5 String Questions

Thanks for all the feedback!
Thoughts on this bass? Ibanez Gio GSR205BWNF Bass Guitar - Walnut Flat | Sweetwater

And links for any used bass if you feel like it, because I can’t seem to find any!
(the yamaha basses were a little expensive for me not upgrading my bass)

N.i_T-R_O

I have an SRMS805 and it has the same body shape, necl shape, which are pretty much standard for the SR line; it’s basically an upgraded version. I love mine - easy to play.

1 Like

I’d buy a used SR instead of a new GSR personally.

One random example I just googled:

That one looks a little expensive to me - not recommending buying that specific one.

This looks close to what you’re looking for

1 Like

Hi,
I know I kinda left this thread hanging, but I have one more question…
So, guitar center are doing rental instruments now. I’m considering renting a 5 string in case I realise that I don’t actually need one. Is it a good idea?

1 Like

If it’s anything like the rental schemes in the UK you have the option to buy if you want to keep the instrument so what do you have to lose?

It’s a good idea if you just want to see if 5 string is right for you, as long the cost and time commitment isn’t ridiculous.

I’d say the players path is the #1 best thing about SBL now; I love it! My biggest problem has always been picking music i want to play and stick with long enough to improve my skills and players path has such a wide variety of genres and techniques that there’s always something for me to enjoy. It really fits my style too, i’d rather just play and learn the stuff that’s required along the way. Scott does a great job breaking down the songs and the workbooks and recommended courses are well targeted at the songs learned in each level.

2 Likes

Agreed… the winning aspect here is the “gamification” approach to studying technique and theory; along with a killer production value!

1 Like

I see a lot of people say “gamification” but i don’t really see much in the way of that… there’s an insignificant 4 or 5 question quiz at the end of a level and another short quiz to start the next level. In fact, i think Fender Play has more of a game to it, they have “streaks” that requires you to login/play multiple times a week. SBL has level and badges/certificates but so do lots of things… my kung fu classes had that. Real gamification is doing something like Rocksmith… and i have a hard time getting into that because of how they do the notes on the fret board vs tabs/notation.

1 Like

Yes, perhaps I was using that term incorrectly… I guess it was more the aspect of “learning by having fun” aspect I was referring too - short, manageable fun tunes, playing alongside a great band, trying out different styles and genres, “hiding away” the dry part without neglecting it…

Anyway, I think it is well done!

1 Like

I agree that it’s well done, I love it! It fits my learning style perfectly :slight_smile:

You can swap Rocksmith so that the on screen depiction matches the TAB direction.

1 Like

I tried that, i found it even worse :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hi All. New member here, learning to play bass and am beginning with a 5-string. I’ve done some searching through the forum and can’t find the answer to this question, so am posing it here; apologies if I overlooked it. The question that I have is whether anyone has shifted the strings on their 5 string so that the 5th is the E, with the 1st string being a B. I play a bit of 6 string electric guitar, which prompted me to ponder it.

1 Like

There are lots and lots of threads pertaining to playing on a 5 string, but I don’t know of any that specifically answer your question. Honestly, I have never heard of anyone switching to EADGB, it’s more common to tune them to EADGC. Most people (like me) just leave it at BEADG.
I guess you could do it, but is there a specific reason you would want to do this?

2 Likes

I am about to string one of my 5-strings EADGC… Just ordered the wrong C string in the first attempt :joy:

This is, however, much less common than the BEADG variety, as @PamPurrs also noted.

If you’ve never played either much, and want to focus one EADGC, that should be OK.

If you really want to try EADGB, that’s possible as well, but it is rather uncommon and you somewhat ‘break’ the symmetry of the fourths (with all the resulting consequences).

2 Likes

Thank you both for your replies. It’s not that I actually wanted to do it, per se; more that I was wondering if someone had done a shift similar to what I was thinking about. I understand what you mean re: EADGC offering an advantage to EADGB.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what would be the “correct” C string as opposed to the “incorrect” one you ordered?

1 Like

Ah, it’s a bit embarrassing… I wanted a single 32 gauge string as my C string, but I ended up ordering a 32 gauge guitar string (which I think is a D string for guitar) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes