D, then flip back, check/fix tuning
  • Drop to D, check if the D is in tune or not
  • If yes - golden
  • If not, tune back up to E, turn the calibration screw to fine tune the drop setting, tune the string if needed, and repeat

Make sense? Does that help?

5 Likes

Watched this with interest 'cos I have a Vox AmPlug 2, and I don’t like it.
Had a Vox Amplug for guitar a few years back and I didn’t like that either, very quickly sold it on ebay.
For me I find they hiss like a cheap cassette tape, the sound quality is just a bit unsatisfying, they feel a little bit cheap…
I just find them a bit “meh…” but I don’t know of anything similar but better.

The AmPlug is now about $60 Canadian, I picked up a 2nd hand bass amp for $30 complete with a headphone out and it’s soooo much nicer!
It doesn’t fit in my pocket though.

Now back to shopping for a clip-on tuner…

4 Likes

Concerning the Fump, can’t you go up from the bottom so that the g string doesn’t force the thing open wide? Like the e string seems to be doing when installed “down”?

1 Like

@infra of course it will never sound as well as a full size amp but you can simply put this in your bass case go to park and play (which is my favorite thing in the world) or pull out your bass on a long train trip if you have the seat next to you free and just enjoy the moment…

The hissing sound also goes away when you get the tone about 10% down or get the gain on middle level (playing slapp-pop with full gain and full volume is simply too loud for me).

Still there are better headphone amps out there. This one has a very particular purpose…

2 Likes

I’m guessing if the Fump went up from the bottom there would be the possibility of it falling out although I don’t have one so I don’t know.

2 Likes

Hey Dave, welcome to the forum! Yes, I did try that, and it just flipped the problem around, with the G getting more muted than the E. It’s not the string forcing it open, it seems to just be a problem with the shape of the design.

4 Likes

That’s too bad. Seemed like a quick work around. Maybe there will be a 2.0 someday.
Anyway, thanks for the response, I’m very much enjoying the lessons! One week in and I’m to Billie Jean! Love the structure and your teaching methods!

4 Likes

Well, I like my Blackstar Fly for playing my UBass (Bass Ukulele) with local uke group. Loud enough for group practice and has an upright bass tone for the acoustic feel. We have to play outside, cuz Covid, and it has been a relief not to have to lug a heavy amp out to the park, find an outlet somewhere in the shade, and drag around a mile of power cord. And I can make a quick getaway if it starts to rain. Convinced?

2 Likes

Welp, now I’m getting a Vox portable bass amp.