5 Beginner Bass Myths (Busted)

Time to bust some bass myths. You may even buy into some of these myths yourself, which could be holding back your playing. :sob:

C Major Scale Playalong

Experiment with stretching vs. “microshifting,” see what’s more comfortable for your hands. (but remember that you’ll get better at stretching with time)

Fun fact: For the guitar vs. bass demo at 3:59, I “borrowed” (blatantly ripped off) a Stevie Ray Vaughan guitar lick, who knows which song it was from?

BTW, this is my current favorite vid that I took a clip from for this video, Juan Alderete interviewing Tim Lefevbre about playing on Bowie’s Blackstar record: (he plays a bunch of lines from the record, so freaking cool)

Did you ever believe any of these bass myths? Or do you disagree with one of my myth busts?

5 Likes

Another helpful video - Question: On the playalong, I can play it stretching my hand and fingers, but some notes get played in the middle of the fret, not at the end. (I’ve got a tall, lanky build, big hands, long fingers, like you, Josh) Should I work on getting more stretchy with my hands, or should I focus on learning micro-shifting?

As for the guitar vs. bass myth, I’m guessing there’s some rivalry there. But coming from not knowing either, and learning both from scratch - man, I just feel more into the bass. Isn’t even about easy or hard, just connecting to the instrument, the rhythm, I just tend to grab my bass to rock with :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, be careful with the middle of the fret. It works sometimes, but if you get in the habit of using it, you’ll get rattley yuck notes. I would do both of the things you mentioned - work on stretching more over time, but also use micro-shifts to keep your fret positioning optimal (and to give you breaks from stretching fatigue).

2 Likes

Man before seeing this I just posted a couple vids over in the Good Music Friday thread that totally reinforce your point about small hands :slight_smile:

Basically, the bassist in Marty Friedman’s band here is incredible and is even better in her own band as well - just her and a drummer, Toast Machine style. Reposting the vid here:

4 Likes

@howard - holy cats - If I had known Japanese, i would have sung in Toast Machine… this. Rules.

@JoshFossgreen - killllllllller video. You and the guitar player (he’s handsome, by the way) - classic and awesome.
Also - thanks for the Tim Lefebbrrvvveeffh?ere? vid. That guy. Holy cats again. That’s twice in one comment. Yeesh.

2 Likes

Yeah, why weren’t you singing in Japanese in that band? I want my Phoenix Theater cover charges back. (awesome share @howard!)

And yes I believe that’s the correct spelling of Lepheverbruh.

3 Likes