2 for 2 - Quality Issues with Schecter Basses

So, I don’t know much about Charvel basses. But after watching the review done by LowEndLobster, out of the box…I’m not so sure I’d choose Charvel either.

And…they’re now $1000 and up.

A number of Charvel Pro Mod IV San Dimas basses have shielding issues and are very noisy. Mine did, just like on that video. But after I shielded mine (I used conductive paint instead of tape, I hate tape) it’s an amazing instrument. Super comfortable and the neck is amazing. They play and sound great, no question.

For me, definitely worth the price. That said, I did buy mine used.

I bought two of them, each one was between $700 and $750 new, these have discounts available. And not to get on the anti-shellfish bandwagon, Lobster doesn’t have the best rep for reviews around here. I like him, and watch his stuff for the tones, but take his reviews with a large dose of salt. I don’t want to turn this into a down with lobster thing.

But I have had shielding problems with Squiers and Fenders too. Doesn’t change the math - they build the Charvels in the same factory and turn a profit on the $750 they charge me, so having also owned Player instruments, you get more for the money with Charvel, and IME you pay something for Fender on the headstock

I think I’ve had shielding problems on every bass I’ve ever owned in this price range. Except for Ibanez… my SR300 and SR500E were perfect, and my SR375E had a little buzz in one pickup position which could have very easily been 60 cycle hum, as if memory serves that pickup position tapped the pickups as single coils.

Um. You know, now that I think about it, the Fender Player Jazz I had for a bit oddly did not have any shielding issues I could detect. Just standard 60 cycle hum stuff.

I had a player jazz that was a real beauty. Not saying they’re not good instruments

1 Like

Yeah, I really liked mine. I don’t remember why I got rid of it. Probably some stupid, impulsive, “sounds really good RIGHT NOW” reason.

I take it as my judgement is much better now but I’m really happy with my basses now and accept the journey

1 Like

This reminds me of the Stanford Marshmallow experiment.

1 Like

My two MIM Fenders don’t have any shielding issues. And back to the QA thing. As a consumer, with a brand new bass, you shouldn’t have to open it up to fix stuff to make it right…no matter what country it comes from.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations, thinking that we shouldn’t have to settle for mediocrity.

2 Likes

Agreed. But… who is to say that the basses I’ve gotten AREN’T right, and that my problems are related to excessive EMF outside of what they consider acceptable range?

I don’t remember who it was - maybe @John_E - who thought that my problems weren’t with the basses themselves, but with my house electrical and or other things in my neighborhood. I’m starting to warm up to that more and more, that the basses are tested for specific levels, and they pass, and my house is just outside of the levels they build for.

My basses maybe just need additional shielding for my environment.

1 Like

I had a couple basses which were okay at home, but at the place I took lessons had hum.

I have had basses whose pickups/electronics weren’t right for me but the bass was outstanding like @JustTim Schecter with the monsterous P bass pickups. So a simple pickup change or pulling a weak EQ makes sense.

I come from a Jeeping background. We buy Jeeps knowing we’ll need to mod it. I don’t mind changing pickups, it’s not much more than changing strings

1 Like

This is pretty obvious. Many MIJ instruments from many makers will come in at around the cost of a Player, but be close in quality and features to a MIA Fender. And people are paid just fine here.

1 Like

This was your first mistake - you took Lobster reviews seriously.

It wasn’t about taking Lobster serious or not taking Lobster serious. All the noise was actually present in the video.

1 Like

I have two FGNs, I have had 3 players which I have sold; the FGNs are so much better quality than the players. The cavities are all painted with electric resistant paint, and each cavity has a wire going from the paint to ground. My new Jazz only cost $502 along with $250 shipping, which puts it right in the ballpark of a player. And the 60 cycle hum is barely present even when on one pickup.

FGN makes Fender MIJ instruments btw so a good apples to apples comparison. Fender MIJ made its rep on instruments made by FGN and Tokai

1 Like

Yeah, 100%.

I buy his take that the pairing of the Model P/ Model J with that preamp was a poor choice; both are very hot ceramic pickups (that I happen to love). But you can’t extrapolate the issues he has with one bass (in one mode of its operation) that he happens to test to the entire product line.

As a similar example, Yamaha is famous for high quality standards for their instruments. I have owned many (and in fact own two now) and all have been exceptionally high quality for the price. However, one time I was testing one in a shop and it happened to have a preamp wired in reverse (volume and tone controls were swapped). Should I have used an isolated sample of one model of their line to make a QC judgement about the company as a whole?

I guarantee you Fender makes occasional lemons. I mean, look at their entire Gold Foil line.

I bought a Schecter Banshee Bass. Loved the look and feel and sound of it, but it had a loud hum when touching nothing. Had two different luthiers look at it. Between the two, had it shielded and grounded, but the hum persisted. I ended up getting rid of it because of this problem. Replaced it with a Fender Mustang, and it is quiet.

1 Like