2 basses simultaneously through 1 amp

I know there has been a similar question recently, but I guess I need it cut out for me quite clearly by our local hardware experts here on the forum:

What is the easiest and cheapest solution to being able to play 2 basses simultaneously through 1 amp?

Background: my brother is coming up for Christmas. He also plays bass (better than me…) and while I have more than one bass, I only have one amp (Rumble Studio 40). How can we jam together with this one amp (always accepting that we’d play using the same tone/amp settings)??

I am guessing a simple mixer would do, but we could do the “mixing” potentially using the volume controls on the basses themselves, so perhaps there is an even simpler, more “basic” solution. I don’t expect to need this solution much beyond this one purpose, and we don’t need to record anything etc

Bonus info: I have an audio interface (Rubix 22) with two line inputs - can I somehow use this and feed the output back to the Rumble, e.g., 2 6.3mm jacks from the Rubix into the 3.5 mm Aux on the Rumble??

Thanks!

1 Like

ABY switch.

The switch I will probably get someday is the Boss LS-2 just because it is so versatile and does exactly what I want without being too complex.

It’s not the cheapest though. Most ABY switches will do what you want. Even Fender makes one:

You will want to be careful to pick one where the input is not purely an input but can also be an out.

2 Likes

Thanks, @howard - I knew you’d deliver :grin:

What I was unsure about when looking at these switches was whether they only allowed exclusively A or B, but not both at the same time… but, apparently that is what the “Y” stands for???

1 Like

Yep, the caveat you’ll want to watch out for is some only work in one direction AFAICT, while others are usable either way.

You could also use a junction box for this but they cost about the same and switches are more versatile.

You could also get a mixer, but you wanted the cheapest option :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ugh, sorry man, that I didn’t get… one direction: only A or B?? Or only A or AB? But not B or AB??

2 Likes

For some the input looks like it is a dedicated input, so you can go from the input through to either or both outs but not the other way. Others are usable the other way too, with A and/or B inputs being output through the in/out jack.

I am guessing that the unidirectional ones have buffered inputs and that’s why. The others are just direct switches.

1 Like

Thanks, much appreciated! Hardware stuff is hard :face_with_raised_eyebrow::thinking::crazy_face:

1 Like

No problem!

This one is even cheaper:

2 Likes

That’s the ONE - bingo!! Order’s going out in 3-2-1… :grin:

2 Likes

Oh, I missed the question about your audio interface - if it has a line out as well, then yes you can just send that to your amp. Not all of them do though. Mine happens to.

1 Like

OK, so going in through the AUX on the Rumble is NOT inferior to going through the standard input jacks (6.3 mm)??

So much to learn…

1 Like

No, I mean, if your DAI has a line out (6.3mm) you could then send that to the input of your amp. You’re essentially using your DAI as a mixer then and some support this fine. I am not familiar with yours though.

2 Likes

Cool - I could test that right away… I think I have the right cable for the job somewhere…

1 Like

Just a normal cable should work I think? To test plug your bass into the DAI and run a cable from the DAI to your amp. Turn the gain on the DAI and amp all the way down to start :slight_smile:

If you look at my DAI you’ll see what I am talking about: it has a line out (and an A/B switch built in)

2 Likes

What a most splendid of amps to have as your one and only amp :+1:

I have two amps but I’m glad one of them is the Rumble Studio 40 :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Alright!!! Success!!

It took me a bit to fiddle with the settings on the back of the audio interface, but now it works! Checked two basses at the same time - yessir!

Total additional cost: 0 dollars!

I can only wholeheartedly recommend @howard’s superb online help line!!

2 Likes

Splendid.

Well done !!

2 Likes

My pleasure! Just be careful with the levels on the DAI. Mine gives up to 10dB of boost on its line out and I would not necessarily want to send that into an amp :slight_smile:

Depending on your DAI you might be able to mix input levels there too. Mine will do this.

All in all DAIs are pretty awesome.

2 Likes

Will try to be careful :astonished:

Thanks again! Love this forum! On TalkBass, it would probably have taken a week to get the same information, as you would have to wade through tons of unrelated comments and a good serving of abuse perhaps as well…

3 Likes

if you plan to connect other audio sources / recording devices, you could look at :
https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT%20RESOURCES/MANUALS/Owners_Manuals/802VLZ4_OM.pdf

it has two inputs for bass/guitar, so you do not need a DI
If you want to connect it to your rumble, you can use the AUX IN on the rumble

it’s very versatile, I normally have the rumble connected to this one, along with my pc and some synths, going to a regular amp, so you still get the rumble punch and get it mixed in with other audio sources

3 Likes