5 string bass tabs

Hey, I’m toying with getting a 5 string just to try and see how I like it. Where is a good place to find tabs for songs with a 5 string bass? Haven’t had much luck.

3 Likes

I doubt you’ll find many!

The standard is still the 4-string and there are not many of the “classic” songs written with a 5-string in mind, and so tabs tend to be for 4-string basses, not least to be compatible with most bass players.

The beauty of a 5’er is that you get to figure out alternate fingerings that the extra string might afford you, and which might make playing certain riffs easier :smile:

PS: of course, if you look for specific tunes where you know the bass player plays a 5- or 6-string, you should be able to find tabs for more strings. E.g., stuff from Dream Theater (John Myung on 6-string bass here):

5 Likes

The only 5 string tutorials I’ve seen on YouTube are for Sabaton which is odd since Pär Sundström plays a regular 4 string (most of the time).

1 Like

Sheet music can be adapted to 5 string. To my knowledge, there are no tablature scores written specifically for the fiver. As far as finding tab transcribed for 5 string, I doubt you’ll find any. You just have to be creative in your playing and know when it makes sense to (for example) play the G on the 8th fret of the B string instead of the 3rd fret of the E string.
In all honesty, I don’t advocate getting into a 5 string unless you’re willing to learn to read standard notation and not rely upon tablature. Just my $0.02 worth.

2 Likes

There are a few songs I love which were played on a 5 string so I was looking for some more bands/artists that do. The song I had in mind is Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman by Bryan Adams. THat tab is scored with a 5 string bass, so I was looking for others that already are. I’ve tinkered with a 5 string at the store a few times and I love that low end B string. It’s like butta’ lol.

3 Likes

yousician has a few 5-string tabs, but I just checked, its only for 17 songs, and for all of them you need Premium+. They have a 7 day trial, though.

On youtube, there is the channel of Leo Düzey, he always plays on a five string, Although he will only use four strings if the original song was played on a 4-string. He has some five string songs on there, though.

He has a playlist with 5-string songs with 43 songs on it:

5 Likes

Songsterr has a bunch. It’s basically the best site for tabs.

3 Likes

For the most part, the only songs I play on my 5 string are those songs on Yousician :smile:

1 Like

I have encountered very few 5 string tabs. Generally, I’ll learn a piece as written for a standard 4 string and then apply a tidbit of theory and adapt it to 5 string.

1 Like

This is the way…

1 Like

thanks for that :slight_smile: I forgot about Songsterr :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s fine if you can do that, but I don’t have the knowledge or the patience. Although I’ve had a friend tell me she’ll show me how.

2 Likes

No problem!