4" pad for 2" strap

Well, woke this morn with neck and shoulder pain. Left side mostly. Den (Hubs) suggested that it may be the strap. Ugg. Soooo I went online looking at 4" pads, got confused and decided to come here. Why confused? There’s gel ones and foam ones and all different brands. What I have is a 2" Fender. I don’t want to buy another strap, just the pad to attach to it. Whattaya’ll who was in this situation get? And why. Or if ya ended up with a crappy pad, please let me know so I don’t end up with the wrong one!
Happy Slappin’

3 Likes

I use this on The Beast (my 6-string bass so-named because it is a big green monster lol)

4 Likes

This is a super personal thing. Wider padded pads or straps may or may not work well for you. It’s an experiment and find out. I prefer 2” straps that are super soft materials and has some padding in them (never cloth though as they dig in to me) to wider ones as the wider ones big my neck cause they rub up against it (just the way my shoulders/neck area goes).

A pad on top of a strap sound slippysloppy to me but don’t have an experience.

Add strap journey next to string journey on your list of bass trips. These are real. Haha

3 Likes

I got one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z5DBYQ4/ Mostly because the KLIQ Aircell straps looked like they were going to be longer than I wanted, and the short one only came in black. This way I figured I could use it on the cheap black strap I already had, and when I finally find a strap in colors/pattern that I like, I can just put the pad on it.

2 Likes

I use the KLIQ aircell- it’s free returns on amazon and is a must for me. My neck is very tender! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I0BGYM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

3 Likes

I need to get a longer one but I’m maxing out the KLIQ aircell short and I’m 5’9". It’s an uncomfortable length for picking but I can deal with it for slapping. Just to give you an idea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I measured where I have my current strap set, and I felt like 46" was just a bit too long. But, maybe I should try one.

On the other hand, with the pad, I can get this for a strap: Handmade Scottish Tartan 70's Guitar Strap by VTAR With - Etsy It’ll match my kilt :smile:

4 Likes

@eccentric_professor We want photos when you get the kilt matching strap! It looks so cool, but a bit outta my $$ range right now.

2 Likes

@Koldunya That strap looks great with The Beast! I looked at that brand’s Gel pads, they didn’t get great reviews, also saw the foam, that’s what brought me here. Thanks for your reply!

2 Likes

@John_E I have a feeling those aren’t the only two journeys I’ll have! lol

3 Likes

@Glitch Thanks! I’ll keep that strap in mind when I need a strap, right now I’m looking for a pad for the strap I already have :smiley:

2 Likes

Good luck with your journey. If there were one best way that’s what we’d all be using. Bit of trial and error.

3 Likes

@Koldunya Thanks, I went ahead and ordered that one, since it’s only 10.00 If it’s a dud for me, I can take the hit, lol.

2 Likes

@Wombat-metal Thanks, one of my sayings is “If we all liked the same thing there wouldn’t be any of it left”

3 Likes

@eccentric_professor I think you may like my single “Bullrun” Bullrun - Single (For Sharing) - YouTube

1 Like

I used to run Aircells, they were great. I also have a Gruv Gear Solo like @JoshFossgreen recommended; I like it a lot too, nice wide and springy.

However recently I have bought one of these:

COMFORT Strapp Pro Bass. I think it’s a Japan-only brand. I like it by far the best so far; thick and wide foam pad with a slightly smaller strap over the back, feels great, and not as slippy as the Gruv Gear. Also without the funky Gruv Gear length snaps.

2 Likes

I have one of these here in the States. I think I got it from Amazon?

2 Likes

Awesome! I looked but didn’t see it. Just checked on the tag and it’s actually made in the USA! Good to know.

1 Like